What are the requirements of attending (signing up for) the ATA Conference?
Thread poster: Matthew Trulandzev
Matthew Trulandzev
Matthew Trulandzev
United States
German to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2021

Hello everyone, hopefully everyone of you is doing well. Forgive me if I'm asking in the wrong forum or anything similar.
I need to find information about what it takes to participate in this event, e.g. does one have to be a member of the ATA or anything as such? I know about the ATA website, but I didn't find any information (perhaps I should have looked harder).
Does anyone know what all of the requirements are, for one to attend the ATA Conference?
I guess my other questi
... See more
Hello everyone, hopefully everyone of you is doing well. Forgive me if I'm asking in the wrong forum or anything similar.
I need to find information about what it takes to participate in this event, e.g. does one have to be a member of the ATA or anything as such? I know about the ATA website, but I didn't find any information (perhaps I should have looked harder).
Does anyone know what all of the requirements are, for one to attend the ATA Conference?
I guess my other question is, it seems there are three days of this conference taking place, does that mean that one has to attend all three days, or is it a choice whether you'd like to do all three i.e. you could do one (or two)?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
German to English
Best to join the organization Jan 24, 2021

This is based on my own pre-covid experience ...
As far as I know, non-members can attend the conference, but the fee is much higher than for members. The conference usually lasts for 3 days, with presentations/fora on a variety of topics. You can pick and choose the presentations you wish to attend.

If the pandemic persists, the conference may be a virtual event, as was the last one.
Perhaps active members of the organization can provide more guidance.

Dalia Nour
Liviu-Lee Roth

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:28
German to English
1 day plus 3 Jan 24, 2021

The pre-conference seminars are on the Wednesday, with the conference proper running from the Thursday to the Saturday (inclusive).

The pre-conference ("AST Day") seminars have to be booked and paid for separately. For the conference itself, you can either register for all three days or for the Saturday only.

As Kevin noted, the membership discount to the regular registration fees is significant.

Apparently the current plans are for a hybrid conference this
... See more
The pre-conference seminars are on the Wednesday, with the conference proper running from the Thursday to the Saturday (inclusive).

The pre-conference ("AST Day") seminars have to be booked and paid for separately. For the conference itself, you can either register for all three days or for the Saturday only.

As Kevin noted, the membership discount to the regular registration fees is significant.

Apparently the current plans are for a hybrid conference this year in Minneapolis, but this could change as the year progresses.
Collapse

Matthew Trulandzev
Matthew Trulandzev
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU MUCH Jan 30, 2021

Thank you very much, folks. Sorry for getting back this late. Very much appreciated. God Bless.
As a beginner/newbie, I'll need to find out how much this event will be worth to attend, or whether it'll be worth it at all. So far, I have a feeling that maybe I shouldn't go for it, as I'm barely even a beginner.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
German to English
`Try to find a local translators association Jan 30, 2021

Your profile doesn't provide any location data. I suggest you start by looking for a translators association in your state. You might find the advice you need there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the requirements of attending (signing up for) the ATA Conference?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »