Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2003

Hi

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but it seems as good as any.

I\'m doing an article for the Linguist (the UK IOL\'s magazine) on online resources for translators, and specifically community-based interfaces such as Proz. I am interested in what you think are the crucial ingredients for a successful site and what difference Proz, or other sites have made to your working experience - I have my own views, but want the opinions of others. I\'
... See more
Hi

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but it seems as good as any.

I\'m doing an article for the Linguist (the UK IOL\'s magazine) on online resources for translators, and specifically community-based interfaces such as Proz. I am interested in what you think are the crucial ingredients for a successful site and what difference Proz, or other sites have made to your working experience - I have my own views, but want the opinions of others. I\'d be interested in hearing from anyone who has an informed view on this subject. Perhaps, at this stage, you could just post a quick response here and I can get back to you.

Cheers

Dan
Collapse

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 07:28
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The best thing about ProZ.com Jan 14, 2003

... definitely is its structure, clear-cut and user-friendly: a very remarkable intellectual performance in terms of IT.

The second best thing is the KudoZ facility and then, for me, a long list of additional atractions follows (esp. glossaries, Agency Blue Board, rate statistics, job postings, CAT tools, own profile page). No wonder ProZ.com is a site where you can meet excellent people.

I am glad you\'ll do these interviews, but I don\'t particularl
... See more
... definitely is its structure, clear-cut and user-friendly: a very remarkable intellectual performance in terms of IT.

The second best thing is the KudoZ facility and then, for me, a long list of additional atractions follows (esp. glossaries, Agency Blue Board, rate statistics, job postings, CAT tools, own profile page). No wonder ProZ.com is a site where you can meet excellent people.

I am glad you\'ll do these interviews, but I don\'t particularly want to be interviewed, this is just my sincere opinion.
Collapse

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
GO AHEAD DAN! Jan 14, 2003

Dear Dan,

just send me a bunch of questions!

I will be glad to give you a hand))

Bergazy

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Sure! Jan 14, 2003

Ask me too!

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
What I love about ProZ.... Jan 14, 2003

It means I\'m not alone any more, stuck here in my wee back room translating away.

Terminology help - YESSSS! I love the help I get when I\'m stuck, and I like to be able to help others.

The forums - help on technical issues from other translators who have experienced similar problems, discussing tax/accountin
... See more
It means I\'m not alone any more, stuck here in my wee back room translating away.

Terminology help - YESSSS! I love the help I get when I\'m stuck, and I like to be able to help others.

The forums - help on technical issues from other translators who have experienced similar problems, discussing tax/accounting/research/blah, blah, blah with other translators....

Do feel free to drop me a line if you\'d like to ask any specific questions. I\'d be glad to help out.

Alison
Collapse

AZRA AKARTUNA
AZRA AKARTUNA  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:28
English to Turkish
+ ...
Of course! Jan 14, 2003

Waiting for the questions!!!

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
How ProZ.com inspires good practice Jan 14, 2003

ProZ.com is an ideal resource for free-lance translators to inform, inspire, motivate and teach. You can find information on so many things: links to linguistic sites, CAT tools, terms that have not found their way into dictionaries yet. The site is democratic as well. It even inserts the much-needed dose of humour into the long hours behind the computer. Just discovering that many other translators work long hours was interesting for me. (I think I just talked myself into becoming a Platinum m... See more
ProZ.com is an ideal resource for free-lance translators to inform, inspire, motivate and teach. You can find information on so many things: links to linguistic sites, CAT tools, terms that have not found their way into dictionaries yet. The site is democratic as well. It even inserts the much-needed dose of humour into the long hours behind the computer. Just discovering that many other translators work long hours was interesting for me. (I think I just talked myself into becoming a Platinum member.) Would be happy to be interviewed.

Collapse

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Feel free Jan 14, 2003

to contact me.

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Proz - very friendly Jan 14, 2003

As an IT expert and translator I must say that Proz is the easiest, fastest, and most professional looking translator marktetplace ...

It sets the standards for other people to follow (translatorcafe is making a good start) and Aquarius has started their own \"forum/kudos\" like pages...

You really get a community feel here, something that definately lacks on other sites...

If you have any specific questions please don\'t hesitate

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Guinea-Parrot, if that qualifies... Jan 14, 2003

I don\'t have much comparative experience, Dan, since my biggest concern in signing up was terminology and this was the site that filled the bill. However, quite apart from getting the terms right, there are colleagues over here willing to give the best pointers on FINDING THEM. I mean, you don\'t only get the golden eggs, they give you the goose.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
otvet...mozhno i interviu potom Jan 14, 2003

Privet Danchik!

To answer your question about what makes this site stand out:

The primary reason, in my opinion, is that ProZ focuses on what makes its customers\' work and lives easier and more rewarding. Terminology help solves translation quandaries, thus quicker turnaround, you don\'t waste time on fruitless research, thus more time for other work. The BB, translator search, job bids all have a direct effect on your wallet as well. I see the forums g
... See more
Privet Danchik!

To answer your question about what makes this site stand out:

The primary reason, in my opinion, is that ProZ focuses on what makes its customers\' work and lives easier and more rewarding. Terminology help solves translation quandaries, thus quicker turnaround, you don\'t waste time on fruitless research, thus more time for other work. The BB, translator search, job bids all have a direct effect on your wallet as well. I see the forums giving a less tangible but no less beneficial contribution: entertainment and information WHILE working. We are, after all, social creatures and the feeling of working alone in Alison\'s proverbial backroom is alleviated.

(note: whenever I tell outsiders that I do translations, invariably I get the question: \"but isn\'t that boring work?\" Little do they know that the usual large-company intrigue and office drama you experience in corporations can be read about in the forums - passively in the comfort of your pajamas...unless, of course, they\'re writing about YOU.)
Collapse

clauce
clauce
Mexico
Local time: 23:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
User-friendly and help Jan 14, 2003

Hi, I agree with Ed Vreeburg: \"Proz is the easiest, fastest, and most professional looking translator marktetplace ...\"

Even as a guest member, I get access to a nice range of services.

Another thing is that its members are constantly participating -and helping each other.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Networking Jan 14, 2003

Hi Dan,

The main reason for my activities on, and for the site is networking - feel free to contact me!

Ralf

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Me too, Dan! Jan 14, 2003

I think, we are all aware of the benefits and advantages of proz. So why should we mind supporting you in your efforts?

All the best

Steffen

Vanessa Marques
Vanessa Marques  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just ask! Jan 14, 2003

I\'m willing to give you some feedback.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Doing ProZ.com/online resources article for the Linguist - seek interviewees

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »