How to get certified by the American Translators Society?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 8, 2006

Does anyone know how you can get certified by the American Translators Society as this agency claims to be?:
http://www.ultratranslate.com/

Are there any other agencies that have been certified by this organization?
http://www.ats-us.org/

Unfortunately, you cannot view the list of member
... See more
Does anyone know how you can get certified by the American Translators Society as this agency claims to be?:
http://www.ultratranslate.com/

Are there any other agencies that have been certified by this organization?
http://www.ats-us.org/

Unfortunately, you cannot view the list of members unless you join.

[Edited at 2006-12-08 04:36]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe you're thinking of... Dec 8, 2006

The American Translators ASSOCIATION - ATA

Check: Certification - www.atanet.org/certification/

This ATS seems to be just another translation AGENCY.

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
American Translators Society Dec 8, 2006

No, I am not thinking about the ATA. This agency specifically mentions on their website that they are "American Translators Society Certified" and there is a webpage for this "Society" (see previous post).

I know that the ATA has a certification program for translators, but can agencies become ATA certified as well?

Henry Hinds wrote:

The American Translators ASSOCIATION - ATA

Check: Certification - www.atanet.org/certification/

This ATS seems to be just another translation AGENCY.

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:10
English to Spanish
It was BS back in 2005... Dec 8, 2006

and it's still BS now IMO... you brought this up to our attention a year ago (http://www.proz.com/topic/30720) and nothing has changed since (at least to my knowledge - still a dodgy site with no contact info and no whois data).

I suggest you send a support ticket regarding this agency.

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
What does certification mean? Dec 9, 2006

I'm an outsourcer and I often get resumes from people who claim to be certified. One of the first questions I ask is "certified by whom as what?" Some of the answers I get are enlightening, such as the woman who indicated she was a certified child-care provider, certified by some town in Rhode Island. While that may be a very important credential to have in some circumstances, it doesn't relate to what I want.

The American Translators Society has a name fairly similar to that of
... See more
I'm an outsourcer and I often get resumes from people who claim to be certified. One of the first questions I ask is "certified by whom as what?" Some of the answers I get are enlightening, such as the woman who indicated she was a certified child-care provider, certified by some town in Rhode Island. While that may be a very important credential to have in some circumstances, it doesn't relate to what I want.

The American Translators Society has a name fairly similar to that of the American Translators Association. That may be intentional. (I am a member of the ATA, but this is the first I've heard of the ATS.)

By the way, if you can't see the list of certified people unless you join, why would potential clients that don't want to join bother looking to see whether you're certified?

This doesn't strike me as something to pursue. But it's not my decision.
Collapse

dmoamin
dmoamin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:10
Arabic to English
+ ...
I agree Dec 11, 2006

Honestly I do not know why do i need to be certified? what does it proof?
ATA charges too much to certify any translator. and worse even to be certified by them you will only go one way for example either ( Arabic into English or English into Arabic) you will need to pay seperatly for each one.

another problem with ATA is that you pay too much money for nothing. to take the test you must become a member to become a member you must pay. to take the test you must pay as well. a
... See more
Honestly I do not know why do i need to be certified? what does it proof?
ATA charges too much to certify any translator. and worse even to be certified by them you will only go one way for example either ( Arabic into English or English into Arabic) you will need to pay seperatly for each one.

another problem with ATA is that you pay too much money for nothing. to take the test you must become a member to become a member you must pay. to take the test you must pay as well. after all that , you must check to see where the test is ( normally not any place near you) so you must travel and pay travel expensses as well.

if you really count all those expensses you will end up paying at least $1000 to get only Arabic into English ( one pair)

i been a member of ATA just because i wanted to see what kind of service i might be able to obtain, and honestly nothing worth it at all.
all i got from them was magazens that talk about translation and meetings and translators get togther ( and pay for this and pay for that)
in all honesty what does ATA offer to anyone in return for the service? and of course there is the recertification and the renewal of your membership. money money and more money. just pay for nothing.

one question ( what makes the instructor who is correcting my answers on the test more knowledgeable than me in either languages)?
I been looking into this for a very long time to see if it is worth trying and worth all the money. Honestly it is not and i am not going to renew my ATA membership and i do not wish to be certified by them it does not provide anything to me at all.
i think that your background and your own knowledge and expereince will get you where you need to be.
look at Proz.com. by joining them you can get a lot of benefits 1st you get your own website, you get technical support, you get your own profile where many agencies and clients get the chance to see you.
our jobs are different than other jobs in the world. i think and i suggest that proz offers some sort of certification ( very simple one) no need for too complicated issues. i think proz offers a lot more than what ATA offers
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
ATS is not ATA Dec 15, 2006

The original poster was asking about getting certified by ATS. You're responding about getting certified by ATA. ATA, at least, lets potential clients know you passed the test (assuming you did). ATS doesn't, according to the original poster. So I think ATS certification is worth less than ATA certification (and you just indicated you didn't think highly of ATA certification).

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jul 8, 2015

[Edited at 2015-07-08 13:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get certified by the American Translators Society?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »