Legal matters
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Not in my wildest dreams... Jan 30, 2005

...and they can be wild, let me tell you! - did I expect so many ProZians willing to act as a board member and contributing time, thus founding and making work our own charity. I can't possibly express my thankfulness to all of you, but thank you, thank you, thank you - I will be forever in your debt. And looking forward very much to actually help those children who need help badly, wherever they are.

As some of you already know, a builder hit the main water pipe in our house and fl
... See more
...and they can be wild, let me tell you! - did I expect so many ProZians willing to act as a board member and contributing time, thus founding and making work our own charity. I can't possibly express my thankfulness to all of you, but thank you, thank you, thank you - I will be forever in your debt. And looking forward very much to actually help those children who need help badly, wherever they are.

As some of you already know, a builder hit the main water pipe in our house and flooded it (and believe it or not, my car was crashed twice last week) so I'm pretty busy with domestic things, but as Francina already suggested to me via email, I will certainly celebrate what we have achieved today and simply forget what my house looks like right now

One of the next things I'll be doing is talking to the law firm who is willing to handle legal issues for us and find out what we have to do next.

I'll keep you posted in this thread.

Warm regards
Marion

PS: Some of you expressed your concern that we already have enough (board) members. No: There can never be enough - simply let us know if and in what way you'd like to contribute to this project.
Collapse

Acorna
Acorna  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 14:59
Spanish to French
+ ...
Pls count me in Jan 30, 2005

Hi!

I think this is a great initiative

Pls count me in as a board member and as a translator.

Thank you so much for offering us this great opportunity to do some good

breeze
breeze
Italian to English
+ ...
willing to help Jan 30, 2005

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

OK, so this is the call for volunteers to be on the management committee of our own charity!

As you know by now, we need at least seven. More active charity members / management committee members are of course very welcome.

Call starts: now

Call ends: Sunday, January 30th

I will list and edit volunteers here:

1) Marion Schimmelpfennig (willing to be treasurer, but is also willing to act as something different if another person feels like handling the financial stuff)

2) Francina (willing to act as secretary - to be defined in detail)

3) Balaban Cerit (willing to do the advertising)

4) Paula Dana Szabados (type of role to be defined)

5) Wout-Jan (& Mirjam) Koridon (via email) (multiple roles possible; to be defined)

6) Giovanna Rampone (role to be defined)

7) Henry (site founder; willing to lend the site's support)

8) aes (role to be defined)

9) Ingrid B. Frick Loli (available as secretary / editor etc.)

10) aurelija25 (role to be defined)

11) Evert Deloof-Sys (role to be defined)

12) Nanette McGuinness (athena22) (available as publisher's liaison)

Note: Although it appears that we are now twelve and can found the non-profit organization, additional members are very much welcome!

Let the posts come in!

[Edited at 2005-01-30 07:50]

[Edited at 2005-01-30 07:58]

[Edited at 2005-01-30 18:09]

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:59
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Please count me in Jan 30, 2005

Let more posts come in!

This is such a wonderful initiative - I'd be more than happy to help out, whether as a translator or an organizer.

Best wishes,
Ildiko
(English>Hungarian & Hngarian>English)

Noris La Valle
Noris La Valle  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
English to Spanish
I can help, too! Jan 31, 2005

Pls count me in in this wonderful initiative!!
Regards
Noris

Gabriela Torres Gregory
Gabriela Torres Gregory  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
One more Jan 31, 2005

Please count me in and let me know how can I help to get things done. Thanks,
Gabriela Torres (Mexico)

Acorna wrote:

Hi!

I think this is a great initiative

Pls count me in as a board member and as a translator.

Thank you so much for offering us this great opportunity to do some good

Pierre Grabowski (X)
Pierre Grabowski (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
Count me in, too! Jan 31, 2005

This is a great initiative!
Please feel free to register me as board member or use my services as consultant or translator. (see also my website www.tristarconsulting.be)

wordsmith0
wordsmith0
Belgium
English to German
+ ...
Board membership openings Jan 31, 2005

Hi Marion and list members,

Although I am aware that the deadline for board membership applications has expired, I'd like to offer any support and involvement I am able to provide without regard to any formal, institutionalized function as a member of a board which has yet to be defined in terms of legal status and authorities. in particular, I'd propose to put a link to the initiative on a platform for language service providers which I'm going to launch and to promote soon. It is
... See more
Hi Marion and list members,

Although I am aware that the deadline for board membership applications has expired, I'd like to offer any support and involvement I am able to provide without regard to any formal, institutionalized function as a member of a board which has yet to be defined in terms of legal status and authorities. in particular, I'd propose to put a link to the initiative on a platform for language service providers which I'm going to launch and to promote soon. It is also possible to dedicate a fixed percentage of revenues generated by this platform (i.e.,
1 ct per click) to a funds which will have to be established and managed by a duly authorised committee, which will have to meet international standards and regulations governing the proper performance of non-profit work and functions.

It will be a challenging task to identify the legal structure and requirements for such an organization and to find the people who meet these requirements, but it will definitely be worth it. If I can be of any help, please count me in and contact me for more information.

Warm regards,

Roland

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

As some of you already know, a builder hit the main water pipe in our house and flooded it (and believe it or not, my car was crashed twice last week) so I'm pretty busy with domestic things, but as Francina already suggested to me via email, I will certainly celebrate what we have achieved today and simply forget what my house looks like right now

One of the next things I'll be doing is talking to the law firm who is willing to handle legal issues for us and find out what we have to do next.

I'll keep you posted in this thread.

Warm regards
Marion

PS: Some of you expressed your concern that we already have enough (board) members. No: There can never be enough - simply let us know if and in what way you'd like to contribute to this project.
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Additional members welcome anytime Jan 31, 2005

wordsmith0 wrote:
Although I am aware that the deadline for board membership applications has expired,...

Thank you! Although the deadline has indeed expired, it is not really valid or important anymore. I set it simply to find out if there are enough founding / board members. This being the case, additional members are welcome anytime.

Celia Hagerman
Celia Hagerman
English to Spanish
+ ...
I will like to be counted as well Jan 31, 2005

Like many others, I have also been following this post and consecuent messages, from the comfort of my own chair...
I guess that we all tend to get pretty scare when talking and dealing with legal and finantial (mostly taxes, IRS, etc) matters.
Anyway, I would like to participate in this wonderfull project, as a board member, a translator, helping with marketing issues, and giving my time, expertise and efforts.
I am currently employeed by a non profit foundation (like basicall
... See more
Like many others, I have also been following this post and consecuent messages, from the comfort of my own chair...
I guess that we all tend to get pretty scare when talking and dealing with legal and finantial (mostly taxes, IRS, etc) matters.
Anyway, I would like to participate in this wonderfull project, as a board member, a translator, helping with marketing issues, and giving my time, expertise and efforts.
I am currently employeed by a non profit foundation (like basically any University's foundations here in Spain, and I have some knowledge on how a non profit foundation works here, what is needed or not, as well as taxes and other issues). Even so, I am going to keep on researching so I can be sure about if the same rules that apply for our University's General Foundation will apply as well for the kind of project that we are undertaking.
I will keep you inform.
And Marion, thanks a lot for all your efforts, hard work and time... it is appreciated.

Celia Roncero.
Collapse

nizar kallal
nizar kallal  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Arabic
+ ...
Here I am too. Jan 31, 2005

I am aware that the deadline has expired, but I just wanted to inform you that I am ready to provide any help at any time. It is a very important and valuable initiative.

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
The next steps: sharing personal data, building teams, initiating founding process Feb 1, 2005

Dear board-members-to-be!

I would like to outline the next steps to be taken (in my opinion):

1) Sharing our personal data

First of all, we should all share our personal data, i.e. a) full address details, b) expertise / experience and c) possible role on management board. This will help us to gain a better overview and we will need those data to start the founding process of our charity. Do not worry if some of you want to have the same role - we wi
... See more
Dear board-members-to-be!

I would like to outline the next steps to be taken (in my opinion):

1) Sharing our personal data

First of all, we should all share our personal data, i.e. a) full address details, b) expertise / experience and c) possible role on management board. This will help us to gain a better overview and we will need those data to start the founding process of our charity. Do not worry if some of you want to have the same role - we will have more than enough work and we should split it and work in teams. I suggest to set a deadline for this: Saturday, February 4th. I also suggest that you post these details in the 'sharing the workload' thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/27496 (except for your full address which you might not want to share here). Please send your full address details to me: [email protected]

2) Building teams

Although the structure of the translatorskids forum should be - more or less - OK, we should rethink the structure and use the above data to build small working teams. Those teams could discuss and prepare certain issues via email and then present their suggestions to the whole board.

3) Starting the founding process

I have already contacted the German law/tax firm who explained their willingness to help with the legal stuff and sponsor us. I have now heard back from them: They gave me information about non-profit organizations, statutes and articles etc and we should review them first. Umph! I will do that and send/post my summary. Anybody with a good command of German AND law/fiscal terms out there? At some point, we will have to decide on our statutes and articles, and this will probably be our first translation project: translating this text into English.

For those of you who are rather new to translators4kids, I suggest that you try to gain an overview of what's been written here. Not that I'm going to test you afterwards !! But many answers to questions are already right there and it will help you joining the communications. If you are unsure about anything or have a personal question, do not hesitate to contact me (or anyone else here, for that matter).

[Edited at 2005-02-01 10:59]
Collapse

Celia Hagerman
Celia Hagerman
English to Spanish
+ ...
Legal information (Spain) Feb 1, 2005

Okey, I had been investing time in checking out the Spanish laws regarding associations-foundations, and other non-profit organitations, as well as any posible tax-related issues.
And after spending the whole morning on this matter, I ended up talking to someone in the Association's Registar office... that should have been my first step, though!
Anyway, it seems to be pretty complex to do so here. Starting with the fact that there is no way to set and register any association operati
... See more
Okey, I had been investing time in checking out the Spanish laws regarding associations-foundations, and other non-profit organitations, as well as any posible tax-related issues.
And after spending the whole morning on this matter, I ended up talking to someone in the Association's Registar office... that should have been my first step, though!
Anyway, it seems to be pretty complex to do so here. Starting with the fact that there is no way to set and register any association operating internationally, and therefore, it gets even more crazy if we have an international board... the way to do so would be starting an Association in Spain, with a Spanish adress and legal representative, and then open branches in different countries.
About the international component on the board, if the members are from EU countries, there would be no problem, but any member from outside the EU must have a Spanish legal representative.

So that was the info that I got regarding the "starting/opening" matter.
Legally, there are a few points that have to be covered, in order to be registered sucessfully. If the Association is registered, the founders/ board members, etc would not be held liable in any way in case that there is any legal problem with the Association. If not registered, each individual board member/founder will automatically be consider liable personally for any wrongdoing.
The process goes from having a first "meeting" of the founders ( the minimum number of founders is 3", who agree on the constitution of the association. After that, a document stating the goals, ends, aims and so on of the Association, the name of it, the names, addresses and the number on the Identification Card (ID) of each of the board members, etc. And other information in general must be done.

I find out that any association that has as aims the aid to kids-teenagers, is protected by the goverment somehow. Therefore, any money obtain either by commercial or not commercial ways, that it is re-invested on the aims (more so being helping kids the main end)is totally tax free.
Of course, the catch 22 on this matter, is paper-work, paper-work, paper-work. A summary of activities has to be presented to the Registar's Office twice a year, as well as the accounting books 3 times a year, the check of an independent auditing firm is a must, etc...

In my personal opinion, the headquarters being set here in Spain does not sound like a good idea.
Like I said earlier on my posts, I work at a non-profit Foundation, and I know that our accounting department goes nuts in a daily basis trying to keep track of everything, and to follow the legal steps that are set for this kind of entity. We also have outsourced fiscal, labor and legal agencies doing most of the work as well... there is too much red-tape to be cutting throughout, in order to be able to be totally tax-free.
Collapse

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Hello everyone and happy New Year! Feb 1, 2005

Celia Roncero wrote:
the way to do so would be starting an Association in Spain, with a Spanish adress and legal representative, and then open branches in different countries.

Sorry Marion for being absent for so long. Sometimes you just get swamped. But at the same time, I thought it was good to let others in and have their say.

It seems that there are quite a few issues rolling about now, and I'd like to put my two cent's in.

1- As I had originally stated at the beginning of this thread, forming a non-protit organization here in France is relatively easy. You need your bylaws, 2 members, and you sign the form. Under law, all funds are tax-free.

Of course we need a headquarters country, but for an international undertaking like this, it will be necessary to set up a individual branches in each country. In their bylaws they state, "collection of funds destined for 'Headquarters non profit association'". And voilà, you funnel your funds where needed.
This is, however just a question of association structure.

2- If there was a question of whether to form an association or associate with a charity, why not do both? Just a suggestion.

Anyway, I think no matter which direction we choose, we NEED to form a legal association (at the very least to protect our interests).

I'm willing to organize a French team, and lead projects from my side. Sign me up as board member too!

Once we have finished discussing, we need to get together the serious organizers and set out a strict game plan of goals we need to reach to get this thing off the ground. Once everything is established, we will have to set out a general schedule so that everyone stays informed.
(Ex. 1. Write Bylaws
2. Establish HQ
3. Establish Sector Branches
4. Create Language Teams -Designate Team Leaders
5. Make funding contacts
6. Make material collection contacts
7. Etc. etc. etc.)

As I said before, I think the first step is establishing the headquarters....... and it looks like it's going to be in Germany!!!!!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Legal matters

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »