Off topic: Looking for volunteer opportunities in the Washington D.C. area
Thread poster: GaryG
GaryG
GaryG  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
English
+ ...
Apr 15, 2007

A neighbor of mine, a native Egyptian, is looking for unpaid work in the Washington D.C area (or something he can do at home, wherever the work comes from). He's not looking for another source of income (he's a relatively senior U.S. government employee) but has several small children and a wife, so his availability is limited.

He's not a translator, so I'm posting this for him. His English to Arabic ability is much better than Arabic to English, so please keep that in mind when off
... See more
A neighbor of mine, a native Egyptian, is looking for unpaid work in the Washington D.C area (or something he can do at home, wherever the work comes from). He's not looking for another source of income (he's a relatively senior U.S. government employee) but has several small children and a wife, so his availability is limited.

He's not a translator, so I'm posting this for him. His English to Arabic ability is much better than Arabic to English, so please keep that in mind when offering suggestions.

I thought of a few possibilities, but of course the members of this forum will know of opportunities that I don't.
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Is he volunteering as an interpreter? Apr 15, 2007

If he is not a translator, is he volunteering as an interpreter.

I assume has has very limited Arabic computing capabilities (use of Arabic keyboard, use of Arabic in MS Word). How reliable is his knowledge of Modern Standard Arabic (written Arabic) grammar and spelling?

GaryG
GaryG  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looking for volunteer opportunities in the Washington D.C. area Apr 15, 2007

Fuad Yahya wrote:

If he is not a translator, is he volunteering as an interpreter.

From what he said he is willng to serve in any capacity, really

I assume has has very limited Arabic computing capabilities (use of Arabic keyboard, use of Arabic in MS Word). How reliable is his knowledge of Modern Standard Arabic (written Arabic) grammar and spelling?

Well, I can't judge but he did mention that he can write Arabic with his
home computer, he has DSL, and asked whether the computer I showed him today (a Mac Mini) has Microsoft Office, so I presumed that he is familiar with that program.

He has Ph.D and V.M.D. degrees so I assume his Arabic is excellent. His written English has flaws but I think he knows that because he's mainly interested in English to Arabic work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for volunteer opportunities in the Washington D.C. area

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »