Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3 4]
What's the most useless thing you've ever translated?
Initiator des Themas: Claire Titchmarsh (X)
NMR (X)
NMR (X)
Frankreich
Local time: 02:06
Französisch > Niederländisch
+ ...
Anti-wrinkle and anti-ageing creams Dec 5, 2006

Completely useless.

Some of them contain wheat starch or potato starch, the powder our mothers used to thicken the soup or to do the ironing. They give a good impression. But they are entirely useless for having a new skin.

[Edited at 2006-12-05 09:24]

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:06
Spanisch > Englisch
I second that emotion Dec 6, 2006

Emily SC wrote:

Something I never got paid for.

Those are definitely useless.

CheerZ!
Jason

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brasilien
Local time: 21:06
Englisch > Portugiesisch
+ ...
In stillem Gedenken
CETERA DESUNT Jan 1, 2007

Nope, nobody ever asked me to translate it, which is proper, as I'd be one of the least qualified people on the globe to translate from Latin into any other language.

However I see this expression included in almost every "foreign/Latin expressions list" as meaning that "if anything is missing here, it's somewhere else".

I can't think of anything more stupid and useless to say.
"If I'm not home, I'm out." Cetera desunt.
"If you got this letter but my cheque
... See more
Nope, nobody ever asked me to translate it, which is proper, as I'd be one of the least qualified people on the globe to translate from Latin into any other language.

However I see this expression included in almost every "foreign/Latin expressions list" as meaning that "if anything is missing here, it's somewhere else".

I can't think of anything more stupid and useless to say.
"If I'm not home, I'm out." Cetera desunt.
"If you got this letter but my cheque was not in the same envelope, it means that I am not paying you now." Cetera desunt. (or would it be pecunia desunt?)
"If you can't find the keys in your pockets, you must have left/lost them someplace." Cetera desunt.

Well, I haven't translated it myself. Just found it translated in several places. Do I get the trophy for the most useless thing ever translated? If I do, just tell me its location. If I ever get there and don't find my prize, no problem: cetera desunt!
Collapse

Fleurette (X)
Fleurette (X)
Litauen
Local time: 03:06
Englisch > Litauisch
Waste of time Mar 23, 2007

Hi, I'm new in ProZ.com, though not new in translation The thing that bothers me most is the translation of the text, say, into English when I can see from the Lithuanian text that it has already been translated from English, or vice versa (which happens quite often in my job (I'm not a freelancer).

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the most useless thing you've ever translated?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »