Recording. How many words can you record per hour
Thread poster: perceptio
perceptio
perceptio
Canada
Local time: 23:38
English to French
Aug 11, 2010

Hi, This is my first post. I hope you can help me.

I have to provide a quote for a recording project of 90,000 words.
The translation is already done, all I have to do is record the scripts.
Do you charge per word, per hour? And how many words can you record in one hour?

Thank you for your help.

Emilia Prekate-Kyminas
Emilia Prekate-Kyminas
Greece
Local time: 08:38
English to Greek
+ ...
Approximately 6,000 words? Aug 11, 2010

Hello Frederika, when Ι do transcriptions using a voice recognition tool, I produce approximately 6,000 words per hour when the text is straightforward and with no significant pauses. I realise it's not the same thing with what you have to do, but I hope it can help you with the number of words. Regards, Emilia.

[Edited at 2010-08-11 21:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-11 21:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-11 21:47 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Aug 11, 2010

I worked with a German voiceover artist once, and saw his invoice at the end of the job. He charged by the hour, and I can't remember how much, but I was shocked at how expensive he was. So don't sell yourself short!

[Edited at 2010-08-11 21:27 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:38
German to English
Select 1000 words and time yourself Aug 11, 2010

Different langaues are normally spoken at different speeds, so there's no rule of thumb that applies to all languages.

The best way to come up with an estimate is to select 1000 words of text, set your watch and see how long it takes to record the words, read at a normal pace.

You're not going to be able to record 90,000 words in a few sessions. You also need to build in provisions for breaks (your voice will give out after a while), repeated text (voice-over work is a
... See more
Different langaues are normally spoken at different speeds, so there's no rule of thumb that applies to all languages.

The best way to come up with an estimate is to select 1000 words of text, set your watch and see how long it takes to record the words, read at a normal pace.

You're not going to be able to record 90,000 words in a few sessions. You also need to build in provisions for breaks (your voice will give out after a while), repeated text (voice-over work is astonishingly difficult: be prepared to stumble over text, or cough, etc. requiring you to repeat sentences).
Collapse

perceptio
perceptio
Canada
Local time: 23:38
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 12, 2010

Thank you all for your input.

This is very helpful. I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my question.

I will follow Kevin's advice and see how much time it takes to record 1000 words.

Thanks again.

Frederika

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recording. How many words can you record per hour

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »