Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:35
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 31, 2013

Hi everybody,
this morning I felt a bit hilarious, so I came up with the must-have things to start a translator career:

1) A brain and knowledge of at least 2 languages.
2) A room
3) A computer with some software in it
4) An Internet connection
5) A table
6) A seat
7) Patience (for different things related to your hardware/software or to the jobs)

an
... See more
Hi everybody,
this morning I felt a bit hilarious, so I came up with the must-have things to start a translator career:

1) A brain and knowledge of at least 2 languages.
2) A room
3) A computer with some software in it
4) An Internet connection
5) A table
6) A seat
7) Patience (for different things related to your hardware/software or to the jobs)

and the most important thing, without which is completely meaningless to even try:

Passion.

I hope you find this funny.
Have a good day!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Principal omission May 31, 2013

Bruno Depascale wrote:
... so I came up with the must-have things to start a translator career:

Sadly (rather than funnily), you seem to have missed out the one key factor so often apparently lacking:

an aptitude for the profession and the smallest amount of talent.

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation as activity, not profession May 31, 2013

Tony M wrote:

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Sadly (rather than funnily), you seem to have missed out the one key factor so often apparently lacking:

Thank you for your input Tony,
no, I didn't missed it out.
I admit I expressed myself bad in saying "translation career".
I wasn't talking about being good or bad translators, but to be simply a translator.
One can also start a translation activity for him/herself, like translating a novel...

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
A presence on Proz May 31, 2013

You forgot that too. Whether full member, partial member or non-paying member, many people seem to 'begin' their 'translation activity' by signing up on Proz.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Rates May 31, 2013

Willingness to charge more than the average cleaning lady...

Alexander C. Thomson
Alexander C. Thomson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Worldly wisdom May 31, 2013

Having done something in life, or seen something of life, before striking out in translation is pretty much a sine qua non, although sadly one sees more and more fresh graduates taking up a translator’s keyboard who have hardly seen anything of the world of work, culture, business, industry, politics, human interaction outside their own circles, or anything else (in their own country or abroad) when they start translating, and it shows in their work — for the rest of their careers.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:05
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Actually nothing is required May 31, 2013

Considered as an activity, you don't need any external aid. Not even pen and paper. Stripped off of all trappings, translation is just conversion of messages in one language to another (recording it is a separate activity, and it is this that requires external support like computers, TMs, software, pen and paper, etc.).

All you need to translate (or to use any language based function) is speech. And this most of us have.

So if you have knowledge of two languages, and y
... See more
Considered as an activity, you don't need any external aid. Not even pen and paper. Stripped off of all trappings, translation is just conversion of messages in one language to another (recording it is a separate activity, and it is this that requires external support like computers, TMs, software, pen and paper, etc.).

All you need to translate (or to use any language based function) is speech. And this most of us have.

So if you have knowledge of two languages, and your speech faculties are unimpaired, technically you can begin a translation activity.

Doing it as a profession is of course an entirely different kettle of fish and we are not talking about that here.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Erm Jun 1, 2013

Tony M wrote:

Bruno Depascale wrote:

He mentioned 'brain' and the knowledge of 2 languages. Nothing else is needed that is not a subset of 'brain'.

And I'm not sure how much talent is needed to be commercially successful in this 'industry'.

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
No one has yet mentioned... Jun 2, 2013

... coffee (or tea).

Coffee, not oil, is the real black gold.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe... Jun 2, 2013

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:
And I'm not sure how much talent is needed to be commercially successful in this 'industry'.

Several translation agencies have tried to convince me that all that one really must have to translate is Trados, absolutely nothing else! They don't seem to care at all about training, skills, experience, specialization, nor talent. As I don't have Trados, I wouldn't know how successful this approach can be.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
That's more or less where I was driving at Jun 2, 2013

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

Several translation agencies have tried to convince me that all that one really must have to translate is Trados, absolutely nothing else! They don't seem to care at all about training, skills, experience, specialization, nor talent. As I don't have Trados, I wouldn't know how successful this approach can be.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
But it really takes off when you do some marketing and find a client Jun 2, 2013

You can translate to your heart's content and beyond, but if you are going to make a career of it, some clients and ultimately some fees will help!

Even though patience is definitely required, first to 'catch' the clients and then to deal with them... One of my colleagues asures me clients are the devil's invention.

Trados is a hungry beast, and useless unless fed properly with input. You are right not to include it among the first ten essentials!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Must-have things to begin the translation activity

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »