Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Please, help with rate for proof reading
Thread poster: nordiatext
nordiatext
nordiatext
Local time: 00:09
Jan 12, 2009

I've been offered a proof reading job (3000 words) where the agency asks for my rate. What should my proof reading rate be?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-01-12 14:32 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
rate Jan 12, 2009

I reckon about half that, but you should ask to see the document before you agree on the rate. THe document may have been properly translated, in which case your work will consist of checking and "polishing", or it may simply have been run through an automatic translation programme, in which case you may have to do a lot of work. In this latter case I would charge 75% (or even more!) of your normal translation fee.

It would help if you explain to your client the amount of work that
... See more
I reckon about half that, but you should ask to see the document before you agree on the rate. THe document may have been properly translated, in which case your work will consist of checking and "polishing", or it may simply have been run through an automatic translation programme, in which case you may have to do a lot of work. In this latter case I would charge 75% (or even more!) of your normal translation fee.

It would help if you explain to your client the amount of work that will be involved. (once you've seen the document and taken a good look at it)

[Edited at 2009-01-12 12:49 GMT]
Collapse

nordiatext
nordiatext
TOPIC STARTER
I found suggested rates further down in the Forum! Jan 12, 2009

I have suggested 50% of my translation word rate to the agency so I hope this will be ok.

Mahmut Karakaya
Mahmut Karakaya
Türkiye
Local time: 01:09
English to Turkish
+ ...
keep it same Jan 12, 2009

Dear Maria

proof reading also gets your effort, time and attention a lot. But I do not understand why rates would be so low, like 50% off from the normal rates. Anyway, I hope you get the job, better than nothing

Have a nice day.

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
that's it ! Jan 12, 2009

Maria Grahm wrote:

I have suggested 50% of my translation word rate to the agency so I hope this will be ok.

For me it seems fine !

Usually proofreading costs from 0.015 EUR/word to 0.04 EUR/word as far as I'm concerned some people do it on an hourly basis though, it all depends on you and your client....

It also depends on your language pairs...

[Edited at 2009-01-12 13:01 GMT]

nordiatext
nordiatext
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 12, 2009

Thank you for your reply. It is priceless to have Proz as a reference when starting out in this business, I'm so pleased I've joined as a member!

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 17:09
Spanish to English
First review document to be proofed Jan 12, 2009

There are a lot of documents of dubious quality to be proofed- ALWAYS insist on seeing the document before accepting. Never quote before seeing the document.
I had one two months ago, one third had been touched by a human being, but two thirds was straight out of a CAT program (without TM, probaly "Power Translator" or Google). My pricing included what was necessary (and not based on "proofreading") to complete the document, and was accepted.

[Edited at 2009-01-12 14:31 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One third your translation rate Jan 12, 2009

Maria Grahm wrote:
My translation rate is £0.07 per word and £25 per hour but what should my proof reading rate be?

You'll learn eventually that proofreading should be charged per hour. But since you're new and you feel like experimenting with rates, allow me to suggest that you charge one third your translation rate for proofreading. That's what I do (and I'm no longer new... I just generally have that type of client).

David Shield
David Shield
United States
Local time: 18:09
Spanish to English
Just use your normal hourly rate. Jan 12, 2009

As Samuel mentioned, I find it easier to just ask the company how many hours they are authorized to pay for and refer them to my hourly rate. Granted, I don't do much proofing, but I find this an easier solution that negotiating over per-word rates for proofing jobs.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2009-01-12 17:40 GMT]

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
1/2 your translation rate Jan 12, 2009

I don't like charging per hour. Most of the time, I charge per word.

First, I always take a look at the translation. If it seems to be a fine translation, then I accept the job and charge half of my translation rate.

If the translation is bad (probably because they hired a cheap translator or not specialized in that field), then I ask for my translation rate.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
At least 50% your word rate Jan 12, 2009

Maria Grahm wrote:

I've been offered a proof reading job (3000 words) where the agency asks for my rate. My translation rate is £0.07 per word and £25 per hour but what should my proof reading rate be?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-01-12 14:32 GMT]

Hourly rate should be the same regardless of task.

If you charge, what I consider to be, so little for your translations, I can't see how you can go any lower when it comes to proofreading.

I know we see a lot of very low rates, here and at other sites. But rates vary depending on language combination. Various factors determine these rates, such as:

- supply of competent translators in relation to demand for translations
- cost of living in countries where competent translators generally live
- taxes and social fees in countries where competent translators generally live

I personally couldn't live comfortably in the UK (or Sweden) charging £25/hour. That is, if I want to be able to deliver a quality product.

nordiatext
nordiatext
TOPIC STARTER
Jan 12, 2009

[Edited at 2009-01-12 21:46 GMT]

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
Re: Fair salary Jan 12, 2009

At the risk of straying from the topic at hand... How much of that 48K is left once you factor in operation costs, taxes, council charges, pension plan etc? And don't forget to subtract at least 3 weeks for illness / family emergencies and another 3 weeks for slack periods...

nordiatext
nordiatext
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all you comments Jan 12, 2009

It's been very helpful. Thank you.

Christina Bergmann
Christina Bergmann
Germany
English to German
+ ...
price dumping Jan 13, 2009

I am also fairly new in this business and I've had the same problem. At least you all seem to come to the same conclusion. When I asked my teachers at translation school in Germany I heard everything between 0.005 Euro/word and 0.10 Euro/word.

I don't like dumping, so I quote high prices (compared to 0.30 Euro per 55 characters) which often costs me the job, yet I don't feel comfortable charging too little because I would deliver good quality no matter the price. And I do want to be
... See more
I am also fairly new in this business and I've had the same problem. At least you all seem to come to the same conclusion. When I asked my teachers at translation school in Germany I heard everything between 0.005 Euro/word and 0.10 Euro/word.

I don't like dumping, so I quote high prices (compared to 0.30 Euro per 55 characters) which often costs me the job, yet I don't feel comfortable charging too little because I would deliver good quality no matter the price. And I do want to be paid for quality.

I've heard that you - if you are (too) fast - you should quote per word. But it really depends on your point of view. I quote per full hour if possible.

Have fun
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please, help with rate for proof reading

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »