Charities
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:36
English to German
Dec 11, 2004

This will probably be one of the most controversial topics: which charities do we want to invite? And are there charities we don't want to participate? I know that some of you have made bad experiences with some of the huge charities. Let's discuss it here!

Here are some existing comments:

Sonya: I was just wondering whether we were aiming to target any particular children’s charities as there are so many (although it would be difficult to decide on the most needy),
... See more
This will probably be one of the most controversial topics: which charities do we want to invite? And are there charities we don't want to participate? I know that some of you have made bad experiences with some of the huge charities. Let's discuss it here!

Here are some existing comments:

Sonya: I was just wondering whether we were aiming to target any particular children’s charities as there are so many (although it would be difficult to decide on the most needy), or whether we are targeting them all and all those that want to participate can.

Balaban: I have already in mind some Turkish charities that we could approach with this project, but I need to work on a more detailed list. I suppose and hope we could access people in other countries over our future web page (maybe the web page is one of the first things we should do, before we start going to charities, what do you think? It would be fairly quick and easy to post some draft content, comment on these and finalize and use them on a web page). We also may come up with some other methods for seeking such charities in countries with no volunteers or contacts.

Note added: To avoid a conflict of interest with ProZ.com, we must maintain an apolitical character and must not discuss political or religious topics and charities related to them. We should therefore stick to children or educational charities. As long as the charities being discussed do not have political affiliations it is OK to use our judgment in this discussion. Thank you.

[Edited at 2004-12-19 07:11]
Collapse

Francina
Francina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
U.S. Charity navigator Dec 12, 2004

The following link is a U.S. Charity Navigator website that was recommended to me by a friend. I will peruse it and make suggestions based on it. Maybe there are others that would like to read it too, so that recommendation can be from a diverse viewpoint rather than just mine. http://www.charitynavigator.org/
Francina

[Edited at 2004-12-13 20:00]

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
many possibilites for finding / choosing charities Dec 12, 2004

This post also relates to my post at http://www.proz.com/post/190084#190084

One problem to finding the "right" charities is in identifying "trustworthy" charities. Once we have our web site running, many charities will apply (hopefully). We should find a way to screen them, for example by setting certain standards. I know that some kind of "seal of quality" exists. I'll have to look it
... See more
This post also relates to my post at http://www.proz.com/post/190084#190084

One problem to finding the "right" charities is in identifying "trustworthy" charities. Once we have our web site running, many charities will apply (hopefully). We should find a way to screen them, for example by setting certain standards. I know that some kind of "seal of quality" exists. I'll have to look it up.

We could approach this process the other way round and ask ourselves which charities we hold as trustworthy. In this context, "Band Aid" (with Bob Geldof) and "USA for Africa" immediately came to my mind.

The interesting thing about these two projects is that they, too, sold products all over the world and gave the money to children all over the world. I would be more than interested what the legal and organizational issues have been!
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
Doing it yourself Dec 13, 2004

I am a bit reluctant to concentrate so much on charities.

I would rather go by myself and collect the drawings, poems and writings. We are so many people from so many country´s I can´t see how we can not collect content.
Visit hospitals
orphanages
welfare places
If there is no possibility to visit we can contact them through letters, phone calls and so on. I see this as much more effective.
If we go and visit a poor country we give it
... See more
I am a bit reluctant to concentrate so much on charities.

I would rather go by myself and collect the drawings, poems and writings. We are so many people from so many country´s I can´t see how we can not collect content.
Visit hospitals
orphanages
welfare places
If there is no possibility to visit we can contact them through letters, phone calls and so on. I see this as much more effective.
If we go and visit a poor country we give it to the poor people directly instead going into an office and telling them that they should give it to the poor people.(Most of the time they like to keep a portion for themselves),which is sometimes justified,but why not keep the portion for the children

Charities with good intentions should be supported there is no doubt and I don´t mean to undermine them, but we are not doing this to support charities we are doing this to support the children. First hand!

Plus the special pleasure by being involved directly

Kind regards,
Andrea (I hope I did not upset anybody)
Collapse

giogi
giogi
Local time: 02:36
there is a problem... Dec 13, 2004

I'm a bit confuse about how to really target our project.
I mean, maybe we should choose in advance a practical target.
It would be great to help as many childern as we can, but how to manage?
My half-harted opinion is that if we concentrated on a couple (or maybe one) of projects already in progress we could do more.
Example: if whatever organisation is already carrying out a project, say to help an hospital in Afghanistan, we could join them and so avoid to waste time a
... See more
My half-harted opinion is that if we concentrated on a couple (or maybe one) of projects already in progress we could do more.
Example: if whatever organisation is already carrying out a project, say to help an hospital in Afghanistan, we could join them and so avoid to waste time and energy.
I know that it's difficult to choose one organisation and get rid of all the others.....
Another possibility could be inviting all the possible charities to our upcoming website, in order to join us but just in the form of sponsor. So it could be "XYZ Project" featuring UNICEF, Save the Children, Terres des Hommes.....But don't you think it would be more difficult and less efficient?
Please tell me what you think...
Giovanna
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
Answer Dec 14, 2004

Giovanna Rampone, PhD wrote:

Example: if whatever organisation is already carrying out a project, say to help an hospital in Afghanistan, we could join them and so avoid to waste time and energy.
I know that it's difficult to choose one organisation and get rid of all the others.....
Another possibility could be inviting all the possible charities to our upcoming website, in order to join us but just in the form of sponsor. So it could be "XYZ Project" featuring UNICEF, Save the Children, Terres des Hommes.....But don't you think it would be more difficult and less efficient?
Please tell me what you think...
Giovanna

Dear Giovanna,
I can see you mean it very well and want to help as many children as possible. To join something already in progress would in my opinion obliterate the "childrens book" project. Time doesn´t really matter I would think, the main thing is that we do carry it out.

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Joining a project or charities vs. doing it ourselves Dec 18, 2004

In order to know what legal steps need to be taken regarding a legal entity and regarding the content of our web site, we need to know how we plan to gather the writings and drawings of the children. Meaning: Do we want to approach big charities / join an existing project so that they carry on with our project? Or do we want to approach children in need directly, for example orphanages and hospitals?

The following pros and cons come to mind:

joining charities / exist
... See more
In order to know what legal steps need to be taken regarding a legal entity and regarding the content of our web site, we need to know how we plan to gather the writings and drawings of the children. Meaning: Do we want to approach big charities / join an existing project so that they carry on with our project? Or do we want to approach children in need directly, for example orphanages and hospitals?

The following pros and cons come to mind:

joining charities / existing project:

pros: We could benefit from their experience, expertise, contacts (that is, if they are willing to share their knowledge); it's possible that we can save a lot of work, time and (own) money; depending on the size of the charity, an international approach should be easy.

cons: I'm not sure whether it would be possible to cooperate with more than one charity as they may not like to cooperate with each other (I've seen such things over and over again); we will most probably loose control over the project (and I don't believe we should let that happen); I know from own experience that it can be more difficult than we think to get a cooperation started (on our terms); usually, part of the money goes to the overhead of charities themselves - and not to the children.

doing it ourselves:

pros: I don't mean to say that big charities already have enough money as the children they support still need a lot of help, but I think that there are many, many children with only minor help or no help whatsoever and we could make a difference for them; we could maintain control at all times; we would have the pleasure to work with the children directly; we could make sure there is no money "lost" and that all money goes to the children.

cons: We will probably all have to invest a sizeable amount of time.

Did I miss important arguments? What's your opinion?

[Edited at 2004-12-19 07:12]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Charities

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »