Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 19, 2020

An agency has sent me an SDL package but when I try to "Import SDL Package" into Wordfast Pro 5.13.0, I get an error message saying "Source locale es-x-mo-SDL is not supported".
My contact at the agency seems unable to help and I know very little about CAT interoperation and even less about SDL.
Can anyone advise please?
Many thanks!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Comunican May 19, 2020

Comunican wrote:
An agency has sent me an SDL package but when I try to "Import SDL Package" into Wordfast Pro 5.13.0, I get an error message saying "Source locale es-x-mo-SDL is not supported".

I'm no expert, but.

It is my understanding that Wordfast Pro 5 supports only a very limited number of source and target languages. If the language is not in their list, you can't use it (and it won't work with a file that uses it). As far as I know, "es-x-mo-SDL" is a valid language code.

I don't think your client can change the language codes of a project in Trados in mid-project, so if your client wants to help you, they would have to recreate the project in Trados, and this time select a more primitive language code, e.g. "es". This is going to be a lot of work for them, though.

Alternatively, if you know how to open SDLXLIFF files in a text editor, you can unzip the SDLPPX file to get to the SDLXLIFF files and manually open them in a text editor and change the language codes to something that WFP5 will accept. This means that you can't import the SDLPPX file itself but need to work on the SDLXLIFF files as individual files.

Aline Amorim

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Samuel Jun 8, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Comunican wrote:

I'm no expert, but.

It is my understanding that Wordfast Pro 5 supports only a very limited number of source and target languages. If the language is not in their list, you can't use it (and it won't work with a file that uses it). As far as I know, "es-x-mo-SDL" is a valid language code.

I don't think your client can change the language codes of a project in Trados in mid-project, so if your client wants to help you, they would have to recreate the project in Trados, and this time select a more primitive language code, e.g. "es". This is going to be a lot of work for them, though.

Alternatively, if you know how to open SDLXLIFF files in a text editor, you can unzip the SDLPPX file to get to the SDLXLIFF files and manually open them in a text editor and change the language codes to something that WFP5 will accept. This means that you can't import the SDLPPX file itself but need to work on the SDLXLIFF files as individual files.

My apologies Samuel, I didn't reply. I ended up getting quite bogged down in the issue and in the end the agency sent me the source document, which was a pain, but time was of the essence. Thanks for your kind help and advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem importing an SDLPPX file into Wordfast Pro 5

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »