Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clean install? Mar 4, 2016

I also read (if I understood correctly) that you also can do a "clean installation". What is exactly meant? I know what a clean install is, but does W10 in this case gives you the posibility of installing over the old version (and keeping your programms) and a installation from scratch (in which case you have to reinstall all your software)?

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
"Install from scratch", the preferable way for a reliable system Mar 4, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I also read (if I understood correctly) that you also can do a "clean installation". What is exactly meant? I know what a clean install is, but does W10 in this case gives you the posibility of installing over the old version (and keeping your programms) and a installation from scratch (in which case you have to reinstall all your software)?

"Clean install" means "intallation from scratch", i. e. on a disk that is – from an operating system's point of view – totally empty (no software, no old operating system, only data files like .docx and so on).

Actually you can perform a clean installation regardless of the story so far: Anybody is allowed to download a fully functional Win 10 DVD image (about 4 GB) from MS. Such an installation works AFAIK for 30 days without license key. (Everybody should own such a disk because it can be used as a repair disk three years later.)

The sticking points are license key & activation. If you want to use the free upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7/8/8.1, you must upgrade first and activate the upgraded system. This online activation connects your PC hardware with a Win 10 license. Afterwards you can purge the disk and do a clean install using the said DVD, because this PC now has a valid Win 10 license. Your old key from Win 7/8/8.1 will not work for Win 10.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-03-04 18:06 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My experience till sofar Mar 18, 2016

I started this topic, so let me end it.

I upgraded my 8.1 laptop to Windows 10. My experience till sofar is not good and not bad, no, it is... exactly the same. Everything works (a bit faster even), what else can one ask for. I had some problems with my licence for Trados 7, but those were easy to solve, and I didn't like the menu, much better than in 8.1, but still.... Installed classic shell, and everything works like a charm.

In short, Windows 10 is no more than an u
... See more
I started this topic, so let me end it.

I upgraded my 8.1 laptop to Windows 10. My experience till sofar is not good and not bad, no, it is... exactly the same. Everything works (a bit faster even), what else can one ask for. I had some problems with my licence for Trados 7, but those were easy to solve, and I didn't like the menu, much better than in 8.1, but still.... Installed classic shell, and everything works like a charm.

In short, Windows 10 is no more than an update for Windows 8.1. Windows 8.2 would have been a better name (but that doesn't look "cool").

I read about problems updating Windows 10 on a Windows 7 computer. Not everybody is happy. Got one too. Lets first see how this one evolves.

[Edited at 2016-03-18 23:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-18 23:20 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
My point exactly. Mar 19, 2016

[quote]Thomas T. Frost wrote:

[quote]Rolf Keller wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

...As for automatic forced updates, it is not just a question of when to install them but if one wants them installed. It is the tyranny I don't like. It is my computer after all, not Microsoft's. On Windows 7, for example, I have disabled three updates that kept pestering me to install Windows 10.

Hear hear! Tyranny, lockstep, like it or lump it, suck it up, ... These are attitudes I dislike and try to avoid in life in general, as I have never liked having anything around down my throat, which is why I call this type of forced "upgrading" gavaging, comparing it to geese being forcibly fattened to manufacture paté...

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:21
Danish to English
+ ...
Has anything in Windows been improved since Windows 7? Mar 19, 2016

Apart from making the system start faster since Windows 8, can anybody here think of anything Microsoft has done with Windows since Windows 7 to make it better or easier to use for people like us who need things done on desktops and laptops and don't buy Windows to surf around in all the latest, fancy apps and videos on touchscreens, tablets and smartphones?

I can't.

If you want a smartphone to work with the latest, fancy connected systems in cars (where you can plug yo
... See more
Apart from making the system start faster since Windows 8, can anybody here think of anything Microsoft has done with Windows since Windows 7 to make it better or easier to use for people like us who need things done on desktops and laptops and don't buy Windows to surf around in all the latest, fancy apps and videos on touchscreens, tablets and smartphones?

I can't.

If you want a smartphone to work with the latest, fancy connected systems in cars (where you can plug your smartphone into the car's touchscreen and see the smartphone screen and use the smartphone apps on the car's screen – for addicts who can't live for one minute without their smartphone), you can't even use a Windows smartphone, as these systems only support Android and iPhone. The 2 % or so Windows has of the smartphone market is insignificant, so it would not be worth the trouble supporting it. And they've been messing around Windows for several years now for that. Windows was never designed for this in the first place.

But the major CAT tools require Windows or Windows emulation, so what does one do if one is fed up with Windows?
Collapse

Giuseppe Bellone
Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Sorry, till Windows 10 has those unbearable colours, no thanks Mar 31, 2016

I can't comment on the technical improvement or whatever you may call it, BUT just looking at the first image, the horrible blue window with the light coming in that reminds of a prison cell makes me turn my head away. And that's just the beginning.
On opening all Office programs, Word in the first place, one has the great choice between three colours, (what a great choice, thanks!) a blinding white, and two horrible greys, (and on our computers we have millions of colurs!!!!).
Then
... See more
I can't comment on the technical improvement or whatever you may call it, BUT just looking at the first image, the horrible blue window with the light coming in that reminds of a prison cell makes me turn my head away. And that's just the beginning.
On opening all Office programs, Word in the first place, one has the great choice between three colours, (what a great choice, thanks!) a blinding white, and two horrible greys, (and on our computers we have millions of colurs!!!!).
Then all the buttons, all with pale colours, no contrast that helps distinguish them on the bars, impossibile to use, no, nothing to compare with the wonderful colours of Windows 7!

If they like a spartan layout and colours they can use it themselves, I will never never use that OS, till they change and add more options to change these horrible colours.

The whole things may be technically great (as far as I have read), BUT as regards colours and layout of buttons/icons, looks like going back from 2016 to the Middle Ages.

Sorry, I work all day at my computer and I also take care of my eyes, I don't want to get blind with that horror.

Giuseppe

[Modificato alle 2016-03-31 09:24 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2016-03-31 15:19 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Alas Mar 31, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

........o I'll be staying on W.7 unless Microsoft dramatically change their policy on Windows and start thinking about laptop and desktop Windows users again instead of a tiny fraction of the smartphone market, which they are unlikely to take away from Android and iPhone systems anyway. I'm still of the opinion that trying to use one single system for so different systems was and is a major fiasco.

Alas, Apple is going the same way. I understand why Microsoft and Apple are doing this but the end result, in both cases, seems to be a dog's breakfast.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Oh no Mar 31, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Alas, Apple is going the same way. I understand why Microsoft and Apple are doing this but the end result, in both cases, seems to be a dog's breakfast.

Horror of horrors! I was wondering if I should get a Mac instead of Windows next time, but if it's only to end up being frustrated with a Mac instead of being frustrated with Windows 10, and for twice as much money, then what's the point?

I thought Apple had kept iOS and OS X apart. Are you saying they're merging functionality and the interface?

So what are professionals supposed to do when both Apple and Microsoft are determined to turn everything into toy systems?

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Go for Linux! Mar 31, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Horror of horrors! I was wondering if I should get a Mac instead of Windows next time, but if it's only to end up being frustrated with a Mac instead of being frustrated with Windows 10, and for twice as much money, then what's the point?

I thought Apple had kept iOS and OS X apart. Are you saying they're merging functionality and the interface?

So what are professionals supposed to do when both Apple and Microsoft are determined to turn everything into toy systems?

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
MS Office doesn't support Linux Mar 31, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Go for Linux!

Good you included a smiley, because MS Office doesn't support Linux, so it looks like a non-starter (and no, I'm not interested in any of the freeware 'Office' copies; they are not 100 % compatible – what fits on one page or line in Word doesn't in Word copy XYZ etc.).

Or is there a Windows emulator for Linux that is good enough to run MS Office, MemoQ and other applications that can't run natively on Linux (without requiring two hours' systems support work a day)?

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not entirely true Mar 31, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Go for Linux!

Good you included a smiley, because MS Office doesn't support Linux, so it looks like a non-starter (and no, I'm not interested in any of the freeware 'Office' copies; they are not 100 % compatible – what fits on one page or line in Word doesn't in Word copy XYZ etc.).

Or is there a Windows emulator for Linux that is good enough to run MS Office, MemoQ and other applications that can't run natively on Linux (without requiring two hours' systems support work a day)?

You can run Linux on a Windows machine, next to all your (Windows) software, or install Linux and install Windows on a virtual machine. That is what I did with my old laptop - Linux Mint + (a virtual) XP (not connected to the internet) + Trados 7 + the whole shabam. It works.

The positive side is you don't have any virusses anymore, and always the latest software for free, incl. a CAT (OmegaT) and Libre Office (looks just like MS Office).
The negative side is, when in the virtual machine, you still work on Windows (which version however), so why change to Linux when you don't really use it?.

In Linux is a programm called Wine, with which you can install MS software (though not all). About memoQ I am not sure, but I thought I read somewhere that it is compatible with Linux, although I am not sure about that. You have to check it.

My problem is that SDL Studio is not compatible with Linux, so I have to work on Windows, hence this thread.

I am working for 3 weeks now on W10, and I must say that I don't understand all the complaints, OS works like a charm.

[Edited at 2016-03-31 13:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-31 13:14 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro Apr 1, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

when in the virtual machine, you still work on Windows

Or the other way round. Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V, which is a virtual machine manager that needs only a very small part of Windows 10. Most parts of Win 10 run on top of Hyper-V, just like in a virtual machine.

3 months ago I installed Win 10, activated Hyper-V immediately and set up 2 virtual machines, one with Ubuntu Linux and one with an image of my old Window XP computer. So I could give away that old PC but continue to use it for some special tasks. It runs even faster now.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Or the other way around indeed! Apr 1, 2016

Rolf Keller wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

when in the virtual machine, you still work on Windows

Or the other way round. Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V, which is a virtual machine manager that needs only a very small part of Windows 10. Most parts of Win 10 run on top of Hyper-V, just like in a virtual machine.

3 months ago I installed Win 10, activated Hyper-V immediately and set up 2 virtual machines, one with Ubuntu Linux and one with an image of my old Window XP computer. So I could give away that old PC but continue to use it for some special tasks. It runs even faster now.

It all depends on your main OS. Do you want your computer to run on Windows or on Linux. Matter of taste.

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
My experience Apr 1, 2016

After weeks of battling the pesky pop-up encouraging me to upgrade to Windows 10 (on a Win 7 laptop), I gave in and went ahead with it. It worked beautifully for several hours, and I was impressed by the fact my machine seemed to run faster. And then it didn't run at all: an automatic update was installed and the process attempted to restart my computer but no such luck. It froze, and all of my ensuing 14 attempts at restarting it ended the same way - the computer froze in various stages of the ... See more
After weeks of battling the pesky pop-up encouraging me to upgrade to Windows 10 (on a Win 7 laptop), I gave in and went ahead with it. It worked beautifully for several hours, and I was impressed by the fact my machine seemed to run faster. And then it didn't run at all: an automatic update was installed and the process attempted to restart my computer but no such luck. It froze, and all of my ensuing 14 attempts at restarting it ended the same way - the computer froze in various stages of the startup process.

I ended up having to take it to my IT guy, who uninstalled Win 10 and restored Win 7. He also disabled those hideous upgrade reminders and told me that I wasn't the first one to come in with this problem. He said no matter what Microsoft claims, lots of people have compatibility problems on older machines, that is, those made prior to Win 10. He did recommend it for new computers, but ultimately said if your computer was made to run Win 7 chances are you will be better off sticking with that instead of upgrading.

I'm now happily running Win 7 again without issues and thinking about the day I may splurge on a Mac.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
On splurging Apr 1, 2016

englishpartner wrote:

After weeks of battling the pesky pop-up encouraging me to upgrade to Windows 10 (on a Win 7 laptop), I gave in and went ahead with it. It worked beautifully for several hours, and I was impressed by the fact my machine seemed to run faster. And then it didn't run at all: an automatic update was installed and the process attempted to restart my computer but no such luck. It froze, and all of my ensuing 14 attempts at restarting it ended the same way - the computer froze in various stages of the startup process.

I ended up having to take it to my IT guy, who uninstalled Win 10 and restored Win 7. He also disabled those hideous upgrade reminders and told me that I wasn't the first one to come in with this problem. He said no matter what Microsoft claims, lots of people have compatibility problems on older machines, that is, those made prior to Win 10. He did recommend it for new computers, but ultimately said if your computer was made to run Win 7 chances are you will be better off sticking with that instead of upgrading.

I'm now happily running Win 7 again without issues and thinking about the day I may splurge on a Mac.

How much did all the above cost you, how much time did it require, and for how long did it prevent you from working?

If you make a spreadsheet comparing the lifetime costs **including everything such as the stuff you've just described** of a Mac as against a PC, I think you'll find that buying a Mac, far from being a "splurge" is a wise financial decision.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 10

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »