Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:04
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Dec 2, 2011

Christine Andersen wrote:

It is possible to draft a post in Word and then cut and paste it into the forums. As one who simly cannnot typew corectly no matter how hard I try... (sic),

After reading Christine's off-topic post here: http://www.proz.com/forum/proofreading_editing_reviewing/213217-as_a_student_translator_starting_out_am_i_taking_a_“proof_readers”_comments_too_much_to_heart.html
I thought it might be worth opening this thread to share the free "After the Deadline" plug-in http://afterthedeadline.com/
You install it as an add-on in Firefox or Chrome (not sure about IE) and it runs a grammar and spellcheck on any text box that you fill in on websites, forums, etc.

It checks English French, German, Portuguese and Spanish.

It's well worth avoiding embarrassing typos before they're published, especially in our industry!

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well... Dec 2, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

It checks English French, German, Portuguese and Spanish.

no usse from me, tneh...

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Built in Dec 2, 2011

Firefox and Chrome both have built-in English (and other) spellcheckers. They are also on by default, so I'm not sure how you could miss them. I would know about the built-in spellchecker, as I find it incredibly annoying - it's the... See more
Firefox and Chrome both have built-in English (and other) spellcheckers. They are also on by default, so I'm not sure how you could miss them. I would know about the built-in spellchecker, as I find it incredibly annoying - it's the first thing I switch off after installing a new browser.
By the way, the word you were looking for is posts, not threads. A thread is a discussion on a topic, a post is one contribution to such a discussion.

[Edited at 2011-12-02 15:41 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
built-in spell check Dec 2, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
it's the first thing I switch off after installing a new browser.

Indeed. That's why it's useful to have an add-on that you can just click on (if you want to) to check the spelling when you're ready to post. It doesn't automatically underline everything as you write.

Re. post/thread. You're quite right. I've just changed the title (thanks, Natalie!)

@Giovanni:

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
In the olden days... Dec 2, 2011

...before computers, editors used to proofread by reading every word backwards - that way your mind concentrates on the word and not the context.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to spot typos in your posts

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »