Tópico cartaz: Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Espanha
Local time: 08:55
Membro (2003)
inglês para espanhol
Jul 31, 2003

After sumitting my work, my client asks me for the .bak files, in case I have created them. I did not define a route for them, and cannot figure where (and if) Trados might have saved them. This is due right now, could you please give me a hand here?

Thanks guys!,
Pecellin.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
França
alemão para inglês
+ ...
Before you cleaned your file you probably had it saved somewhere.... Jul 31, 2003

I would guess that before you cleaned your file you saved it somewhere - so that you knew what directory to click on when you went to the Trados clean up function.....

Look in that same folder (perhaps using explorer) and you ought to find the bak files.

HTH

Alison

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Membro (2003)
polonês para alemão
+ ...
Same directory as the cleaned files Jul 31, 2003

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

I would guess that before you cleaned your file you saved it somewhere - so that you knew what directory to click on when you went to the Trados clean up function.....

Look in that same folder (perhaps using explorer) and you ought to find the bak files.

HTH

Alison

Per default Trados puts a *.bak copy of cleaned file (in fact this is the original billingual rtf/doc file you produced during the translation period) in the same diectory, where the cleaned files are. Unless you have changed something on your Trados setting you ought to find the bak-files there.

What you customer is asking from you, is simply the TM you created during the translation, without telling you this. If he gets *.bak files from you he simply can create a new empty TM and then clean the (renamed) *.bak files against this TM and voila - he has your whole work...
If this was NOT agreed before you started to translate I would try to charge the customer for this additional "service". Not that he is not able to create a TM without those bak-files, but it is a lot of work then.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Espanha
Membro (2003)
inglês para espanhol
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Thank you, Jerzy Jul 31, 2003

Thank you very much, Jerzy. I guessed this is what my client was doing and, since that "service" had not been agreed on (besides not being able, still, to find such .bak files...), I decided not to send them.

I appreciate your help.

P.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 02:55
Membro (2002)
inglês para húngaro
+ ...
You can search on your computer Aug 2, 2003

PECELLIN wrote:

(besides not being able, still, to find such .bak files...),

You can use Windows' search function to find the *.bak files. It depends on the version of your Windows, how to start up the search function, but if you have them on your computer, you should be able to find them with the search.

One more thing: Maybe you have the files right there, you just don't see their extension. Check the folder preferences, you might have a checkmark next to the option that hides "known" file extensions.

[Edited at 2003-08-02 01:55]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.bak files. HELP, PLEASE.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »