Dictionary definition of "siphon" has been wrong for nearly a century

This discussion belongs to Translation news » " Dictionary definition of "siphon" has been wrong for nearly a century".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:27
German to English
dictionary vs. encyclopedia May 11, 2010

From the comments at The Guardian, it's not clear if the complaint is factually correct.
At any rate, the current Webster's New World College Dictionary (US) doesn't have it wrong (they don't say anything about pressure or gravity).
Which brings me to my point: a comparison of the almost interchangeable definitions of "dictionary" and "encyclopedia" in the current ODE (I don't have the OED) seems much more irritating. The real problem is that someone was trying to find and that someone
... See more
From the comments at The Guardian, it's not clear if the complaint is factually correct.
At any rate, the current Webster's New World College Dictionary (US) doesn't have it wrong (they don't say anything about pressure or gravity).
Which brings me to my point: a comparison of the almost interchangeable definitions of "dictionary" and "encyclopedia" in the current ODE (I don't have the OED) seems much more irritating. The real problem is that someone was trying to find and that someone else was trying to offer this kind of information in a dictionary.
Collapse

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:27
English to Latvian
+ ...
siphon of hot air May 11, 2010

Complaining about the OED definition looks like a crave for attention.

In his paper Dr. Hughes criticizes the dictionary definition but agrees with Wikipedia which basically confirms the dictionary that the atmospheric pressure is the main factor why it works. I am not sure if it was a genuine misinterpretation of the dictionary entry or dislike that it is too concise unlike encyclopedia, but I wouldn't call it wrong. I don't expect to be able to get a complete understanding how the u
... See more
Complaining about the OED definition looks like a crave for attention.

In his paper Dr. Hughes criticizes the dictionary definition but agrees with Wikipedia which basically confirms the dictionary that the atmospheric pressure is the main factor why it works. I am not sure if it was a genuine misinterpretation of the dictionary entry or dislike that it is too concise unlike encyclopedia, but I wouldn't call it wrong. I don't expect to be able to get a complete understanding how the universe works from the dictionary
Collapse

amanda solymosi
amanda solymosi  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:27
Hungarian to English
+ ...
I love that........ May 11, 2010

"I don't expect to get a complete explanation of how the universe works from a dictionary". Well quite!

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:27
Danish to English
How a siphon works May 13, 2010

This is a troubling report, and can lead to a lot of confusion about siphons.
Siphons do in fact use gravity, and air pressure. Air pressure is itself due to gravity. Gravity is what causes a normal column of air to attain a weight of about 14 pounds per square inch.
Everyone who has had basic physics knows that the maximum height that water can be "sucked" up is about 33 feet. That is with a perfect vacuum applied to one end of a pipe. Atmospheric pressure actually pushes water up
... See more
This is a troubling report, and can lead to a lot of confusion about siphons.
Siphons do in fact use gravity, and air pressure. Air pressure is itself due to gravity. Gravity is what causes a normal column of air to attain a weight of about 14 pounds per square inch.
Everyone who has had basic physics knows that the maximum height that water can be "sucked" up is about 33 feet. That is with a perfect vacuum applied to one end of a pipe. Atmospheric pressure actually pushes water up the pipe. A one square inch water column 33' feet tall weighs 14 pounds.
In the case of a siphon, water falling back down one side of an inverted U pipe causes a partial vacuum, and it is that vacuum that "sucks" the water up the siphon. The important thing to understand is that it is not the "sucking", but the atmospheric pressure on the body of water that pushes the water up the siphon, and if the siphon is less than 33' high, and the outlet is lower than the water level, which is a requirement, so that the weight of the falling water is greater that the weight of the water being "sucked up", the the siphon will work as long as those conditions remain.
I think this has been blown way out of proportion.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionary definition of "siphon" has been wrong for nearly a century

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »