Adding terms to multiple glossaries at once with WFP 5.17.0
Thread poster: Khadhé
Khadhé
Khadhé
Local time: 14:57
English to French
Oct 17, 2020

Hello colleagues,

After failing to get WFC 6.03 then WFC 8.32 to properly work under MS Word 2016/Windows 10, I have purchased WFP 5 and I am now painfully trying to figure out the simplest basic functions while wadding through a swamp of exotic gimmicks I will never, ever, use.

One of the basic thing I am trying to do is to tell WFP to always add a new term (source-target) to multiple glossaries included in a project. I can't find the option in the preference as it was
... See more
Hello colleagues,

After failing to get WFC 6.03 then WFC 8.32 to properly work under MS Word 2016/Windows 10, I have purchased WFP 5 and I am now painfully trying to figure out the simplest basic functions while wadding through a swamp of exotic gimmicks I will never, ever, use.

One of the basic thing I am trying to do is to tell WFP to always add a new term (source-target) to multiple glossaries included in a project. I can't find the option in the preference as it was possible in WFC (some of my projects are relevant to multiple specific fields that are associated with their respective glossaries). Am I missing something or is there no other way than repeating the operation and successively changing the target glossary in between?
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:57
English to French
+ ...
Maybe this Oct 17, 2020

I think that, unless a glossary is marked as "Read only", a new term will be added to all glossaries, regardless of how many there are.

Subject to verification, of course, because I never checked.

JL

Khadhé
Khadhé
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, but... Oct 21, 2020

Jean Lachaud wrote:

I think that, unless a glossary is marked as "Read only", a new term will be added to all glossaries, regardless of how many there are.

JL

I just checked again. Although both of my glossaries are shown as "selected" in the project and NEITHER is "read only", new terms are only added to the first in the list. In the pop up showing when entering a new term, only one glossary is indeed shown at the bottom.

This can only be something I have overlooked in the parameters/preferences (which I have basically not played with yet). Although, I would be surprised that adding new terms to ALL active and NOT READ ONLY glossaries would not be a default behaviour.

Anybody?

[Edited at 2020-10-21 12:02 GMT]

powerleen

powerleen
powerleen
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Has this question been answered? Dec 14, 2020

Khadhé wrote:

Jean Lachaud wrote:

JL

I just checked again. Although both of my glossaries are shown as "selected" in the project and NEITHER is "read only", new terms are only added to the first in the list. In the pop up showing when entering a new term, only one glossary is indeed shown at the bottom.

This can only be something I have overlooked in the parameters/preferences (which I have basically not played with yet). Although, I would be surprised that adding new terms to ALL active and NOT READ ONLY glossaries would not be a default behaviour.

Anybody?

[Edited at 2020-10-21 12:02 GMT]

Has your question been answered, Khadhe? i'm struggling with the same (want to add terms while translation to multiple glossaries).

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:57
Member (2006)
French to English
Submit feedback report Dec 22, 2020

Khadhé wrote:

Hello colleagues,

One of the basic thing I am trying to do is to tell WFP to always add a new term (source-target) to multiple glossaries included in a project. I can't find the option in the preference as it was possible in WFC (some of my projects are relevant to multiple specific fields that are associated with their respective glossaries). Am I missing something or is there no other way than repeating the operation and successively changing the target glossary in between?

I have been requesting this feature for many years. Can you please submit a feedback report (click on WF icon) to tell developers that you want this too?

Thanks!
John

Khadhé
Khadhé
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
My main issue is that it's too buggy with Word 2016 on my machine. Jan 2, 2021

John Di Rico wrote:

Khadhé wrote:

Hello colleagues,

I have been requesting this feature for many years. Can you please submit a feedback report (click on WF icon) to tell developers that you want this too?

Thanks!
John

Well, I would if I was not running into multiple bugs with the latest WFC running inside Word 2016. The "developers" advised me to get another computer and try and see if WFC would behave better on it if I keep it with minimal programs and add-ins installed. Their theory which - may really be valid -, is that WFC does not like being interfered with by other programs short-cuts and the likes, like Druide Antidote for instance. My problem is that I have no time to find another computer and investigate which ecosystem is best for that animal to run without bugging every 5 minutes, and I need Druide Antidote add-in in Word anyway. And I have a bunch of other programs installed on my machine that are potentially interfering with the sensitive WFC. So I may simply reinstall MS Word 2009 and an older version of WFC, the combination of which was good enough (and with Antidote add-in active under Word). In my case, to this day and with its last build installed (Ver. 8.33), WFC unfortunately just does not work properly with MS Word 2016.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:57
Member (2006)
French to English
How to use Antidote with Wordfast Pro Jan 4, 2021

Khadhé wrote:

Well, I would if I was not running into multiple bugs with the latest WFC running inside Word 2016. The "developers" advised me to get another computer and try and see if WFC would behave better on it if I keep it with minimal programs and add-ins installed. Their theory which - may really be valid -, is that WFC does not like being interfered with by other programs short-cuts and the likes, like Druide Antidote for instance. My problem is that I have no time to find another computer and investigate which ecosystem is best for that animal to run without bugging every 5 minutes, and I need Druide Antidote add-in in Word anyway. And I have a bunch of other programs installed on my machine that are potentially interfering with the sensitive WFC. So I may simply reinstall MS Word 2009 and an older version of WFC, the combination of which was good enough (and with Antidote add-in active under Word). In my case, to this day and with its last build installed (Ver. 8.33), WFC unfortunately just does not work properly with MS Word 2016.

You can use Antidote with Wordfast Pro.

First, make sure your WFP settings are as follows:
1. Open Preferences
2. Under General Preferences > General, make sure your "Get MS Word Table options" table settings are as follows:
- Segment ID: ticked
- Source: not ticked
- Score: not ticked
- Set tag mode to: Do not show tags
3. Close Preferences

When you finish a translation and want to run Antidote:
1. With the TXLF Editor open, go to the File tab
2. Click on the Get MS Word Table icon
3. Run Antidote on the generated Word file
4. When an error is highlighted in Antidote that needs editing, take note of the segment ID, return to Wordfast Pro and use the Ctrl+G (PC) / Cmd+G (Mac) shortcut key to go to the segment and edit accordingly.

Khadhé
Khadhé
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
So Antidote and WF Classic on MS Word 2016 is a No No Jan 4, 2021

John Di Rico wrote:

Khadhé wrote:

You can use Antidote with Wordfast Pro.

First, make sure your WFP settings are as follows:
1. Open Preferences
2. Under General Preferences > General, make sure your "Get MS Word Table options" table settings are as follows:
- Segment ID: ticked
- Source: not ticked
- Score: not ticked
- Set tag mode to: Do not show tags
3. Close Preferences

When you finish a translation and want to run Antidote:
1. With the TXLF Editor open, go to the File tab
2. Click on the Get MS Word Table icon
3. Run Antidote on the generated Word file
4. When an error is highlighted in Antidote that needs editing, take note of the segment ID, return to Wordfast Pro and use the Ctrl+G (PC) / Cmd+G (Mac) shortcut key to go to the segment and edit accordingly.

Thanks.
Your suggested way of using Antidote with WF Pro probably works but seems quite cumbersome and time consuming, going back and forth between Antidote and WFP for every single correction. The whole idea of having Antidote integrated into Word is to scan and insert corrections rapidly. These tools are supposed to increase productivity, not making every step longer, aren't they?

As a matter of fact, I only use WF Pro for PowerPoint documents, since WF Classic should suffice for straight and simple MS Word documents. However, I am close to giving up trying to have WF Classic running correctly within MS Word 2016. One of the problems might be Antidote Add-In into Word 2016. Can you please confirm, if you are aware of it, that WordFast Classic does not work with MS Word 2016 + Antidote Add-In activated?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding terms to multiple glossaries at once with WFP 5.17.0

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »