Thread poster: Belinda Lindsay Clark
Belinda Lindsay Clark
Belinda Lindsay Clark  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 30, 2012

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could tell me the main/best/most useful translator forums in the UK. I'm on a couple of forums in Spain which are very useful but was wondering which forums exist in the UK for translators.

Thanks in advance!

Belinda

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:13
Member (2003)
French to English
CIOL / ITI May 30, 2012

Hi Belinda,

The forums I use most often are TransNet (run by the Translating Division of the Chartered Institute of Linguists – there's a general group that covers all kinds of translation-related issues plus language-specific groups) and the subject and language networks run by ITI.

You have to be a member of the relevant organisations, but I see you mention the CIOL in your profile so maybe that would be a good starting point.

Best wishes,
Karen

Christine Andersen

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
ProZ.com forum "Ttranslation in the UK" May 30, 2012

Hi Belinda

There is a specific forum on this site, in case you weren't aware of it:
http://www.proz.com/forum/794

Belinda Lindsay Clark
Belinda Lindsay Clark  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 31, 2012

I had no idea there was a forum on ProZ... I did a search yesterday but obviously not the right type. Thank you. I'll also have a look on CIoL although I'm not actually a member at the moment.

So there are no public (as in non-association-related) forums?

Thank you both for your help.
B

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
ProZ is public May 31, 2012

This is a 'non-association' site. For most of the others I can think of there are stringent conditions regarding qualifications or membership of a professional association.

mikeboul
mikeboul
Spain
UK translator forums Aug 18, 2020

Hi Belinda,

Any success on finding a good translator forum? I usually work with Okodia, a really good translation agency and they also asked me that question, but I couldn't find anything than ProZ.
Thanks!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Transnet is still going strong, for CIoL members Aug 18, 2020

I do not live in the UK, so I do not know any others.

To join Transnet and its associated Wine Bar for lighter discussions and off-topic postings, you do have to be some kind of member of the CIoL (Associate or Student member, for instance, not necessarily a fully qualified member.)

Anne Maclennan
Anne Maclennan  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
CIOL member Aug 18, 2020

Hi Belinda,

You say "I'll also have a look on CIoL although I'm not actually a member at the moment." If you are not currently a member , why are you showing membership on your profile? As fully paid up member of the CIOL, I find that slightly unusual, not to put too fine a point on it. Is this ethical?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
That post was made in 2012! Aug 19, 2020

Anne Maclennan wrote:

Hi Belinda,

You say "I'll also have a look on CIoL although I'm not actually a member at the moment." If you are not currently a member , why are you showing membership on your profile? As fully paid up member of the CIOL, I find that slightly unusual, not to put too fine a point on it. Is this ethical?

This thread was started in 2012!
You can see the date of each post in the top right corner.

I have not taken the time to search the CIoL site, but let us assume that in the intervening years, Belinda has joined the CIoL

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
CIOL Aug 22, 2020

Regarding the CIOL, it's a shame that membership is required for the forums.
I have considered joining CIOL or ITI but the problem is the high cost. Not only is membership expensive but it appears that the examination is not offered in Brazil, which means a trip to Uruguay (36 hours by bus plus hotel fees) just to take the exam. Does anyone know if this is true? I find it strange that Brazil has no examination centre for the DipTrans but Uruguay (a much smaller country in size) does.
... See more
Regarding the CIOL, it's a shame that membership is required for the forums.
I have considered joining CIOL or ITI but the problem is the high cost. Not only is membership expensive but it appears that the examination is not offered in Brazil, which means a trip to Uruguay (36 hours by bus plus hotel fees) just to take the exam. Does anyone know if this is true? I find it strange that Brazil has no examination centre for the DipTrans but Uruguay (a much smaller country in size) does.
Maybe I'm wrong, as I remember some years ago there was a place in Pinheiros (São Paulo) that offered the exam. I thought of taking it but the price was too high.
Regarding forums, right now, I only take part in the ProZ forum which I find very interesting and useful. I see many language-specific and country-specific forums listed.
I also take part in two translators' groups (for Brazil) which often have interesting discussions: Tradutores / Intérpretes (Translators and Interpreters) and Tradutores, Intérpretes e Curiosos (Translators, Interpreters and the Curious). Maybe there is something like this for the UK?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK translator forums

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »