Which software for subtitles with Netflix rules?
Thread poster: Heike Funke
Heike Funke
Heike Funke
Germany
Local time: 21:56
English to German
+ ...
Jan 1

Hello,
I have worked with Subtitle Edit so far. Now I have a job where the Netflix guidelines have to be adhered to. I have tested EZTitles for this. Compared to Subtitle Edit, it offers the advantage that errors in the shot changes are displayed graphically and can be corrected easily. My question: Is there any other software that can handle the Netflix guidelines well and which is not so expensive?
Thanks for your tips.

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
SubtitleNEXT Jan 1

Hello, Heike.

I’ve been using SubtitleNEXT Explorer for many years now.

Based on my long-standing experience as a professional subtitler having tested many software packages, I can say it has the best value for money. Shot changes are conveniently marked with flags, you have a frame counter, it’s packed with features that save you so much time and the best part is you can make it do whatever you please using programmable shortcuts and macros.

If you hav
... See more
Hello, Heike.

Based on my long-standing experience as a professional subtitler having tested many software packages, I can say it has the best value for money. Shot changes are conveniently marked with flags, you have a frame counter, it’s packed with features that save you so much time and the best part is you can make it do whatever you please using programmable shortcuts and macros.

If you haven’t tried professional software before, your learning curve might not be short, but it will definitely be worth it.

Good luck.

[Modificato alle 2024-01-01 22:10 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:56
English to Russian
Subtitle Edit Overview by Netflix Jan 1

Isn't it Netflix itself that recommends using Subtitle Edit on their website?
See more
https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000258712-Subtitle-Edit

[Edited at 2024-01-01 22:26 GMT]
Collapse

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Jan 1

Netflix itself uses Originator. Regarding their spec compliance, Subtitle Edit should be able to check that. You can also try the web-based OOONA Translate Pro, to the disadvantage that you'll have to use Google Chrome or one of its derivatives to access it, e.g., Brave or Vivaldi. I happen to be a Firefox fan, so this has always been a big issue for me. Currently, I'm trying to convince them to add support for Firefox, though it doesn't seem to be making any meaningful progress so far.
... See more
Netflix itself uses Originator. Regarding their spec compliance, Subtitle Edit should be able to check that. You can also try the web-based OOONA Translate Pro, to the disadvantage that you'll have to use Google Chrome or one of its derivatives to access it, e.g., Brave or Vivaldi. I happen to be a Firefox fan, so this has always been a big issue for me. Currently, I'm trying to convince them to add support for Firefox, though it doesn't seem to be making any meaningful progress so far.

Personally speaking, I'm biased towards Subtitle Edit, as I'm a free (as in freedom) and open-source software advocate. Proprietary software solutions are unethical, according to the Free Software Movement.

[Edited at 2024-01-01 23:08 GMT]
Collapse

Heike Funke
Heike Funke
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Differences? Jan 2

Monica Paolillo wrote:

Hello, Heike.

If you haven’t tried professional software before, your learning curve might not be short, but it will definitely be worth it.

Good luck.

[Modificato alle 2024-01-01 22:10 GMT]

Hi Monica,

Thank you for your answer. What are the advantages in comparison to EZTitles?

Heike Funke
Heike Funke
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too circuitous. Jan 2

Stepan Konev wrote:

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000258712-Subtitle-Edit

[Edited at 2024-01-01 22:26 GMT]

Hi Stepan,

I don't mind if they recommend it. SE is super for "normal" subtitles. But handling Netflix rules and correct the errors is too circuitous.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
I don't think… Jan 4

…you will find a "100% Netflix rules compliant" software. Yes, you can easily set some parameters such as CPS etc., but shot changes are an issue, they are detected differently from software to software.

brovxidfmgan (X)

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Jan 5

Gianni Pastore wrote:
[I don't think] you will find a "100% Netflix rules compliant" software. Yes, you can easily set some parameters such as CPS etc., but shot changes are an issue, they are detected differently from software to software.

I don't know, Gianni. It doesn't sound like OP is looking for 100% Netflix rules compliant software to me. The way I interpreted Heike's question, is they wanted a subtitling program with more user-friendly QA modules than what Subtitle Edit offers, but also not as expensive as EZTitles. I never find SE to be complicated to use. But to each their own, I suppose.

[Edited at 2024-01-05 01:32 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:56
English to Russian
Seconded Jan 7

Novian Cahyadi wrote:
I never find SE to be complicated to use.
Me either. You can always set all the values and limits in SE options to meet the Netflix requirements. Can't see a problem here...

[Edited at 2024-01-07 14:34 GMT]

brovxidfmgan (X)

Heike Funke
Heike Funke
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 12

Thank you very much for your answers. I subscribed for one month to EZT and I really love to work with it. The support is really great, you can ask whatever you want to know. Also I found out some tricks

Have a great day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which software for subtitles with Netflix rules?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »