Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Sharing the workload
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:09
English to German
Dec 11, 2004

Sooner or later, "real" tasks will evolve out of this project. This is the place to form teams and to discuss how to share the work.

Francina
Francina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Willing to take on the job of "Secretary" Dec 12, 2004

Hi Marion,
I am willing to take on the job of "Secretary" unless someone else feels they really like to do it.
Francina

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Volunteers needed: Tasks are evolving, teams are being built... Dec 12, 2004

- Language pairs: Eleftheria and Francina are already discussing the task of gathering and listing the language pairs offered by fellow translators.

- Web site: Monika Coulson, Linda (LiMaBi) and Natalya Zelikova have all offered to design and program the web site. That's simply wonderful and we'll have to discuss in due course who will do what when we know what we need from a technical side of view. By the way, I personally don't like frames in a web site...
See more
- Language pairs: Eleftheria and Francina are already discussing the task of gathering and listing the language pairs offered by fellow translators.

- Web site: Monika Coulson, Linda (LiMaBi) and Natalya Zelikova have all offered to design and program the web site. That's simply wonderful and we'll have to discuss in due course who will do what when we know what we need from a technical side of view. By the way, I personally don't like frames in a web site

- Keeping track of the discussion: I believe we will need several colleagues who keep track of the discussions and sum them up whenever there is someting to sum up. We already have several topics that are somehow related to each other and it would make sense to assign one person for each "bundle" of topics.

- Technical forum issues: as mentioned in the basic guidelines, I think we should consider creating sub-threads - either for topics to come or even retroactive for the existing forum.

Any volunteers on board?
Collapse

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:09
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
volunteer for keeping track of some discussions Dec 13, 2004

I could keep track of one "bundle" of topics and summarize the overall situation, past resolutions, continuing debates and ongoing work, etc. periodically. It doesn't really matter which "bundle" I'll keep track of, but a topic like "legal matters" is best tracked by people with more interest in this field - legal intricacies is not my cup of tea.

[Edited at 2004-12-13 14:38]

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
balaban: choose your bundle! Dec 13, 2004

Very happy to see you back here, Balaban! I perfectly understand that keeping track of the legal issues should be done by someone who has a faible for it. Why don't you just choose one or several related topics you would like to do? First come - first serve!

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
marion keeps track of naming and web site Dec 13, 2004

OK, unless someone else wants to keep track of these two topics - and for the time being - I will keep track of "naming" and "web site" and will sum them up whenever the need arises.

giogi
giogi
Local time: 19:09
Hi there! Dec 13, 2004

If possible I could manage to keep track of the "collecting material" matter.
Anybody wants to share this task with me?
Giovanna

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
I would like to help Dec 13, 2004

Giovanna Rampone, PhD wrote:

If possible I could manage to keep track of the "collecting material" matter.
Anybody wants to share this task with me?
Giovanna

Dear Giovanna,

I would like to help you on this.

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
me too. Coordination, collection, translation Dec 13, 2004

I could help also as a project coordinator. Contacting our translators, sending and receiving texts.

I may also have a good contact for some French local stuff. My aunt is a doctor in 2 Parisian children's hospitals. She also does children's research on rare genetic diseases affecting the kidneys.

Once we've decided what types of children's works we want, I can ask her if it would be possible to collect them.

And if needed, I can translate them into Englis
... See more
I could help also as a project coordinator. Contacting our translators, sending and receiving texts.

I may also have a good contact for some French local stuff. My aunt is a doctor in 2 Parisian children's hospitals. She also does children's research on rare genetic diseases affecting the kidneys.

Once we've decided what types of children's works we want, I can ask her if it would be possible to collect them.

And if needed, I can translate them into English, unless there's another French>English translator out there who'd really like to do it.
Collapse

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
"bundle" to be tracked: "Advertising the project: other means" Dec 14, 2004

I chose my bundle.

Apart from one message with very good ideas, this topic is not exactly bursting with messages right now. But as soon as we launch the web site, we can (and should) start asking promotional support from people everywhere. In fact, we would do good to develop a strategy in this field before that stage. We will have to use a variety of tools and some of them possibly will require time to be effective.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, we need a world wide
... See more
I chose my bundle.

Apart from one message with very good ideas, this topic is not exactly bursting with messages right now. But as soon as we launch the web site, we can (and should) start asking promotional support from people everywhere. In fact, we would do good to develop a strategy in this field before that stage. We will have to use a variety of tools and some of them possibly will require time to be effective.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, we need a world wide outreach not only to contact charities and potential volunteers initially but also to make the book known (and sold) in the final stage, don't we?

I'll contribute to the discussion there and I'll summarize resolutions, continuing debates and ongoing work, etc. periodically. I'm always open to sharing this task...
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Balaban keeps track of "Advertising the project: other means" Dec 14, 2004

Balaban Cerit wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, we need a world wide outreach not only to contact charities and potential volunteers initially but also to make the book known (and sold) in the final stage, don't we?

Thank you very much, Balaban! And you are absolutely right: We will need a truly world wide outreach in every respect of this project. That may sound difficult or even impossible to some of you, but believe me - it's not. I am more convinced than ever that we can do it.

Paula Dana Szabados
Paula Dana Szabados  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
I would like to keep track of "Bookstructure, content, volume" Dec 16, 2004

I would like to help with keeping track of this matter. This could also be shared in case somebody else is interested in it.

Beth Fagnant
Beth Fagnant  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would like to keep track of "Bookstructure, content, volume" Jan 3, 2005

I'd like to help out with this part and and SpanishEnglish translations.

Paula Dana Szabados wrote:

I would like to help with keeping track of this matter. This could also be shared in case somebody else is interested in it.

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Call for volunteers Jan 28, 2005

A lot of old and new offers for help and joining the project have come in, so we decided to give our own charity a try:

Please visit http://www.proz.com/post/199406#199406 to participate in the call for volunteers to found our own charity (end Sunday, January 30).

Hannah & Min
Hannah & Min
English to Korean
+ ...
answering for volunteer call Jan 30, 2005

Hi,

I am not sure what I can do right now. But I would like to help, too.
Maybe: asian language parts/marketing/design.
I am specialized in IT area(Internet/programming), publishing(design/editing),etc.

So let me know if any things come up.

Cheers,
Hannah

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Sharing the workload

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »