Thread poster: Razvan Nitulescu
Oriol VIP (X)
Oriol VIP (X)
Spain
Local time: 00:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am sorry this has happened to you. May 22

I was scammed two years ago for a lot of money by two people who used a gmail account with the name of an agency in it to get free translations. When I contacted the agencies they said the email address was not theirs, but a gmail account.

It remains unknown whether the agencies themselves did the scam or a third party did, as I contacted the final clients and they never answered -a silence that speaks volumes if you ask me!

Good luck!

Jeff Lazar

Jeff Lazar
Jeff Lazar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:25
Member (2023)
Korean to English
+ ...
The company claimed that he gave them a fake identity May 24

So did the Chinese company not divulge his identity? The fact that this Edward guy is active and is still lurking on ProZ is discouraging.

The company claimed that they didn't have his real identity, but they must have paid him somehow. I honestly had suspicions that he could be affiliated with the company in some way but I have no way to prove that. It would be a shame if legitimate companies were knowingly employing or collaborating with scammers.

Razvan Nitulescu

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:25
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Use of Gmail in the "reply to" address May 25

Says it all guys.
This market is full of predators.
Have to be cautious.

Dan

[Edited at 2024-05-25 06:14 GMT]

Razvan Nitulescu
Baran Keki
Zea_Mays
Kevin Fulton

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 17:25
English to Russian
+ ...
I promised myself May 25

to never comment on scam complaints again but this is really mind-boggling.

Forget gmail. Not a single real, serious client, I repeat - no one, never, ever, not at a gun point, not under influence, not under torture will attach ANY files, especially of confidential nature such as legal, to the initial email inquiry to a total stranger without even knowing if you are dead or alive.

Would you shoot your birth certificate or divorce papers together with the first introduc
... See more
to never comment on scam complaints again but this is really mind-boggling.

Forget gmail. Not a single real, serious client, I repeat - no one, never, ever, not at a gun point, not under influence, not under torture will attach ANY files, especially of confidential nature such as legal, to the initial email inquiry to a total stranger without even knowing if you are dead or alive.

Would you shoot your birth certificate or divorce papers together with the first introductory email to a translator you've never contacted before????

Before going into freelance, please ask yourself if you are capable of running a business because that's what you are supposed to do.

I feel like a parrot or a woodpecker, having been acting like either one screaming about scams for the last 20 years here on Proz. Unfortunately, to no avail. I'll do my best to refrain from any additional rants.

[Edited at 2024-05-25 16:13 GMT]
Collapse

conrad chan

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Post not in line with https://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Post not in line with https://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 - thread locked
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I was scammed by someone pretending to be with SummaLinguae

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »