Thread poster: Giovanna Canta
Giovanna Canta
Giovanna Canta
Local time: 14:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 28, 2007

Hello everybody,

I'm Giovanna and I'm 27 years old. I've studied English and German language at the University of Bari (Graduation in Foreign Languages and Literatures). I have been living in Rome since november 2005, because I decided to follow a Master in "Translation and adaptation for the audiovisual and multimedial works, for dubbing and subtitling". Now the Master is finished and I'm trying to propose myself to translating agencies as a subtitler (translating from English to I
... See more
Hello everybody,

I'm Giovanna and I'm 27 years old. I've studied English and German language at the University of Bari (Graduation in Foreign Languages and Literatures). I have been living in Rome since november 2005, because I decided to follow a Master in "Translation and adaptation for the audiovisual and multimedial works, for dubbing and subtitling". Now the Master is finished and I'm trying to propose myself to translating agencies as a subtitler (translating from English to Italian).

Next week I will be in London for some days (a friend of mine lives in the neighbourhood) and I'd want to leave my curriculum vitae at some of the subtitling societies and agencies in there (like SUBTI for example). This because I know that London is one of the places in which the subtitling market is most flourishing (right, isn't it?) and because I'm doing the best I can to find a work.

The question is: do you think that it could be a good thing to allege a dvd to my curriculum, in order to show to the agencies an example of what capabilities I have? I mean, a dvd in which I'll put some videos (a cartoon, an episode of a telefilm, a part of a film...), subtitled by me?
Or do you think it would be the same for them with or without the dvd? Do you have some other advices for presenting me and my work in a better way?

Tell me what's your idea.
Thank you all of you.

Giovanna Canta
Collapse

Rolf Klischewski, M.A.
Rolf Klischewski, M.A.  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:05
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Just ask them for a test Feb 28, 2007

If they're satisfied with your test, they'll most likely send you jobs.

[Edited at 2007-02-28 15:44]

Tiina Kinnunen
Tiina Kinnunen
Local time: 15:05
English to Finnish
+ ...
Don't use commercial footage Mar 22, 2007

Dear Giovanna,

one of the most important points in the subtitling business is to remember that we're always translating copyrighted material. So even if you've subtitled something for school, for fun etc, DO NOT distribute it without the consent of the copyright holders. No serious subtitling company will even consider your application, if you break this rule - even if you do so in ignorance.

And should you have the consent of the copyright holder (quite rare in my exp
... See more
Dear Giovanna,

one of the most important points in the subtitling business is to remember that we're always translating copyrighted material. So even if you've subtitled something for school, for fun etc, DO NOT distribute it without the consent of the copyright holders. No serious subtitling company will even consider your application, if you break this rule - even if you do so in ignorance.

And should you have the consent of the copyright holder (quite rare in my experience, 15+ years in the business), make sure you include the express permission in your CV.

Best wishes
Tiina Kinnunen
Finland
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling agencies: how to present yourself

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »