Chrome browser growth outpaces rivals

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Chrome browser growth outpaces rivals".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Which is you favorite Internet browser? May 4, 2010

I still prefer Firefox. What about you?

l Gaston l
l Gaston l  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:48
Afrikaans to Ancient Hebrew
+ ...
I use Firefox, but I will use Chrome soon. May 4, 2010

Chrome is much faster than Firefox, and lighter, but currently Firefox has a lot of Add-ons that are currently not supported by Chrome. When the time comes I will go with Chrome fur sure.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:48
French to German
+ ...
I will stay... May 4, 2010

with more "secure" browsers, like Opera or Safari (which makes total sense on a Mac).

l Gaston l
l Gaston l  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:48
Afrikaans to Ancient Hebrew
+ ...
Right, security is key these days. May 4, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

with more "secure" browsers, like Opera or Safari (which makes total sense on a Mac).

I've never used Safari or Opera for personal purposes. Safari seems one of the fastest and most secure browser so far, I will give it a try.

Daniel Todorovski
Daniel Todorovski
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Everything May 5, 2010

RominaZ wrote:

I still prefer Firefox. What about you?

Opera, mostly out of habit (I use it since version 6 and spent years in customizing it).

But Safari for Windows is very very good (if you manage to install it without the 'baggage' it comes with). It would be my first choice today if I were a beginner.

I haven't tried Chrome mostly because of privacy concerns (I've heard rummors that it generates more traffic to Google then to the sites you visit). And last time I checked, few versions ago, it was very difficult (or impossible?) to force it to install to where you want to (wants to go to Documents and Settings). The true open source version, I forgot the name - Chromium or Iron - is a bit more promising, but always lags few builds behind.

Firefox is Firefox, pretty much everything is known about it. Though I scorn the recent added unnecessary clutter with tags and geolocation and what not...

I use IE ONLY for sites that won't work with any of the above.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Chrome May 5, 2010

For over a year now. And I love it.

Viachaslau
Viachaslau  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Russian
+ ...
Firefox May 5, 2010

I am more than happy with Firefox.

Being an ardent supporter of Open Source software, I encourage you all to think of OpenOffice for the 'essential' tasks, Scribus for simple DTP, Gimp for graphics editing and other free utilities, which are really many.

RominaZ: I still prefer Firefox. What about you?

Thumbs up!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chrome browser growth outpaces rivals

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »