How to get to the person behind a domain?
Thread poster: Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 03:09
German to English
+ ...
May 6, 2003

I keep getting viruses sent to me from the address [email protected]. I\'ve checked with whois.net etc. and found the supposed e-mail address of the guy behind the site. I wanted to write to him and give him a piece of my mind. My plan, however, was scuppered when my e-mails bounced back saying address unknown.

How else can I stop this menace? Any ideas folks?

... See more
I keep getting viruses sent to me from the address [email protected]. I\'ve checked with whois.net etc. and found the supposed e-mail address of the guy behind the site. I wanted to write to him and give him a piece of my mind. My plan, however, was scuppered when my e-mails bounced back saying address unknown.

How else can I stop this menace? Any ideas folks?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Alison

[ This Message was edited by: alison1969 on 2003-05-06 19:20]
Collapse

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 22:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Virus May 6, 2003

Alison,

There is nobody behind that address, because that is the virus itself! You can download Norton Antivirus and update it weekly.

Regards,

Alejandra

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already have Norton Antivirus running May 6, 2003

I already have Norton Antivirus running and it updates automatically everytime a new virus comes out. So thankfully the viruses get deleted before they even hit my system. It\'s still a pain and just want them to stop sending me infected mails......

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
annoying emails May 6, 2003

Alison,

I am in the same situation. No matter how many senders I block, they always get around it and I get spam. Apparently, the virus gets ahold of addresses and sends things out automatically without the sendre even knowing about it. Then there are others that come from unknown senders that you will never be able to track because they just don\'t exist. It is a nuisance, isn\'t it?

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:09
German to English
+ ...
Glad you mentioned it May 6, 2003

I keep getting e-mails from that one on my Web-based mail account. I have always deleted them without looking, so I didn\'t check for a virus in particular, but I\'ll make sure now it ends up on the list of blocked addresses!

Thanks!

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try this May 6, 2003

Hello all,

First of...AMEN to the Norton Antivirus...but I also have the Norton Firewall which has been the best thing I\'ve gotten so far.

It not only blocks everything suspicious and immediately notifies you that your computer has been under attack, what kind of attack it was and (HALLELUIA!) it also gives you the name, address, telephone number, IP address and physical location (on a map) of who the attacker was.

What I have done
... See more
Hello all,

First of...AMEN to the Norton Antivirus...but I also have the Norton Firewall which has been the best thing I\'ve gotten so far.

It not only blocks everything suspicious and immediately notifies you that your computer has been under attack, what kind of attack it was and (HALLELUIA!) it also gives you the name, address, telephone number, IP address and physical location (on a map) of who the attacker was.

What I have done is write them back saying something like: STOP HACKING MY COMPUTER. That has worked so far LOL.

Good luck and get that Firewall. You won\'t regret it.

Regards,

Belkis

[ This Message was edited by: BelkisDV on 2003-05-07 01:04]
Collapse

mora339
mora339
Local time: 10:09
Japanese to English
+ ...
There may be a hint May 7, 2003

Yes. There\'re virus that sends emails out without the PC owner being aware of it. Among those there\'re some that creates a sender-address from nowhere and put it as a sender therefore when you receive that email it appears as if it came from like [email protected]. But that\'s just a coined address, doesn\'t exist. Many times those virus have multiple combination of words/characters to generate the sender-address, therefore it\'s different all the t... See more
Yes. There\'re virus that sends emails out without the PC owner being aware of it. Among those there\'re some that creates a sender-address from nowhere and put it as a sender therefore when you receive that email it appears as if it came from like [email protected]. But that\'s just a coined address, doesn\'t exist. Many times those virus have multiple combination of words/characters to generate the sender-address, therefore it\'s different all the times. You won\'t be able to BLOCK it. Because what you have to block will vary each time. I think.

I do receive those emails too and I\'m not blocking it. Goof thing is that we have A-virus software active and uptodate, so we won\'t have a big problem even though it comes.

I know some emailing software can show very detailed header and other information of an email message. I use Lotus Notes (even though I dont like it) and it does. What it does is it shows me what domain the email actually came from. Seems like any email message contains that info somewhere.

In the past I got virus-containing emails from dont-exist senders. Everytime I looked into the detail header info, it always told me that it came from a domain xxxxxx.xxx.xxxx.br (I picked [br] hypothetically here just as an example). Well... I can only think of one person in Brasil that can possibly have my email address because I have only one close friend in that country. So I kindly let her/him know what I have got. Bingo, s/he was not aware but was infected, so s/he finally got rid of viruses and the case was resolved. That might be just a very lucky case but I thought probably you might be able to get a hint from here.

See you.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:09
English to German
+ ...
Did you try [email protected]? Dec 21, 2004

New domains usually get an "admin" email address as default.

Although he is probably not to blame (because viruses are rarely so honest to display the real sender) but at least you could get into touch with this admin and let him verify that he is in fact not responsible.

Cheers,
Harry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get to the person behind a domain?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »