Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Name of project [chosen; discussion closed]
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:45
English to German
Dec 11, 2004

We definitely need a name for the project. It should be short and concise, should be understood or translatable in as many languages as possible, and it should say what this all about.

My own suggestion would simply be: Translators for kids or Translators4kids

Andrea di Marco suggested: children need our hand

Sonya: With regard to creating a name for us and the book itself, although it doesn�t state what we�re doing like the charities �Save the Childr
... See more
We definitely need a name for the project. It should be short and concise, should be understood or translatable in as many languages as possible, and it should say what this all about.

My own suggestion would simply be: Translators for kids or Translators4kids

Andrea di Marco suggested: children need our hand

Sonya: With regard to creating a name for us and the book itself, although it doesn�t state what we�re doing like the charities �Save the Children� or �Children in Need� I think the two simple words �The Children� say it all, they are what we are focusing on and they are who we will be featuring in the book and it will be clear if people talk of a new charity/organisation or whatever called �The Children�, that our aim is to help and support them.

Once we have agreed on a name, we should secure a domain name for it.

It's possible that this project goes very far, so maybe we should consider securing the name as a trademark as well. I have a very experienced naming partner who could help with the technical / legal stuff. The money side is something altogether, though�.

[Edited at 2004-12-11 16:35]

[Edited at 2004-12-17 07:20]
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 01:45
English to German
+ ...
Name for project Dec 11, 2004

I like the name you chose as it says who we are and what we stand for.

"Translators4kids" very distinct too.

Regards,
Andrea

Francina
Francina  Identity Verified
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
Name for Project Dec 12, 2004

I like the name "Translators4kids". I was thinking of the name "Calico Kids" (calico adj 1: made of calico or resembling calico in being patterned; "calico dresses"; having sections or patches colored differently and usually brightly;).

I agree that the name should be registered and secured as a trade name as this may become an ongoing project.
Francina

[Edited at 2004-12-14 20:37]

LindaMcM
LindaMcM  Identity Verified
Swedish to German
+ ...
... Dec 12, 2004

My first thought was "translators for children", too

Maybe it could be shorten to "Trans4Kids", when needed...

Linda

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
We talked about this in another thread... Dec 13, 2004

http://www.proz.com/topic/27486

While having a chocolate buzz, I was feeling a little silly and suggested
"Kids in Tongues"!

Some of you even liked it.

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
calling for votes and/or more suggestions Dec 14, 2004

So far, we have the following naming suggestions:

1) translators for kids
2) translators4kids (shortened: trans4kids)
3) children need our hand
4) the children
5) calico kids
6) kids in tongues
7) all children's tongues
8) the tongues of babes

What we need now are either more suggestions (if you don't like any of the above) or a voting on the existing ones (maybe we should bear in mind that the name should be easy and short enou
... See more
So far, we have the following naming suggestions:

1) translators for kids
2) translators4kids (shortened: trans4kids)
3) children need our hand
4) the children
5) calico kids
6) kids in tongues
7) all children's tongues
8) the tongues of babes

What we need now are either more suggestions (if you don't like any of the above) or a voting on the existing ones (maybe we should bear in mind that the name should be easy and short enough for a pracitcal URL, too).

I was also thinking about putting a deadline for this process, but I am not sure if this would be a sensible thing. Maybe Thursday December 16? Any comments?
Collapse

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
ideas for names Dec 14, 2004

What about something based "out of the mouths of babes and children"?
Childspeak
Babespeak

I am vaguely against things with "translation" in them because the translating is not the point. It is who is talking and the content that counts.

A word for all

All in a day's word

Sonya Mountford-Jones
Sonya Mountford-Jones  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:45
French to English
+ ...
More possible names Dec 14, 2004

This is quite difficult isn't it!

I had initially thought of:
KidSpeak,
KidsTalk or
Kids Communicate
but there are quite a lot of references to these on the net already so I don't if we could really use these.
Are we looking for something really original??

ChildWord seems quite rare and is almost sounds like Children (I know I'm clutching at straws here!!) and we could also talk of finding out more about the ChildWorld they live in.
<
... See more
This is quite difficult isn't it!

I had initially thought of:
KidSpeak,
KidsTalk or
Kids Communicate
but there are quite a lot of references to these on the net already so I don't if we could really use these.
Are we looking for something really original??

ChildWord seems quite rare and is almost sounds like Children (I know I'm clutching at straws here!!) and we could also talk of finding out more about the ChildWorld they live in.

Just a few more ideas

What the Children Say
Listening to the Children

Sonya
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
Project name or name of book? Dec 14, 2004

I guess we are talking about the name of the project rather than the name of the book right?

I think that we should identify us with the project somehow. I mean this is something we can be proud of once it is finished.

The name of the book is a different story (-;

Cheers
Andrea

I just thought about another thing. If we would like to implement the project name into our website than I think it would be more beneficial if the name w
... See more
I guess we are talking about the name of the project rather than the name of the book right?

I think that we should identify us with the project somehow. I mean this is something we can be proud of once it is finished.

The name of the book is a different story (-;

Cheers
Andrea

I just thought about another thing. If we would like to implement the project name into our website than I think it would be more beneficial if the name would be something with " translators".
People who check out our websites are interested in translations and I believe that they rather click on the link translators4kids instead of children need our hands as it was not in there intention to look for something like that. I just believe we would get more clicks towards "our childrens website" as this would be more of a keyword.

[Edited at 2004-12-14 17:55]
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
advocating the simple, straightforward and international Dec 14, 2004

When we will decide on the name for the project - I think this Thursday (Dec. 16) evening time in Europe is a good time - we should take into account the following:

- the name should be straightforward and easy: easy to understand, easy to pronounce ('USA for Africa' might not be very creative, for example, but it served the purpose very well)

- for the sake of convenience and to be fit for the international market, it should be in (plain) English

- if poss
... See more
When we will decide on the name for the project - I think this Thursday (Dec. 16) evening time in Europe is a good time - we should take into account the following:

- the name should be straightforward and easy: easy to understand, easy to pronounce ('USA for Africa' might not be very creative, for example, but it served the purpose very well)

- for the sake of convenience and to be fit for the international market, it should be in (plain) English

- if possible at all, it should be translatable in many languages, thus any kind of idiom is probably not so good

- it should say what this project is about (no need to be shy about our profession, I believe)

By the way, I like Natalia's idea of a tagline very much. A tagline could be very useful to further explain the project, especially in very 'foreign' countries, and it could be used on the book, on promotional material, and ultimately even develop into a claim... (discussion to be continued when name is settled).
Collapse

Francina
Francina  Identity Verified
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
I vote for "Translators4kids" Dec 14, 2004

I'm sorry, but I can’t be present on Thursday to vote on the name. Please enter my vote for "Translators4kids". I think it is the most precise, direct, self-explanatory name for the project. A tagline will definitely further enhance it.

Francina

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:45
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The name should be focused on the children Dec 14, 2004

Francina wrote:
I think it is the most precise, direct, self-explanatory name for the project. A tagline will definitely further enhance it.

Francina

I agree that Translators4Kids is a self-explanatory name. And it sounds wonderful! However, I am affraid that this name puts us (the translators) on the main focus. Of course, we, translators are the ones who are doing the project, but the project is for the kids. They should be the main focus, not us. We should be a tool to make this project happen and not put ourselves on the spot. However, this is just my opinion, please correct me if you think differently.

Monika

p.s. Sorry, I think I missunderstood it. I was talking about the name of the book and not the name of the project. As far as the name of the project, I think Translators4Kids is really good.

[Edited at 2004-12-14 21:44]

Alexander Demyanov
Alexander Demyanov
English
+ ...
May be not "babes" Dec 14, 2004

Aren't the book going to be based on texts and drawinghs by the children?

Babes/babies don't sound old enough for that.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:45
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Babe - definition Dec 14, 2004

1. A baby; an infant.
2. An innocent or naive person.

But, if this name brings misunderstanding, then strike it

Monika

Alexander Demyanov wrote:

Aren't the book going to be based on texts and drawinghs by the children?

Babes/babies don't sound old enough for that.

[Edited at 2004-12-14 21:47]

Alexander Demyanov
Alexander Demyanov
English
+ ...
For the children and, in no small measure - by the children Dec 14, 2004

Monika Coulson wrote:

However, I am affraid that this name puts us (the translators) on the main focus. Of course, we, translators are the ones who are doing the project, but the project is for the kids. They should be the main focus, not us. We should be a tool to make this project happen and not put ourselves on the spot.
Monika

I agree completely. The name shall underscore not only that it's for the benefit of the kids, but also that the project will be based on kids' own materials.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Name of project [chosen; discussion closed]

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »