Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Make an underpriviliged child feel special and famous.
Thread poster: Schwabamädle
Hélène Treloar
Hélène Treloar  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:12
French to English
+ ...
Hi Andrea Jan 10, 2008

I am sure that I want to participate, my language pair is English/ French.
I will gladly do translation.
my e-mail is [email protected]
My husband and I have a foster child through Plan Canada, he lives in Zimbabwe and speaks Ndebele, he is only 4 years old, but he has an older brother who may be could write, or may be a school project could be done.
Paper and pens are too expensive there, for them to participate wit
... See more
My husband and I have a foster child through Plan Canada, he lives in Zimbabwe and speaks Ndebele, he is only 4 years old, but he has an older brother who may be could write, or may be a school project could be done.
Paper and pens are too expensive there, for them to participate without additional help.
If the logistics could be worked out, I would gladly donate paper and pens for 10 children, for their voice to be heard...
I do not feel that I quite understand what you are doing though, can you provide your website address again please.
Let me know what I can do.
Hélène
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am looking for stories from underprivleged children around the world Jan 10, 2008

Dear Helene,
please read the Forum Translators4kids the history and everything is explained there. The website is http://www.translators4kids.com. Yes that would be great if you could contact them but you have to ask the authority of the children for permission.

helene123 wrote:

Paper and pens are too expensive there, for them to participate without additional help.
If the logistics could be worked out, I would gladly donate paper and pens for 10 children, for their voice to be heard...
I do not feel that I quite understand what you are doing though, can you provide your website address again please.
Let me know what I can do.
Hélène

[Edited at 2008-01-10 15:22]

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To all people who replied Jan 10, 2008

In order to prevent any misunderstanding please start reading at

http://www.proz.com/forum/98

Everything is posted there from the beginning. But my intension is to make it a bit easier submitting stories. Thats why I opened this thread. Please read my first posting on this thread as well.

You can also get more info at t
... See more
In order to prevent any misunderstanding please start reading at

http://www.proz.com/forum/98

Everything is posted there from the beginning. But my intension is to make it a bit easier submitting stories. Thats why I opened this thread. Please read my first posting on this thread as well.

You can also get more info at the website of T4K http://www.translators4kids.com. There are some links which are still under construction because the website has been renewed and will take a bit to make it fully work. But still, there is a lot of useful info as well.

Thanks for your interest.

Sincerely
Andrea Di Marco

[Edited at 2008-01-10 15:32]
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
COLLECTING STORIES "no translating required right now" Jan 11, 2008

Hello everyone..

Today I thought I was rich like crazy because I had so many e-mails... hm I think 400 or so..most asking me for a translation job.... Hey...I am looking for something to translate as well so dont take my jobs away... ha ha..
Okay I will open a new threat with the description of the Book Project for Translators4kids. The problem with most volunteers is that they think ahead. Please don't otherwise I am getting confused. (-;

No translation require
... See more
Hello everyone..

Today I thought I was rich like crazy because I had so many e-mails... hm I think 400 or so..most asking me for a translation job.... Hey...I am looking for something to translate as well so dont take my jobs away... ha ha..
Okay I will open a new threat with the description of the Book Project for Translators4kids. The problem with most volunteers is that they think ahead. Please don't otherwise I am getting confused. (-;

No translation required right now.

Here comes a little present from youtube....I think it is so so nice. To be honest I watch it if I am upset...

Oh, no no I am not upset right now....I just want you to be happy and smile..thanks to all the people who replied and thanks to all the people who want to translate and thanks to all the people who read my thread...... lets show the world that things can be done if we work together without any bureaucratic stuff.

Thanks Henry for giving Translators4kids all that space.

Andrea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMRHrmZfGk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P6UU6m3cqk

Okay please look at new threat...... Ciao for now.

Good or bad please email me... at [email protected] or [email protected] mail.....

NEW THREAD IMPORTANT HOW TO IDENTIFY YOU PROSPECT

http://www.proz.com/topic/93869

[Edited at 2008-01-11 01:55]

[Edited at 2008-01-11 02:18]

[Edited at 2008-01-11 02:48]
Collapse

Claudine Pierre-Antoine
Claudine Pierre-Antoine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:12
English to French
Count me in too! Jan 11, 2008

What a joy to be able to help.

"It is more blessed to give than to receive." Truly.

I will be actively looking for stories, and you may count me in for translations:

English to French, French to English, Polish to French, and Polish to English.

Thank you!

Claudine Pierre-Antoine

Maria Al-Munajjed
Maria Al-Munajjed
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 23:12
Arabic to English
+ ...
Translation Jan 12, 2008

Hi, count me in for any translations in the following pairs

English , Arabic
Arabic , English

cheers

[Edited at 2008-01-12 10:44]

Carol Chen
Carol Chen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:12
English to Chinese
Would like to know if I could help! Jan 14, 2008

Hi, all, would like to offer my hand.
My working language is English to Simplified Chinese.

Kind regards
Carol Chen

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your membership and your kind offer to be a Collection Team Leader for India Jan 14, 2008

Thanks for writing to me dear Niraja, and your offer to be a Collection Team Leader representing Translators4kids in your country.

The powwow on January the 20 would be such a great opportunity to present this project. I will contact you through your e-mail and send you your requested documents.

Also thank you for your offering of the translations from the Indian languages into English. I feel really happy to have meet you through this forum and look very much for
... See more
Thanks for writing to me dear Niraja, and your offer to be a Collection Team Leader representing Translators4kids in your country.

The powwow on January the 20 would be such a great opportunity to present this project. I will contact you through your e-mail and send you your requested documents.

Also thank you for your offering of the translations from the Indian languages into English. I feel really happy to have meet you through this forum and look very much forward to be in closer contact with you. Your posting is very encouraging and very much honoured.

Kind regards,
Andrea
Email: [email protected]

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

Hi Andrea,

I recently became a member of T4K and have been in touch with Natalia Eklund.

I would like to help out in any way I can. Some of us here will be meeting at a powwow on January 20th and I thought I could start a collective effort amongst Indian translators to collect stories from children for your book project. As you can imagine, less privileged children in India have a lot of stories to tell! I will, of course, ask them to translate the stories from the Indian languages into English, so that you have the Indian language version as well as the English one.

I have just heard from Natalia again and she referred me to this forum discussion. I will get back to you after discussing this with my Indian colleagues at the powwow. I hope that's OK with you and serves your purpose.

Thanks and regards,
Niraja

Collapse

Eliza Allan
Eliza Allan
Australia
Local time: 06:12
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Suggestion Jan 14, 2008

Hi Andrea,

Your project sounds fantastic and I would love to get involved...

As I understand it, what you are needing now is not translators, but actually people to help gather submissions from underprivileged children to be published in the book, correct?

Do you have a campaign poster of any sort? To get word out, maybe put posters in strategic places, the posters would include:

1. Short explanation of the project
2. Suggestions of suita
... See more
Hi Andrea,

As I understand it, what you are needing now is not translators, but actually people to help gather submissions from underprivileged children to be published in the book, correct?

Do you have a campaign poster of any sort? To get word out, maybe put posters in strategic places, the posters would include:

2. Suggestions of suitable places/ methods to find suitable children
3. Simple, step by step instructions on submission details
4. Naturally, eye catching text and graphics.

I used to sideline as a graphic designer in (one of) my past life, and would be happy to put together a campaign poster for you. Anyone could then download and print off the posters from your website to distribute/ display in public areas.

Let me know what you think anyway...
Collapse

Eliza Allan
Eliza Allan
Australia
Indonesian to English
+ ...
One more suggestion.... Jan 14, 2008

HOW TO GET KIDS TO WRITE??

I used to be a primary school teacher (in yet another one of my past lives..lol) and know first hand that it is near on impossible to ask kids to just sit down all of a sudden and write. They need ideas, inspritation, etc

So perhaps when people are asking underprivilaged kids to write something, and they are not quite sure of what to write, we could try giving them some kind of guidelines, eg:

1. We are making a book about ______
... See more

I used to be a primary school teacher (in yet another one of my past lives..lol) and know first hand that it is near on impossible to ask kids to just sit down all of a sudden and write. They need ideas, inspritation, etc

So perhaps when people are asking underprivilaged kids to write something, and they are not quite sure of what to write, we could try giving them some kind of guidelines, eg:

1. We are making a book about ______ for _______ and we want to hear your special story. What makes you unique?

2. What has been difficult for you in your life, and what do you hope to do with it in the future? (dreams, aspirations, etc)

Just some ideas....
Collapse

Krzysztof Raczkowiak
Krzysztof Raczkowiak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:12
English to Polish
+ ...
Too complicated, I am afraid Jan 14, 2008

eliza14 wrote:

1. We are making a book about ______ for _______ and we want to hear your special story. What makes you unique?

2. What has been difficult for you in your life, and what do you hope to do with it in the future? (dreams, aspirations, etc)

Just some ideas....

Dear Eliza,
thanks for those valuable thoughts. However, I think that asking children to answer such questions would be too direct, i.e. a child could get blocked when told to realistically recall the difficulties of his/her life. I believe we need an intermediary form to encourage them to express themselves.
Besides, I believe we don't need to amaze prospect readers with how bad the world is. Instead, I am convinced we should be looking for a quasi-artistic form for the project.
Moreover, I think most of our prospect contributors may simply be unable to answer such self-reflective questions.
Again, these are only my opinions, and I hope no offence will be taken by anyone:)

Marisa Pavan
Marisa Pavan
Argentina
Local time: 17:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Collection of material Jan 14, 2008

Hi everybody!

I can tell you my experience as a collector of children's writing pieces for the project. I had your same sensation at the beginning and I thought I cannot stop children in the street and give them a sheet of paper to make them write something. Then, I had the idea of looking for an institution in my city where underprivileged children spend the day.I was lucky to contact an institution that offers workshops for these children and they already had collections of storie
... See more
Hi everybody!

I can tell you my experience as a collector of children's writing pieces for the project. I had your same sensation at the beginning and I thought I cannot stop children in the street and give them a sheet of paper to make them write something. Then, I had the idea of looking for an institution in my city where underprivileged children spend the day.I was lucky to contact an institution that offers workshops for these children and they already had collections of stories written by the children.
I hope my experience is useful.
Regards,
Marisa
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is the project of Translators4kids at http://www.translators4kids.com Jan 14, 2008

Dear Eliza
It is not my project idea. I am a volunteer working as a Collection Team Leader trying to help Translators4kids in their project to collect stories.

I do appreciate your offer very much to make a campaign poster, with a step by step guide.

I am a bit unsure though if people would download it, print it, and publish it on different places.

See Eliza, Translators4kids already exists for quite awhile but honestly not even a half of the vol
... See more
Dear Eliza
It is not my project idea. I am a volunteer working as a Collection Team Leader trying to help Translators4kids in their project to collect stories.

I do appreciate your offer very much to make a campaign poster, with a step by step guide.

I am a bit unsure though if people would download it, print it, and publish it on different places.

See Eliza, Translators4kids already exists for quite awhile but honestly not even a half of the volunteers read the postings nor the newsletters and so on, or even had a look at our website. This is why I am a bit discouraged and want to make things as easy as possible.

If you think that this would be a good idea please go ahead. The only one who should profit on this are the children so if you think it works than please go ahead and let me know and I will send you more info.

Of course there must be guidelines for certain things and there is, but I will only take the initiative to let people have a closer look inside if I think that they are very serious. Otherwise it takes so much time of mine to answer peoples e-mail and in the meanwhile most is already posted.

Like for example in my earlier posts I have written that I have different kinds of presentations which could be shown (and again I am repeating myself) to different organizations or representatives of the children, but truly Eliza there were only 5 people from all who posted who asked me to send them a presentation in their language.

So this just shows me that it is very difficult task to promote this project. And I mean what better spot than this is there. It is called Translators4kids.

I apologize for my English and do not want to offend anyone.

As for the writing guidelines. The only suggestion I have is to be as sensitive as possible as outlined in Krzysztof's posting in the last thread called

http://www.proz.com/post/759388#759388

Thanks very much for your input Eliza

Hello again dear Eliza, I am editing my post right now because I have thought of your response.

First of all I would like to apologize to you for the above posting, were I have basically complained that most volunteer do not read the postings thoroughly enough and which has absolutely nothing to do with you. It has something to do that we all have to work but try on the other hand to do something good on our sparetime which is sometimes very spare (-; my response to your helpful posting was not aimed at you but rather myself being unorganized in my thoughts. I apologize again dear Eliza and I want you to know that I really appreciate your offer to help.

Sincerely
Andrea

Andrea

eliza14 wrote:

Hi Andrea,

2. Suggestions of suitable places/ methods to find suitable children
3. Simple, step by step instructions on submission details
4. Naturally, eye catching text and graphics.

I used to sideline as a graphic designer in (one of) my past life, and would be happy to put together a campaign poster for you. Anyone could then download and print off the posters from your website to distribute/ display in public areas.

Let me know what you think anyway...

[Edited at 2008-01-15 01:07]
Collapse

Eliza Allan
Eliza Allan
Australia
Indonesian to English
+ ...
ok.. Jan 15, 2008

Krzysztof Raczkowiak wrote:

eliza14 wrote:

Just some ideas....

Dear Eliza,
thanks for those valuable thoughts. However, I think that asking children to answer such questions would be too direct, i.e. a child could get blocked when told to realistically recall the difficulties of his/her life. I believe we need an intermediary form to encourage them to express themselves.
Besides, I believe we don't need to amaze prospect readers with how bad the world is. Instead, I am convinced we should be looking for a quasi-artistic form for the project.
Moreover, I think most of our prospect contributors may simply be unable to answer such self-reflective questions.
Again, these are only my opinions, and I hope no offence will be taken by anyone:)

Absolutely, I understand what you're saying... I was just saying that when people, including children, are stuck for ideas or have 'writers block', sometimes a 'writing prompt' can help us open up and get the creative juices flowing. That's all

[Edited at 2008-01-15 01:11]

Eliza Allan
Eliza Allan
Australia
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Poster Jan 15, 2008

Hi Andrea!!

Thanks for your prompt reply... btw I realise it is not your personal project, the 'your' in my first sentence was a collective 'your'...

No need to apologize, I understand your frustration- I have worked in similar projects in the past and encountered the same issues. I suppose most people just dont have the time to read through hundreds of posts and open up a few dozen links on the way!... See more
Hi Andrea!!

Thanks for your prompt reply... btw I realise it is not your personal project, the 'your' in my first sentence was a collective 'your'...

No need to apologize, I understand your frustration- I have worked in similar projects in the past and encountered the same issues. I suppose most people just dont have the time to read through hundreds of posts and open up a few dozen links on the way! (I am one of the guilty parties I am afraid sorry... I also wish to apologise for the fact that I did not realise that the guidelines/ prompts for childrens writing had already been discussed on another thread...

Anyway, thus my suggestion of a simple campaign poster. You are correct- there is a possiblity that people may not bother to print it off, etc, but anything is worth a try right? It will be something that people who are out and about can see, they only have to read one page, and can immediatly act on it, rather than trawl through pages of postings, only to become confused and decide, 'nah, too hard, cant be bothered'....
Just my opinions...Hope my post does not offend

PS: I think somone already mentioned this, but the link to 'book project' on the T4K website is broken...

Andrea Di Marco wrote:

Dear Eliza

See Eliza, Translators4kids already exists for quite awhile but honestly not even a half of the volunteers read the postings nor the newsletters and so on, or even had a look at our website. This is why I am a bit discouraged and want to make things as easy as possible.

If you think that this would be a good idea please go ahead. The only one who should profit on this are the children so if you think it works than please go ahead and let me know and I will send you more info.

Of course there must be guidelines for certain things and there is, but I will only take the initiative to let people have a closer look inside if I think that they are very serious. Otherwise it takes so much time of mine to answer peoples e-mail and in the meanwhile most is already posted.

Like for example in my earlier posts I have written that I have different kinds of presentations which could be shown (and again I am repeating myself) to different organizations or representatives of the children, but truly Eliza there were only 5 people from all who posted who asked me to send them a presentation in their language.

So this just shows me that it is very difficult task to promote this project. And I mean what better spot than this is there. It is called Translators4kids.

I apologize for my English and do not want to offend anyone.

As for the writing guidelines. The only suggestion I have is to be as sensitive as possible as outlined in Krzysztof's posting in the last thread called

http://www.proz.com/post/759388#759388

Thanks very much for your input Eliza

[Edited at 2008-01-15 03:15]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Make an underpriviliged child feel special and famous.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »