Téma indítója: Pablo Strauss
Pablo Strauss
Pablo Strauss  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 00:16
francia - angol
Nov 27, 2019

Hello,

TLDR; How can I access the TXT (Wordfast format) version of my TM in WFP5 to share with a colleague?
--
I'm working on a project with another translator and we plan to share our TMs once a day. I have WFP 5; she has WFP 3 (corporate environment).

When I try to export my TM, it only gives me the choice to export as TMX.
When I try to find it in the actual TM folder, I find the JSON file and dvm files etc, but no TXT file of the TM.

I
... See more
Hello,

TLDR; How can I access the TXT (Wordfast format) version of my TM in WFP5 to share with a colleague?
--
I'm working on a project with another translator and we plan to share our TMs once a day. I have WFP 5; she has WFP 3 (corporate environment).

When I try to export my TM, it only gives me the choice to export as TMX.
When I try to find it in the actual TM folder, I find the JSON file and dvm files etc, but no TXT file of the TM.

I suggested she import my TMX into an existing TM, but she says on her end in WFP 3 she only has the option to import a TXT, not TMX (can't verify, don't currently have WFP3.

Any help much appreciated!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Hollandia
Local time: 06:16
Tag (2006 óta)
angol - afrikaans
+ ...
@Pablo Nov 27, 2019

Pablo Strauss wrote:
I suggested she import my TMX into an existing TM, but she says on her end in WFP 3 she only has the option to import a TXT, not TMX.

In WFP3, AFAIK, there is no option to *import* a TM into another TM at all. However, you can *open* both TXT and TMX TMs. If you open a TMX TM, WFP3 will automatically convert it to TXT for you, and then you can open both the original and the new TXT TM in e.g. MS Word or a Unicode-aware text editor and simply copy/paste from the one to the other.

In WFP3, go to Translation Memory > New/Select TM. Click Add TM, then make sure the Local TM tab is active (it usually is), and click the Browse button. She'll have the option to select a TMX file. WFP3 will open it and convert it to the local TM format.

You (and she) can also use Odent's WfConverter to convert between TMX and TXT. I have no idea where to get this utility at this time, so I uploaded it here for you.

Pablo Strauss
Pablo Strauss  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 00:16
francia - angol
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thanks! Nov 27, 2019

@Samuel Thanks so much for your generous help and for the converter! P.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP5, Access and share TXT (Wordfast format) TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »