Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:27
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 5, 2007

I'd like to decide which of these two to use in the future. I have been exploring the trial versions and Practicount seems more user friendly. Office 3000 might offer more features in the long term..

Could somebody point out the huge advantages one might have over another? It is probably for a large part a matter of personal preference, since both programs are popular.
But I would appreciate your personal opinion.

[Edited at 2007-05-05 10:14]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:27
Spanish
+ ...
Invoicing vs. Management May 5, 2007

Hello Marlou,

I downloaded the trial version of Practicount years ago, so forgive me if I'm not very specific about this software. As far as I know, Practicount deals only with the word counting and the invoicing process, while TO3000 is more of a management tool, invoicing and word counting is just a part of the program. For me, the biggest advantage of TO3000 is the time it saves me.

Let me give you a random example:

A new client calls me for a new proj
... See more
Hello Marlou,

I downloaded the trial version of Practicount years ago, so forgive me if I'm not very specific about this software. As far as I know, Practicount deals only with the word counting and the invoicing process, while TO3000 is more of a management tool, invoicing and word counting is just a part of the program. For me, the biggest advantage of TO3000 is the time it saves me.

Let me give you a random example:

A new client calls me for a new project that's gonna involve translating and proofreading. I enter the client's information in TO3000; that includes contact information, services and rates, payment terms, notes, etc. I click one button and TO3000 automatically creates several folders where I can put different kinds of files like NDA's, invoices, payments, references, PO's.

The client sends me several files to proofread and to translate. So I create a New Project in TO3000 with it's information: PO number, deadline, Client PM, etc; I click a button and TO3000 creates 6 folders: 1 Original, 3 Work, 4 Cleaned, 6 Final... you get the idea. I save all the original files in '1 Original'. I create a new job for each file I have to work on, TO3000 calculates the total price for each job based on the number of units (words, hours, pages, fuzzy matches, etc ) and the rate for each service. Since I already added this information, this process takes no time.

Once I start working on the project, I can view on the same screen all the jobs as I'm working on them and the ones I already completed. When I'm done with all the jobs on the project, I can send the invoice right away or wait a few days, some companies prefer to be invoiced once a month, others more/less often. I put the invoicing terms on the General Information area. Say, this client needs certain information on the Invoices and they request me to use an A4 size paper, I can create a custom template for that client. I click a few buttons and the invoice is done, it only takes a few seconds. I can also use TO3000 to track the invoices (per client or all invoices) so I can know when I'm going to get paid.

If I receive another project from the same or different client, I can add them and TO will keep each of them well organized.

As you can see, I'm very happy with TO3000 Organizing and invoicing my projects used to be a nightmare but now it's a breeze, I say go for it.

Good luck,
Claudia
Collapse

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Claudia! May 6, 2007

Well, I'm sold, that is; TO 3000 is sold to me:)
You made it sound like it was especially designed for "people like us":)
Thank you for the extremely fast and clear, written tour through the application!

The organizational features are indeed very, very appealing. Especially when at times one might only be dealing with short and small projects. The administration around it can be so time consuming.

[Edited at 2007-05-06 15:29]

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
May 6, 2007

[Edited at 2007-05-06 16:38]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Practicount or Office 3000

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »