AutoCAD source files
Thread poster: Chinmayi Sripada
Chinmayi Sripada
Chinmayi Sripada
Local time: 09:17
English to German
+ ...
Sep 8, 2009

I have received AutoCAD drawings with text in German and the client says that the text should be translated and placed on the drawing itself.
Could you kindly let me know how this can be done?

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:47
English to Hungarian
You can... Sep 8, 2009

get important information at:

www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/147/1/How-to-translate-a-CAD-drawing-with-a-CAT-tool

and about TranslateCAD tool at:
... See more
get important information at:

www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/147/1/How-to-translate-a-CAD-drawing-with-a-CAT-tool

and about TranslateCAD tool at:

www.translationtospanish.com/cad/download.htm
Collapse

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 06:47
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TRANS.VLX plug-in Sep 8, 2009

http://www.xanadu.cz/en/apps/trans/

TRANS.VLX - Translation of drawing texts
(C)2009, CAD Studio, XANADU a.s., www.xanadu.cz

The TRANS tool assists in machine translation of AutoCAD
drawing texts. You can use it with any translation tool
which translates plain text files.
... See more
http://www.xanadu.cz/en/apps/trans/

TRANS.VLX - Translation of drawing texts
(C)2009, CAD Studio, XANADU a.s., www.xanadu.cz

The TRANS tool assists in machine translation of AutoCAD
drawing texts. You can use it with any translation tool
which translates plain text files.
TRANS tool offers a pair of commands: TR_WRITE and TR_READ.
First use TR_WRITE to export the selected texts (TEXT, MTEXT,
DIMENSION, MULTILEADER, block attribute) to a text file.
Now translate this text file using your favorite
translation tool (or just manually). Read back the
translated file (changing the text in your drawing but
not its properties - position, layer, height, color, etc.)
using the TR_READ command.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:47
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Saving AutoCAD files with a non-AutoCAD program. Sep 8, 2009

Be warned about saving any AutoCAD file using a program other than genuine AutoCAD. The client will get a warning when he opens the file that the"File is an Untrusted File as it was last saved by a program other than AutoCAD". Clients, who are often engineers and don't know much about the non-AutoCAD programs around, will sometimes reject a file that was saved by a non-AutoCAD program.

Also, my experience with TranslateCAD is that it misses a lot of text, for instance, headings of
... See more
Be warned about saving any AutoCAD file using a program other than genuine AutoCAD. The client will get a warning when he opens the file that the"File is an Untrusted File as it was last saved by a program other than AutoCAD". Clients, who are often engineers and don't know much about the non-AutoCAD programs around, will sometimes reject a file that was saved by a non-AutoCAD program.

Also, my experience with TranslateCAD is that it misses a lot of text, for instance, headings of titles blocks, etc.
Collapse

Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor
Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:47
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
DWG Text Translator Sep 8, 2009

I have translated more than 1000 Autocad drawings I can say that dwg text translator is simplier while you do not need to write or export the repetitions in a different document. It is easy to use and has a trial period of one month. It is expensive but the trial version will be enough for you. You will also need Autocad. You can al... See more
I have translated more than 1000 Autocad drawings I can say that dwg text translator is simplier while you do not need to write or export the repetitions in a different document. It is easy to use and has a trial period of one month. It is expensive but the trial version will be enough for you. You will also need Autocad. You can also find a trial version.
Link: http://www.cadexpert.fi/english/Menu/lancha.htm

If the dwg files are easy to write on, it will be rather easy to translate with this tool. But some Autocad drawings are not in a text box and are like pictures which you have to clean and than write the translated text manually. It may be difficult and time consuming.

If you face technical problems about Autocad, I would be happy to help.

[Edited at 2009-09-08 11:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-09-08 11:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-09-08 11:39 GMT]
Collapse

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:47
Danish to English
translating "in" Autocad Sep 8, 2009

I have made thousands of drawings in Autocad, as part of my job. It is very important to maintain the correct font, orientation, slant, and size. Also, if dimensions are to be translated, then that should be done inside the dimensioning function itself. You really need to have a copy of Autocad, which is a lot to ask for just an occasional job. And it is also another program that has to be learned. Writing text, and dimensioning, in Autocad, can take place on many levels. Some drawings have almo... See more
I have made thousands of drawings in Autocad, as part of my job. It is very important to maintain the correct font, orientation, slant, and size. Also, if dimensions are to be translated, then that should be done inside the dimensioning function itself. You really need to have a copy of Autocad, which is a lot to ask for just an occasional job. And it is also another program that has to be learned. Writing text, and dimensioning, in Autocad, can take place on many levels. Some drawings have almost no text, only dimensions, while other drawings might have the equivalent of many pages of techinal text in them. Another option would be to copy and translate all of the text, and then ask the client to replace the original text with the translated text. That way you are doing your job, i.e. providing a translation. Another things is that text can appear in what is called model space, and in paperspace.
If you are also expected to change units, for example from metric to that insane system based on feet and inches, then that can only be done within the dimensioning dialogue box.
I can hardly believe that any machine translation will do a decent job of this, but then I admit I have never used any such software.
Collapse

VMichl
VMichl
Local time: 05:47
Updated TRANS plugin for AutoCAD Aug 21, 2011

The updated TRANS plugin for AutoCAD 2000-2012 (compatible with Trados and other CAT tools) can be now found on:
http://www.cadstudio.cz/en/apps/trans/

You can also use automatic pre-translation via Google Translate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AutoCAD source files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »