"Translation Directory", a reliable site?
Thread poster: Gaby Dubois
Gaby Dubois
Gaby Dubois  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 16, 2015

Dear colleagues,

I hope everyone's New Year is starting out nicely. Much success to each and everyone of you! Now, down to business if I may.

I was searching the Web today for more sites like PROZ where one can get and offer translation jobs. I can across a site called "Translation Directory" and I wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of it? Forgive my ignorance, this site may or may not be very popular, I've just simply never heard of it before. It was free to sign
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I hope everyone's New Year is starting out nicely. Much success to each and everyone of you! Now, down to business if I may.

I was searching the Web today for more sites like PROZ where one can get and offer translation jobs. I can across a site called "Translation Directory" and I wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of it? Forgive my ignorance, this site may or may not be very popular, I've just simply never heard of it before. It was free to sign up and create a profile (which I did) and it seems to work a lot in the same manner in which PROZ does. Most importantly, I wanted to hear peoples success stories regarding this site and see if it is a scam or actually something worth keeping?

On this same note, do any of you know of other sites like PROZ where one can market their services and get linguistic work? (Aside from PROZ and Translators Café, of course). I already belong to PROZ and the ATA and have a pretty good network established, however I am also always hungry and looking more for and more avenues to develop business.

Thank you all for any assistance you may or may not have. Your time is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gaby Dubois
Collapse

Nkuge Comfort

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Before this thread gets deleted... Jan 16, 2015

Gaby Dubois wrote:
I was searching the Web today for more sites like PROZ...

Sometimes, it is against the rules to mention competitors' sites on the forums, and the thread that mentions it gets deleted. So, while the thread still exists...

I came across a site called "Translation Directory" and I wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of it?

Most people who ask about the Translation Directory do so because they want to buy lists of translation agencies, but from your questions I gather that you want a place to register yourself, so that clients can find you. Is that right?

Yes, it has existed for a long time. It's free to register. I did a search for freelancers in my own language combination, and saw many names that I recognise. The rates vary from extremely low to reasonably okay to unrealistically high. I think one should register anyway, to get yet another mention of one's name on the web.

Most importantly, I wanted to hear peoples success stories regarding this site and see if it is a scam or actually something worth keeping?

It's not a scam.

On this same note, do any of you know of other sites like PROZ where one can market their services and get linguistic work?

There are a few, but this thread will definitely be deleted if we mention them.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Where to discuss this kind of topic? Jan 16, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

There are a few, but this thread will definitely be deleted if we mention them.

On a side note: Where CAN this be discussed? Surely there must be some kind of forum for this somewhere?

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:49
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
LinkedIn and Facebook Jan 16, 2015

On a side note: Where CAN this be discussed? Surely there must be some kind of forum for this somewhere?.

That's where you can search for censorship-free discussion forums for translators. Yes, most professionals prefer Facebook to ProZ for both serious discussions and watercooler conversations these days.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:49
Italian to English
One option Jan 16, 2015

You could try https://www.facebook.com/groups/extraordinarytranslators/?fref=nf
(which I think I can mention since it isn't in any sense a competitor site).

This includes extensions of topics initiated here that might fall foul of site rules. Although the moderators are very visible, I have been pleasantly surprised that the tone of discussions hardly
... See more
You could try https://www.facebook.com/groups/extraordinarytranslators/?fref=nf
(which I think I can mention since it isn't in any sense a competitor site).

This includes extensions of topics initiated here that might fall foul of site rules. Although the moderators are very visible, I have been pleasantly surprised that the tone of discussions hardly ever gets out of hand.
Collapse

Renate Radziwill-Rall
Renate Radziwill-Rall  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
no possibility of pretection Jan 30, 2019

I was contacted today by the following guy: Isaac Gatewood; 3313 Prytania Street, Nouvelle-Orléans, LA 70115 états-unis pretending to come from Translation Directory. Big job in perspective. So, after research I found out on proz that the guy is known for being an cheater and criminal. I tried to contact Translation Directory for them to throw the guy out of their system. There is finally no way of doing this. Everything is so formatted that you cannot make them move on items of this kind. So ... See more
I was contacted today by the following guy: Isaac Gatewood; 3313 Prytania Street, Nouvelle-Orléans, LA 70115 états-unis pretending to come from Translation Directory. Big job in perspective. So, after research I found out on proz that the guy is known for being an cheater and criminal. I tried to contact Translation Directory for them to throw the guy out of their system. There is finally no way of doing this. Everything is so formatted that you cannot make them move on items of this kind. So he can freely go on and cheat on translators.Collapse

Zena Al-Zinc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Translation Directory", a reliable site?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »