Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 8, 2005

Hello, wise Proz techies. I finally made the jump from dial-up to DSL, and having set up the DSL connection I can't seem to be able to get online. My firewall (Zone Labs) seemed to be interfering, so I uninstalled it but still can't get online. I have spoken with my provider's tech support, and they mentioned that even after uninstalling the firewall, certain elements may be present that could interfere. Could any kind soul point me in the right direction? I am pressed for time and clueless... See more
Hello, wise Proz techies. I finally made the jump from dial-up to DSL, and having set up the DSL connection I can't seem to be able to get online. My firewall (Zone Labs) seemed to be interfering, so I uninstalled it but still can't get online. I have spoken with my provider's tech support, and they mentioned that even after uninstalling the firewall, certain elements may be present that could interfere. Could any kind soul point me in the right direction? I am pressed for time and clueless

Many thanks in advance,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EN-ES
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2005-04-08 07:50]
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
WinSock XP Fix Apr 8, 2005

First thing to try is this little marvel of a program. Free at:

http://www.spychecker.com/topdownloads.html

If ever it doesn't work, try to give some details, like your ISP, your DSL modem, where you have plugged (ethernet card or built-in?), which lights turn on, etc.

Best,
Esther

Susana Galilea
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
details Apr 8, 2005

Esther Pfeffer wrote:
First thing to try is this little marvel of a program. Free at:
http://www.spychecker.com/topdownloads.html
If ever it doesn't work, try to give some details, like your ISP, your DSL modem, where you have plugged (ethernet card or built-in?), which lights turn on, etc.
Best,
Esther

Esther, thank you kindly. Didn't work, though. Grrrr...

My ISP provider is ISPWest, I've had a dial-up account with them for many years and never had any trouble. The modem I just received via FedEx is a Zoom X4, if that means anything to anyone. It is plugged to the Ethernet port in my PC, and all the lights are on that should be on (LAN, LINK and POWER). That's all I know, I'll try tech support again tomorrow. In the meantime, if this rings any bells with any of you just waking up in a different time zone...

S.G.

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Try this Apr 8, 2005

I wouldn't make too much of the ZoneLab firewall but do disable the Microsoft firewall if it's on, it only causes problems.

If it doesn't work, turn off the modem and the computer. Read the instructions that came with your modem carefully. Restart in the prescribed order.

Bye!
Esther

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:27
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
I'm having problems too - maybe it's the same problem Apr 8, 2005

My DSL account at my new address works fine with a USB modem. But I bought a wireless router to use instead of the USB modem, which unfortunately does not pick up any DSL signal. The technical support people with my ISP have looked into it, and they say it could be because I live very close to the telephone exchange, there isn't enough noise on the line for the router to work (apparently DSL technology works on a noise ratio principle - no, I don't understand it either). But anyway, perhaps that... See more
My DSL account at my new address works fine with a USB modem. But I bought a wireless router to use instead of the USB modem, which unfortunately does not pick up any DSL signal. The technical support people with my ISP have looked into it, and they say it could be because I live very close to the telephone exchange, there isn't enough noise on the line for the router to work (apparently DSL technology works on a noise ratio principle - no, I don't understand it either). But anyway, perhaps that's the same case for you. Try another modem - one that will plug into a USB port at the back of your computer. I don't know why my USB modem works but the wireless router doesn't. All very frustrating. I was looking forward to working from my sofa, wirelessly...Collapse

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:27
French to English
Restarting Apr 8, 2005

Hi,

Shutting everything down, waiting briefly, starting the modem and waiting until it is fully ready, and then starting the computer is often very effective for resolving DSL problems.

Did your ISP send you software for your PC or provide instructions for security or TCP/IP configurations? Have you applied these correctly? Have you done any required MAC or other registrations with the ISP? (And then shutdown and restarted as above?)

For the immediate fut
... See more
Hi,

Shutting everything down, waiting briefly, starting the modem and waiting until it is fully ready, and then starting the computer is often very effective for resolving DSL problems.

Did your ISP send you software for your PC or provide instructions for security or TCP/IP configurations? Have you applied these correctly? Have you done any required MAC or other registrations with the ISP? (And then shutdown and restarted as above?)

For the immediate future, adding a DSL Router between the DSL modem and the computer (even with only one computer) is an inexpensive and very effective security measure. Linksys has good hardware options that are effective and inexpensive.

HTH Bruce
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Engineer ? Apr 8, 2005

Have you got all the correct information from your Internet Service Provider:

Connection type: PPPoA, PPPoE etc

Encapsulation: VC Mux, LLC

Authentication: chap, pap

Username, Password, IP address, Gateway address, VPI/VCI setting

Can you ping:

http://10.0.0.2

the default IP address of the router?

Can you ping a
... See more

Can you ping:

http://10.0.0.2

the default IP address of the router?

Can you ping anywhere outside your house/office/setup, your own IP address, Proz say?

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q2/zoom-x4.asp

The network settings on Microsoft are quite “deep in” (I've done a networking course, so I know).

If any of this doesn't make sense or isn't familiar to you, it may be time to call an engineer.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
From a non-techie Apr 8, 2005

Could it be that your plugged into the wrong phone socket?

That's what happened to me, after problems with my phone line was sorted by company 1 (phone services) I could no longer use my ADSL modem. Company 1 insisted they hadn't changed anything, company 2 (adsl service) just blamed ZoneAlarm.

After many phone calls to both companies I at last got through to a human being who was able to think laterally. He suggested that I try the other phone sockets - and it worked f
... See more
Could it be that your plugged into the wrong phone socket?

That's what happened to me, after problems with my phone line was sorted by company 1 (phone services) I could no longer use my ADSL modem. Company 1 insisted they hadn't changed anything, company 2 (adsl service) just blamed ZoneAlarm.

After many phone calls to both companies I at last got through to a human being who was able to think laterally. He suggested that I try the other phone sockets - and it worked fine in the kitchen. Turns out company 1 must have fiddled around with things at the station.

The kitchen might not be the best place for a modem, but better than my son's bedroom where I used to have to have it.

The ADSL modem has to be connected to the 'first' phone socket. How my kitchen (at the back of the flat) can be the 'first' rather than my son's bedroom next to the front door I still don't understand, but I'm happy.

Regards,
Madeleine
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:27
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Set up ZoneAlarm anew Apr 8, 2005

or install it anew. During installation ZA asks, how you are goint to connect to the internet. After new installation everything will work fine, I guess. Had the same problem with a laptop once.

[Edited at 2005-04-08 13:09]

Susana Galilea
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bingo! Apr 9, 2005

Robert Tucker wrote:

After going through 3 engineers, it turned out the modem had been sent to me with the wrong configuration And yes, it was a "PPPoA" vs. "PPPoE" thing, which I had never heard of before today, but I am not likely to forget!

Thank you all for your kind assistance and suggestions, and while I'm at it: now that I have a DSL connection, are there any gizmos I should be thinking of downloading for safer computing? I have AVG for antivirus, and my server does a good job of filtering spam. I have heard from a couple of reliable sources that a firewall is not really necessary, and that antispyware would be a better thing to have. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

S.G.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

need help with new DSL connection

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »