Empty rectangle character (E.g. Alt+158 in Arial)
Thread poster: Jacques Van de Velde
Jacques Van de Velde
Jacques Van de Velde  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:24
Member (2008)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 4, 2003

1. Pressing CL1 (CL2) switches the teaching information for clamp1 (clamp2) ON ® OFF ® ON.

Problem: In a Word document about Japanese Robots I am getting the \"empty rectangle\" symbol shown above => CL1

The document is in English and the rectangle is supposed to be a alphanumeric character (a letter or a number of some kind).

Is there a known way to \"visualize\" the \"empty rectangle\" so it becomes understandable.

My system
... See more
1. Pressing CL1 (CL2) switches the teaching information for clamp1 (clamp2) ON ® OFF ® ON.

Problem: In a Word document about Japanese Robots I am getting the \"empty rectangle\" symbol shown above => CL1

The document is in English and the rectangle is supposed to be a alphanumeric character (a letter or a number of some kind).

Is there a known way to \"visualize\" the \"empty rectangle\" so it becomes understandable.

My system configuration details are: Windows 98 English, MS Word 2000 French version.

Customer\'s system configuration the document was created on is unknown.

Question: Is there anybody who is familiar with solving this kind of situation?

Answers are acceptable in English, French, Dutch or German. Thanks for any clue.

Collapse

Marisapad
Marisapad  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
try changing the font (if you are allowed to!) Apr 4, 2003

You told that the Word document is about a Japanese product, so probably it was written with a japanese font, not installed in your computer. That fonr may contain only the \"plain normal characters\" as latin characters, and then contains the Japanese characters in the places of the special latin ones.

This means that:

1 You cannot see any special latin character typed by them

2 You can on the contrary type your special characters ONLY if, BEFORE TYPING,
... See more
You told that the Word document is about a Japanese product, so probably it was written with a japanese font, not installed in your computer. That fonr may contain only the \"plain normal characters\" as latin characters, and then contains the Japanese characters in the places of the special latin ones.

This means that:

1 You cannot see any special latin character typed by them

2 You can on the contrary type your special characters ONLY if, BEFORE TYPING, you select all and set a font that is normally present in your computer.

HTH

marisa

Collapse

Jacques Van de Velde
Netherlands
Member (2008)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... changing fonts ... Apr 4, 2003

Dear Marisa,

Thanks for the hints. I had already tried all (I mean \"All\") available fonts in my system, trying to \"convert the rectangle\" to something recognizable. Unfortunately w/o success.

In the specifiv example the rectangle actually means a \"1\" (uno), which I can deduct from the context of the phrase (Clamp1 and Clamp2).

That suffuces for this particular example naturally, but not for numerous other where I cannot rely on \"intelligent\" gueswork.
... See more
Dear Marisa,

Thanks for the hints. I had already tried all (I mean \"All\") available fonts in my system, trying to \"convert the rectangle\" to something recognizable. Unfortunately w/o success.

In the specifiv example the rectangle actually means a \"1\" (uno), which I can deduct from the context of the phrase (Clamp1 and Clamp2).

That suffuces for this particular example naturally, but not for numerous other where I cannot rely on \"intelligent\" gueswork.

So, my problem is still upright and alive.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
undefined exponent?? Apr 4, 2003

1) Try pressing ALT and the number 2 simultaneously to get the rectangle symbol.

If this does not work - in Word - go to INSERT then SYMBOL - find the symbol and press INSERT and CLOSE.

2) Highlight the box symbol - go to FORMAT then FONT - then select SUPERSCRIPT.

Is this what you\'re looking for??

Jacques Van de Velde
Netherlands
Member (2008)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not an exponent. Apr 4, 2003

Thanks Jeff,

No i do not need to write exponents. (Belgian keyboards have them standard on the top left corner. Ex.: ² & ³)

This is the phrase I \"see\":

The \"empty rectangle\" actually is a 1 (numeral: 1). This however is a solution \"by guesswork\". CL1 stands for Clamp1 as can be guessed by analogy from the sentence.

... See more
Thanks Jeff,

No i do not need to write exponents. (Belgian keyboards have them standard on the top left corner. Ex.: ² & ³)

This is the phrase I \"see\":

The \"empty rectangle\" actually is a 1 (numeral: 1). This however is a solution \"by guesswork\". CL1 stands for Clamp1 as can be guessed by analogy from the sentence.

Unfortunately the document contains many more of those \"empty rectangles\" wher I cannot rely on \"guesswork\" or wher it would be too dangerous to do so. This robot has payloads up to 250 kilo (+/- 550 lbs)

When selecting them and looking at the font type (toolbar) the toolbar shows a set of rectangles too but a point size which is numerical. The occurrence is sporadic throughout the text body.

The week-end has nearly started over here and I should have asked support directly from Microsoft maybe. I have a lot of words still in front of me. I may take it up with MS then.

Thanks for the input.

Jacques
Collapse

Marisapad
Marisapad  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
I understand... Apr 5, 2003

...but if the rectangle is already \"in\" the document, you cannot do anything.

I mean, they had typed it with \"God-knows-which\" font and you can\'t guess it.

In this case, I would at least strongly recommend asking the client for the font name or even ask them to give you the font they used.

Otherwise you can try to install some \"general and popular\" Japanese font.

I have some of them, many others can be do
... See more
...but if the rectangle is already \"in\" the document, you cannot do anything.

I mean, they had typed it with \"God-knows-which\" font and you can\'t guess it.

In this case, I would at least strongly recommend asking the client for the font name or even ask them to give you the font they used.

Otherwise you can try to install some \"general and popular\" Japanese font.

I have some of them, many others can be downloaded at

http://langsupport.japanreference.com/fonts.shtml

or at

http://www.soyi.co.jp/download/

and at

www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/ recommended/ime/install.asp

Be careful, the XP won\'t work with 2000, ME, etc...

If you want, you can write to me privately and I can send you my Japanese fonts.

HTH

Marisa
Collapse

Rob Albon
Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:24
Japanese to English
+ ...
Font problem Apr 5, 2003

As you know, Japanese fonts are double bit, and even Roman letters and Arabic numerals may be written as double bit (zenkaku) characters.

It is quite possible that based on the environment (after a \"p\" in your case) the computer may read this as something else. You might try inserting a space between the \"p\" and the box, or you might try looking at it as Western European or some other keyboard, since the box may actually be a Japanese font\'s misinterpretation of a Western European
... See more
As you know, Japanese fonts are double bit, and even Roman letters and Arabic numerals may be written as double bit (zenkaku) characters.

It is quite possible that based on the environment (after a \"p\" in your case) the computer may read this as something else. You might try inserting a space between the \"p\" and the box, or you might try looking at it as Western European or some other keyboard, since the box may actually be a Japanese font\'s misinterpretation of a Western European font. For example, in a western european document some diacritics, or apostrophes after words, are misinterpreted as Japanese double-bit characters.

You can also copy the box and the letter before it (\"p\" in your example), do a search (shortcut control F), paste the P+box string into the search entry, and then replace all occurrences with the appropriate string(\"p 1\" in your case).

Hope this helps.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Empty rectangle character (E.g. Alt+158 in Arial)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »