Thread poster: Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:07
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2013

I'm thinking of changing my broadband provider. Does anyone have experience of Talk Talk which seems to have a good offer on at the moment?

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Used to be bad Jul 23, 2013

Talk Talk had a very poor reputation a few years ago, with lots of customer complaints, but I don't know if they're any better these days. Personally, I'd rather not take the risk!

clairetransl (X)
clairetransl (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Not impressed Aug 8, 2013

I recently switched to Talk Talk and am not impressed at all. The service is very patchy and I often need to reset the router. They are quite a lot cheaper than my previous provider, but the service is really quite poor.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Interesting Guardian article Aug 8, 2013

Just to add to the melting pot, you may be interested in this article in today's Guardian. Based apparently on 'research by Ofcom' (they don't cite an actual paper/publication, but I guess it must be track-downable), they give comparisons of some of the claimed speeds vs actual average speed and give you a benchmark of the speed you should be expecting to get.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
1. "Which?"; 2. Speed or reliability Aug 8, 2013

The consumer magazine "Which?" sometimes publishes reviews of broadband providers, including comments from its members. I think there was one in the past year or so, which I saw a few weeks ago. Your local public library may have back-issues of Which?, and you can see them there. My local library has them and I might have a look on Friday morning. As far as I can remember, Talktalk has a relatively high number of customer complaints, whereas Plusnet and Eclipse (and a few others) are better.
... See more
The consumer magazine "Which?" sometimes publishes reviews of broadband providers, including comments from its members. I think there was one in the past year or so, which I saw a few weeks ago. Your local public library may have back-issues of Which?, and you can see them there. My local library has them and I might have a look on Friday morning. As far as I can remember, Talktalk has a relatively high number of customer complaints, whereas Plusnet and Eclipse (and a few others) are better.

For me, speed is not particularly important (I don't use broadband to watch or download video programmes) but reliability is the most significant issue. My broadband service and my email service are provided by different companies. I have no problems with the reliability of the broadband (mine is "Metronet" which is now a subsidiary of Plusnet); my email (and domain name) provider is not adequately reliable and I am thinking of moving elsewhere.

Oliver
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
The same... Aug 9, 2013

clairemcn wrote:

I recently switched to Talk Talk and am not impressed at all. The service is very patchy and I often need to reset the router. They are quite a lot cheaper than my previous provider, but the service is really quite poor.

switched to TalkTalk because they are the only company to offer a 20MB connection in my area. But I have exactly the same problems... started very well, now the speed drops regularly and I have to reset the router... I do get more than the previous 10MB, but the service is rather irregular... also, their support is based in India and you have to go through their "script" before they do anything...

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Some conclusions Aug 9, 2013

The survey I mentioned yesterday was in "Which?" magazine dated April 2013. For broadband-only, the best appear to be Zen Internet, BE and Plusnet. More information (I've added the URLs myself):
  • Zen: the Lite package, for 18.37 GBP/month, speed 16 Mbps, monthly allowance 20 GB, minimum contract one month, customer service good,... See more
The survey I mentioned yesterday was in "Which?" magazine dated April 2013. For broadband-only, the best appear to be Zen Internet, BE and Plusnet. More information (I've added the URLs myself):
  • Zen: the Lite package, for 18.37 GBP/month, speed 16 Mbps, monthly allowance 20 GB, minimum contract one month, customer service good, overall rating 85% (http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/)
  • BE: the Value package, 17 GBP per month, 12 Mbps, no usage limit, minimum contract 12 months, customer service good, overall rating 82% (https://www.bethere.co.uk/)
  • Plusnet: Essentials package, 5.99 or 12.99 GBP/month (depends on where you live), 16 Mbps, 10 GB/month allowed, minimum contract 12 months, customer service good, overall rating 76% (but the website at http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/ says it starts at 8.49 per month)
(The lowest ratings included Talktalk at 47% and AOL at 26%)

For packages including the phone line as well as broadband, the best overall were Zen Internet (Lite + HomeTalk) and Utility Warehouse (Phone + Standard broadband).

From other viewpoints:
best speeds were from Zen, Utility Warehouse, Plusnet, John Lewis, O2, Virgin;
best value were Utility Warehouse, Plusnet, O2, Post Office (the worst value was Sky)
best for technical support were Utility Warehouse, Plusnet, O2, John Lewis; the worst for technical support were AOL and Talktalk.

Note: this applies only to the UK.
If you exceed the monthly usage (quantity of data) limit, what happens might be different for different companies. They might reduce the speed or charge for the extra data. If this is important you'd better find out (presumably from their terms and conditions) before deciding which service to use.
Note on symbols for speeds: M = "Mega" (million), m = "milli" (thousandth), B = "byte" = 8 bits, b = "bit" (one eighth of a byte).
MB is not a speed; it is a megabyte = one million bytes = a quantity of data.
Example: 12 megabits per second is written as 12 Mbps or 12 Mb/s
In some companies the people who write the website texts are themselves ignorant of this correct terminology.

I hope this information is useful to somebody!

Oliver
Collapse

Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Zen and BE Aug 9, 2013

Oliver Walter wrote:

• Zen: the Lite package, for 18.37 GBP/month, speed 16 Mbps, monthly allowance 20 GB, minimum contract one month, customer service good, overall rating 85% (http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/)
  • BE: the Value package, 17 GBP per month, 12 Mbps, no usage limit, minimum contract 12 months, customer service good, overall rating 82% (https://www.bethere.co.uk/)
  • Plusnet: Essentials package, 5.99 or 12.99 GBP/month (depends on where you live), 16 Mbps, 10 GB/month allowed, minimum contract 12 months, customer service good, overall rating 76% (but the website at http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/ says it starts at 8.49 per month)
(The lowest ratings included Talktalk at 47% and AOL at 26%)

Thank you for this Oliver. I have also been hearing very good things about Zen and Be. I've knocked the Talk Talk idea on the head now and will investigate these two further.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TalkTalk Aug 9, 2013

I've been with several providers - the last one before this was O2, which seemed good but then let me down badly when I moved house.

So I went with TalkTalk. I know it has a bad reputation but it does the job for me. Unlimited downloads, consistently fast speeds, no major outages (although I do need to reset the router fairly frequently - but this may partly be my fault, as I'm plugged into an extension and not the main socket).

These occasional glitches are no more tha
... See more
I've been with several providers - the last one before this was O2, which seemed good but then let me down badly when I moved house.

So I went with TalkTalk. I know it has a bad reputation but it does the job for me. Unlimited downloads, consistently fast speeds, no major outages (although I do need to reset the router fairly frequently - but this may partly be my fault, as I'm plugged into an extension and not the main socket).

These occasional glitches are no more than I would expect from any provider. There's a very good online discussion forum where you can get problems solved quite effectively.

One catch about switching providers: you may need to switch your landline, phone number, and email address.

[Edited at 2013-08-09 17:34 GMT]
Collapse

Pavel Slama
Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
I TalkTalk too Sep 25, 2013

I, for one, am quite happy with my TalkTalk. It's not spotless, and in the past year, I've had connection dropping during about one week (presumably until they fixed something), but overall it is great value unlimited service with very cheap line rental too.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Thinking of changing broadband provider - feedback needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »