Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 05:28
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
Jun 13, 2005

Hello,

Does anybody know (or have any experience in) how to write a bilingual dictionary? I am about to start writing one and when ready to publish it as a book. I wonder which software is used for this job in order to put it on the right format in order to get the final result like:
DUTY ['dju:ti], s. 1. ubbidienza, rispetto; ossequi: to pay (o to present) one's - to s.o., presentare i propri ossequi a qlcu. 2. dovere etc. etc.

Thanks in advance for all possible
... See more
Hello,

Does anybody know (or have any experience in) how to write a bilingual dictionary? I am about to start writing one and when ready to publish it as a book. I wonder which software is used for this job in order to put it on the right format in order to get the final result like:
DUTY ['dju:ti], s. 1. ubbidienza, rispetto; ossequi: to pay (o to present) one's - to s.o., presentare i propri ossequi a qlcu. 2. dovere etc. etc.

Thanks in advance for all possible reactions.
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:28
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
TshwaneLex Jun 13, 2005

Surely there are many software on the market, commercial or free.
I run a quick search for "bilingual dictionary software database" and found this product
http://tshwanedje.com/tshwanelex/
sold for 100 to 1500 EUR, and having an impressive list of features.

Note that this is not a recommendation, it is just something I have found in 10 seconds.

At the minimum
... See more
Surely there are many software on the market, commercial or free.
I run a quick search for "bilingual dictionary software database" and found this product
http://tshwanedje.com/tshwanelex/
sold for 100 to 1500 EUR, and having an impressive list of features.

Note that this is not a recommendation, it is just something I have found in 10 seconds.

At the minimum level you could even start with a simple MS Access form and a simple data structure, to have your data exported later, when their volume exceeds the capabilities of your first tool.

Good luck for your project
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-06-13 09:37]
Collapse

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:28
English to Swedish
+ ...
Lexicon. Jun 13, 2005

I agree with Gianfranco. Start building in ie. MSExell or similar that can handle text and is big enough accomodate what You have in mind. When the time comes, contact Your publisher and continue from there.

And don't give up! I started a similar project SE-EN some years ago. Even with 50 words/day I'm only halfway through.

Lars

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Jun 13, 2005

Thank you both Gianfranco and Lars for your comments and suggestions. These are very useful to me.

Take care,

Sherefedin

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Suggestion Jun 13, 2005

Dear shm,

I suggest you contacting Mr Igor Kudashev from Department of Translation Studies of the University of Helsinki in Kouvola.

I know that he has developed such a software himself. What I don't is whether he is sharing it and on what basis.

I just have found link about it, they obviously finished ti.<
... See more
Dear shm,

I suggest you contacting Mr Igor Kudashev from Department of Translation Studies of the University of Helsinki in Kouvola.

I know that he has developed such a software himself. What I don't is whether he is sharing it and on what basis.

I just have found link about it, they obviously finished ti.
http://www.ismal.hi.is/NORDTERM_2005_SAMMENDRAG.htm#IKIK

You'll find his email on the net.

Good luck.
Natalia
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:28
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Toolbox - interesting (and free) tool for creating dictionaries Feb 14, 2008

I know it has been quite a while but I have just found this interesting tool for creating dictionaries - it is a free program called Toolbox and more information about it may be found here: http://www.sil.org/computing/toolbox/index.htm

Best Regards
Stanislaw

romanguide
romanguide
English
can anybody tell me Sep 17, 2008

Can anybody tell me where I can find softwares for compiling dictionaries, besides the one all of you have listed already?

Thank you

stefano

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have purchased this software Sep 17, 2008

http://www.tshwanedje.com/tshwanelex/

romanguide
romanguide
English
I have meant something else Sep 18, 2008

I have written: besides the softwares listed in this thread such as http://tshwanedje.com/tshwanelex/ which costs 1500 EURO and of coursde is very expensive, does somebody else know if there are other softwares for compiling dictionaries?

Thank you

stf

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@romanguide May 23, 2011

Try this one:

http://www.translex.co.uk/termXpro.html

It costs only € 79.95.

Michael

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
WordFinder May 26, 2011

Not really an answer to your question, but some readers may find it useful.
Information about the program is available, eg, via Google.

Its the first thing I open when I switch on my computer, and wouldn't be without it.
Mine contains several dictionaries and glossaries, including my own extensive glossary of mainly technical terms compiled through the years, mainly Swedish/English and vice versa.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:28
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
For your language it might be a good and profitable effort May 26, 2011

But if someone wants to write an English to Chinese dictionary, he will not be able to sell many copies. There are too many Eng-Chi or Chi-Eng dictionaries, either in the paper format or online.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Why do you need special software? May 27, 2011

I wrote the German-English half of a pocket two-way dictionary once, and I just did it in Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to write a dictionary?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »