Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Simple solution Sep 2, 2013

Dear Marius,

Use your delete button and go on with serious clients, don't waste your time on this nonsense.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I'm glad some people take time Sep 2, 2013

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Dear Marius,

Use your delete button and go on with serious clients, don't waste your time on this nonsense.

I think a lot of humans act without much reflection, especially when they think they have a brilliant new idea (that obviously nobody else has come up with before, nobody else can see through etc.). Sometimes they know or feel somthing's fishy about what they're doing, but they still do it. Stopping them, shaking them a little, giving them the cold shower, can get them to drop it.

Also, some (amateurs, especially) are just clueless.

Elina Sellgren
Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:25
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
I lol'd Sep 3, 2013

Thanks for the good laugh, Marius!

If I wasn't so busy most of the time, this kind of reply would be very tempting to send! Thanks for the template.

Although, I doubt many such people would understand the joke - they seem to genuinely believe that they will be taken seriously with such 'generous offers'.

Even more so as the company in question only works with translators who have 5+ years o
... See more
Thanks for the good laugh, Marius!

If I wasn't so busy most of the time, this kind of reply would be very tempting to send! Thanks for the template.

Although, I doubt many such people would understand the joke - they seem to genuinely believe that they will be taken seriously with such 'generous offers'.

Even more so as the company in question only works with translators who have 5+ years of experience - more than I have, yet I would never work for such rates! I don't think I have ever worked with such ridiculous rates, even back when I was starting out and had no clue about what is a decent rate. I cannot imagine how anyone with 5 years of experience would fall for this - experienced translators surely know their value and they can't have been in business that long if they couldn't make a living out of it. Well, maybe they thought that it never hurts to try?
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Yup Sep 3, 2013

ElinaSel wrote:

Well, maybe they thought that it never hurts to try?

Yes, I think that's the guiding principle in many such cases.

Wolfram Dennig
Wolfram Dennig
France
French to German
+ ...
Let's go the whole hog ! (DE: Nägel mit Köpfen machen) Sep 5, 2013

MariusV wrote:

I suggest that we just work a little bit on it, elaborate and polish it. And we can use it as a template in reply to such and similar idiotic (sorry for the word, but it really suits here) "offers". Earlier, my approach was just to ignore such "proposals" (not to bother even responding), but yesterday I really lost my patience. I think it is time to start acting.

In my eyes, it wasn't an offer at all. Clearly an attempt by this company to find some rather inexperienced and/or desperate translators in order to be able to exploit them and thus make a quick buck.

Who. except me (native language: German). really wants to take part in this polishing of Marius' humorous and intelligent answer. I think that each of us, we can be a little bit more concrete and "put our money where our mouth is".
I can volunteer, if needed, in the translation of a polished template (easily adaptable to other cases where exclusively profit-driven people try to abuse the naivety of some beginning translators).

Wolfram Dennig
Wolfram Dennig
France
French to German
+ ...
their price range Sep 5, 2013

[quote]felicij wrote:

to receive this "offer".
Btw, after checking their website I noticed the following sentence:

"Or minimum charge is €70/$90/£60 and our prices start from €0.14/source word for the least expensive language pairs and for the lowest service level."

So imagine their profit...

Hello all,

They seem to have a very flexible pricing, though. Tried. They wanted to charge me only 0.10 €/w. (incl. proof reading! - without it's 0.01 cheaper) for a scanned PDF with included tables between EU languages, plus 100 E for necessary OCR.
Let's test-ask for quotes ourselves and see what they say. Of course, only in our spare time.

Matthias Haase
Matthias Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
one word Marius.... Oct 7, 2013

Priceless!

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
thank you Dec 4, 2013

for the laughs!

Lucyna Wiatr
Lucyna Wiatr  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Polish
+ ...
thank you Dec 4, 2013

Marius,
thank you for posting it.
I think I'll hang your answer on my mood wall
Lucyna

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

need some advice on very generous translation job offers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »