Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7 after deleting ‘Windows.old’?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:06
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All quiet on the fanfront. Oct 14, 2015

Hmm, OK, so I installed Windows 7 (in a dual boot setup with Windows 10), and the fans weren't any quieter in 7. However, now that I'm back on 10, the fans seem to have quieted down again. Incidentally, I am currently on:

some_text

Btw, I really like build 10565. The colours are much cooler (that is, ‘cooler’ not as in bluer, but nicer) and the UI is starting to look & feel finished!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Good for you) Oct 15, 2015

Michael, the problem for now is nobody (including MS support) can tell for sure whether a new *unpolished* (!!!) OS would do for you, let alone how. For instance, branded/barebone machines at our office with the same hardware and settings had different outcome and nuances. My colleague and I have the same notebooks with consecutive batch numbers, yet after officious 'upgrading' my notebook started using more powerful integrated videocard--disregarding the powersaving settings, wher... See more
Michael, the problem for now is nobody (including MS support) can tell for sure whether a new *unpolished* (!!!) OS would do for you, let alone how. For instance, branded/barebone machines at our office with the same hardware and settings had different outcome and nuances. My colleague and I have the same notebooks with consecutive batch numbers, yet after officious 'upgrading' my notebook started using more powerful integrated videocard--disregarding the powersaving settings, whereas as her notebook clinged to an integrated videocard--rendering all intensive video/CUDA to nil.

It may seem 'cool' until you've got a job and a *new* unpleasant glitch or "feature" appears.
Shortly, I believe that WHEN I would really need a new OS, then I would consider a stable one--with a big service pack)

Cheers.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:36
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
TO3000 and Across Nov 16, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

I haven't actually discovered a single program that doesn't run under 10 that did under 7. Which programs of yours did you have trouble running under 10, that did work in your previous OS? Also, what was your previous OS? Was it Windows 7, or something else? I'm asking because people often think it is impossible to run certain legacy programs in various versions of Windows, which in fact can be run, but using a few tricks (running them in Compatibility Mode, for example).

Michael

Sorry for the late response, I stumbled on your post only now.

One critical programme that ceased to function in Windows 10 was Translation Office 3000 (version 8). It works up to Windows 8, but not in Windows 10. I checked with AIT and they confirmed that this version is not compatible with Windows 10.

Another programme that doesn't work with Windows 10 according to its programmers (but in fact it does work) is Across.

I can live without Across, but TO3000 is absolutely critical for my business, which is I why I haven't gone for Windows 10 yet. It will have to wait till I have made up my mind to upgrade TO3000 to the latest version.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7 after deleting ‘Windows.old’?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »