Do EPS viewer files only comprise a single page?
Thread poster: Sarah Port
Sarah Port
Sarah Port  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:05
German to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2011

I am working with EPS viewer software for the first time and it appears to me as if each file only consists of a single page as I cannot find a feature which allows you to move to any subsequent pages. I am only asking as I do not want to inadvertently omit to translate any subsequent pages in the file which may exist.

Many thanks in advance.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:05
English
+ ...
Yes Jul 21, 2011

The EPS format is defined in Adobe Technical Document #5002, available at http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/5002.EPSF_Spec.pdf . The first paragraph in section 1 states
An encapsulated PostScript file is a PostScript language program describing
the appearance of a single page.

Applications that import EPS files
... See more
The EPS format is defined in Adobe Technical Document #5002, available at http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/5002.EPSF_Spec.pdf . The first paragraph in section 1 states
An encapsulated PostScript file is a PostScript language program describing
the appearance of a single page.

Applications that import EPS files are expected to ignore the showpage operator (redefining it to the no-op procedure), so even if the EPS violates the specification it will still show up as only one page.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TIFFs have several pages Jul 21, 2011

Indeed I have never seen a multi-page EPS file, but I have seen multi-page TIFF files.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:05
English
+ ...
TIFF files Jul 21, 2011

Indeed. Multi-page TIFF files are used for faxes, for example.

I didn’t realize that TIFF is also an Adobe specification. It is available at http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/tiff/TIFF6.pdf and on page 16 it states

There may be more than one IFD in a TIFF file. Each IFD defines a subfile. One
potential use of subfiles i... See more
Indeed. Multi-page TIFF files are used for faxes, for example.

I didn’t realize that TIFF is also an Adobe specification. It is available at http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/tiff/TIFF6.pdf and on page 16 it states

There may be more than one IFD in a TIFF file. Each IFD defines a subfile. One
potential use of subfiles is to describe related images, such as the pages of a facsimile transmission. A Baseline TIFF reader is not required to read any IFDs
beyond the first one.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TIFF was not Adobe's creation Jul 21, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:
I didn’t realize that TIFF is also an Adobe specification.

Actually it was Aldus who created the standard, along with other things now considered "pure Adobe". Aldus merged with Adobe in 1994.

I reckon Adobe's first triumph was the creation of PostScript, which was quickly adopted by the prepress industry and gradually became omnipresent. PDF was their next big breakthrough, and today Adobe seems as critical to human communications as Google ir for Internet users.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do EPS viewer files only comprise a single page?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »