Advertising the project: other means
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:14
English to German
Dec 11, 2004

There may be many other ways to promote our project. This is the place to discuss it.

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
promotion Dec 14, 2004

We must all work for big(gish) clients. I am not saying they should all be asked to sponsor the project but I'm sure there must be people in those companies that could help.

For example, I edit a 5/6 language magazine/newsletter for a multinational company. These people have branches almost all over the world (lots of Asian countries included). They have agents and I have a worldwide mailing list. I'm pretty sure I could get some of those people to collect material for us, if we are
... See more
We must all work for big(gish) clients. I am not saying they should all be asked to sponsor the project but I'm sure there must be people in those companies that could help.

For example, I edit a 5/6 language magazine/newsletter for a multinational company. These people have branches almost all over the world (lots of Asian countries included). They have agents and I have a worldwide mailing list. I'm pretty sure I could get some of those people to collect material for us, if we are clear and precise about what we want.

I work with a printer. I may just be able to twist his arm to publish flyers or stickers for us (I will have to negotiate but it is not necessarily beyond the wit of man).

I also know quite a few agencies whose support (free, if nothing else) could be perhaps enlisted.

I might just also be able to drum up some minor sponsoring. I could even, as editor, publish a short article in one of my magazines (though I would have to be very careful because that might set an unfortunate precedent, leading others to want to do the same). I have given a leg up to charities in the past through articles on sponsorship and I can think of a few people who owe me a favour, etc.

I have good contacts with a couple of Chapters of a thing called the "Junior Chamber International" and perhaps I could ask for their support.

All these are just ideas. The first thing is to collect material. But I am sure there must be others out there who could also use their contacts along lines similar to the above.

What about it?
Chris
Collapse

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:14
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
good ideas Dec 18, 2004

Hello Chris, I am sure that volunteers working in different fields of the translators4kids project will greatly benefit from your suggestions.

As you say, the first thing is to collect material. Marion has secured the related URLs for the project. Now discussions on determining the approach to charities and the guidelines for the web site will begin, as well as deciding on legal matters. I think that many of your suggestions will prove to be immediately implementable during these di
... See more
Hello Chris, I am sure that volunteers working in different fields of the translators4kids project will greatly benefit from your suggestions.

As you say, the first thing is to collect material. Marion has secured the related URLs for the project. Now discussions on determining the approach to charities and the guidelines for the web site will begin, as well as deciding on legal matters. I think that many of your suggestions will prove to be immediately implementable during these discussions in their respective threads. (For instance, we will need to establish contacts with charities in various countries in which we have no volunteers right now - the related plan would benefit from integrating some approaches you mention.)

Surely others will start sharing their contacts and resources as the immediate and ultimate goals of the translators4kids project become more definite in the coming days.
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
I talked to a journalist friend... Dec 18, 2004

about our project and she promised to help when we needed. At least she could write for our project in her column, which could help us collect materials from children in our city.

[Edited at 2004-12-18 04:11]

[Edited at 2004-12-18 04:12]

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 08:14
English to German
+ ...
Website Dec 18, 2004

Would the website be our next step?

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
The next steps in the project Dec 18, 2004

As mentioned at http://www.proz.com/post/191280#191280, the next steps should be the following - and we will have to discuss them simultaneously, as they affect each other strongly:

a) 'charities' / children: Where do we want the writings and drawings to come from? What should the approach be? By the way, 'charities' doesn't necessarily mean huge charities, small welfare projects and
... See more
As mentioned at http://www.proz.com/post/191280#191280, the next steps should be the following - and we will have to discuss them simultaneously, as they affect each other strongly:

a) 'charities' / children: Where do we want the writings and drawings to come from? What should the approach be? By the way, 'charities' doesn't necessarily mean huge charities, small welfare projects and hospitals or orphanages do fall into this category, too.

b legal entity: Depending on our approach to a), what are the legal aspects of our project? Do we need a legal entity of our own, and if yes, what kind of?

c) web site: Only when we have agreed upon how to approach a) can we start creating content and design of the web site.

I will initiate discussions on the above topics today, Saturday 18.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Advertising the project: other means

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »