Thread poster: Evy J Willis
Evy J Willis
Evy J Willis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:12
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Feb 5, 2017

Hello, a client sent me a CAP file to use for the CAT tool Across. When I try to save it to my computer to upload it into across, a window pops up that automatically wants to convert the file to a Word file and gives me no alternative to save in other ways. Does anyone know how to stop this automatical conversion attempt (I might have chosen Word as a way to open this type of file before I knew what kind of file it was) so I can save it as a CAP file and use it in Across? Thank you.

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:12
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
open it from Across Feb 5, 2017

Evy J Willis wrote:

Hello, a client sent me a CAP file to use for the CAT tool Across. When I try to save it to my computer to upload it into across, a window pops up that automatically wants to convert the file to a Word file and gives me no alternative to save in other ways. Does anyone know how to stop this automatical conversion attempt (I might have chosen Word as a way to open this type of file before I knew what kind of file it was) so I can save it as a CAP file and use it in Across? Thank you.

If the .CAP file is supposed to be opened in Across. I'm sure you can run your Across and open it from there.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:12
English to Italian
How did you receive it? Feb 5, 2017

Not sure how you received this file (a link, an email attachment, a file in an FTP folder?), but in most cases, if you right click on the link to it, you should still be able to "save as...", even if you have already associated that file extension to some default program.

If you already have it saved somewhere, right-clicking on it should give you the option to "Open with..." another program (and change its default association).

Evy J Willis
Evy J Willis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:12
German to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Missing the "as is" option Feb 7, 2017

Thank you for your reply. I get the CAP file per email, and do not know how to open it in across directly from an email, that is why I wanted to save it first. But when I click on it, I do not get the option "save as", only the conversion to word, which I do not want.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 08:12
English to German
A strange email software or an unprecise question? Feb 7, 2017

I don't think that a software exists that makes its decisions for you in such a way.

If you had put a simple, clear und complete question like "I'm working with the xxx email software under the YYY OS. How do I save (to an arbitrary location) a received email attachment without any mofidication?", you might get what you want to know. (Normally, you can shift attachemts using "drag-and-drop" to any place you want, but your software seems to be somewhat strange.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I save a CAP file as is?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »