Thread poster: Arek Luczyk
Arek Luczyk
Arek Luczyk
Poland
Local time: 18:15
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 20, 2023

Hello, the Lenovo laptop model I'm after is not available in Poland but I found it in the Netherlands. Hence my question: is the Dutch keyboard layout the same as the standard US QWERTY layout?

Thanks in advance,
Arek

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Short answer Sep 20, 2023

Yes, it's the same.

Arek Luczyk
Arek Luczyk
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Dutch keyboard layout Sep 20, 2023

Good news, thanks a lot! Just out of curiosity, are there any other countries, except for Poland, The Netherlands and US (obviously!) that use the standard US layout? I'd be interested to know.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Arek Sep 20, 2023

AFAIK, in Europe only France and Belgium use the AZERTY layout, although each of them has its own national variation. The AZERTY layout was also used in Portugal on typewriters until the early 90s, but it disappeared with the advent of computers…

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
QWERTZ, QWERTY Sep 20, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

AFAIK, in Europe only France and Belgium use the AZERTY layout, although each of them has its own national variation. The AZERTY layout was also used in Portugal on typewriters until the early 90s, but it disappeared with the advent of computers…

Germany uses QWERTZ layout with Umlaut and ß keys, Italy QWERTY with among others accent keys for è/é etc.

Arek Luczyk
Arek Luczyk
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
QWERTY vs US layout Sep 21, 2023

Just to clarify, QWERTY doesn't necessarily equal the US layout, e.g. British keyboard which is QWERTY but some characters are in different positions compared to the standard US layout.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dutch keyboard layout

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »