Thread poster: Movingpix
Movingpix
Movingpix  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
Japanese to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2011

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask this question, once and for all.

Is there anyone who is successfully using latest Wordfast (either classic or Pro)
to work with TTX files given by the agency?

After lots of confusing reading, it is possible by either having the agency send me
- TMX files intead of TTX
- or have them pre-segment the TTX?

Is this method of working feasible for a long term?
What are the additional steps that
... See more
Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask this question, once and for all.

Is there anyone who is successfully using latest Wordfast (either classic or Pro)
to work with TTX files given by the agency?

After lots of confusing reading, it is possible by either having the agency send me
- TMX files intead of TTX
- or have them pre-segment the TTX?

Is this method of working feasible for a long term?
What are the additional steps that the agency must take and potential pitfalls or errors?
They seem to give me subtle message to purchase Trados.

If anyone is able to work this way without running into troubles/bugs, I would very much
appreciate pointers. I was corresponding with the Wordfast support but their replies are
very short and not detailed enough. It sounds little bit daunting but at this point, I don't
have funds to buy Trados.

I would consider buying Trados, despite the unjustified high price as some say, when
I earn enough from translation to afford it.

Any opinions/advice from "translators" (not WF, Trados support people) would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:26
English to Thai
+ ...
Trados 2007 Oct 11, 2011

I Use WordFast Classic with Trados Workbench+Word interface (interchangeable).

I convert TTX into *.rtf file (with a freeware) and translate/clean with WordFast Classic.

I use TMX TM both in Trados and WordFast Classic/Pro.

I use WF TM in Trados 2007/2009 with some tricks.
If you know algorithm of WF (e.g. TXML/tagged Word format), use of Trados is quite easy.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Alma de Kok
Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:26
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
tmx Oct 11, 2011

I have only one client with Trados. He sends me the original Word-file and a translation memory in tmx-format which opens nicely in WFPro (and Classic). I usually translate in Classic for this client, because he wants to receive an unclean Word-file.

Regards,
Alma

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Presegmented ttx Oct 11, 2011

With WFP you need someone with Trados to presegment them (pretranslate). After that there is no problem, I have done it lots of times in the past.

Movingpix
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pre-segmenting Oct 11, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

With WFP you need someone with Trados to presegment them (pretranslate). After that there is no problem, I have done it lots of times in the past.

Dear Heinrich,

Thanks for the information.

Just want to make sure,
when you say presegmenting, that is not the same as converting to TMX format, correct?

Sorry I still need to familiarize myself with the terms here.

thank you,

Movingpix

Movingpix
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clean vs Unclean Oct 11, 2011

Alma de Kok wrote:

I have only one client with Trados. He sends me the original Word-file and a translation memory in tmx-format which opens nicely in WFPro (and Classic). I usually translate in Classic for this client, because he wants to receive an unclean Word-file.

Regards,
Alma

Thank you Alma,

I have yet to master the terms, "clean vs. unclean".
When you say "unclean", what does it mean?

I think usually agencies using Trados will send me TTX files,
they expect translator to do work on those files and only send those TTX files back.
So when you say "unclean Word-file" are you overwriting directly on the
original word file, using WF and sending back that Word file?
Is that a common practice?

Thank you so much,

Movingpix

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:26
French to English
some clarifications Oct 11, 2011

TMX: the format that can be used to exchange translation memories, this is separate from the actual file to be translated

Clean/unclean: this concept only applies to WF classic and some Trados versions (somebody please confirm as I am not sure about Studio). An "unclean" file is a segmented file, with both source and target. It's an intermediary format, when work is in progress. In WF Classic, you can send an unclean file to an agency, for proofreading for example, or so they can cl
... See more
TMX: the format that can be used to exchange translation memories, this is separate from the actual file to be translated

Clean/unclean: this concept only applies to WF classic and some Trados versions (somebody please confirm as I am not sure about Studio). An "unclean" file is a segmented file, with both source and target. It's an intermediary format, when work is in progress. In WF Classic, you can send an unclean file to an agency, for proofreading for example, or so they can clean up the file and add the translation units (TUs) to their translation memory (TM). An unclean file made in WFC can also be opened and processed in Trados, as far as I know it's pretty much identical to the Trados Workbench format (again, versions to be confirmed). A "clean" file is a target language file only, it is the final product after cleaning up the unclean file.

In WF Pro, it is a different system, there is no "unclean" file format and no need to clean up, at the end of translation you just "save translated file". If you are working with a Trados customer who expects an unclean file to be delivered, don't use WFP as Alma mentioned.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
Finnish to French
The procedure is documented in the KB Oct 18, 2011

Movingpix wrote:
when you say presegmenting, that is not the same as converting to TMX format, correct?

The procedure for translating TTX files with Wordfast Pro is documented here:

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=138-35

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast Pro really works with Trados?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »