2. An innocent or naive person.

elzosim
elzosim  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:03
English to Greek
+ ...
Babies and a legal point Dec 15, 2004

I have two different things to say:

First, I cannot agree less with the previous posts opposing to the use of the word "babe".
The one thing about "babe" is its connotations (naive etc.).
Also, "Babes" may not be functional when it comes to translation.
English distinguishes between babe and baby, but other languages do not -please correct me if i'm wrong here.

Just expressing my opinion before reaching a final decision.

The other thing I
... See more
I have two different things to say:

First, I cannot agree less with the previous posts opposing to the use of the word "babe".
The one thing about "babe" is its connotations (naive etc.).
Also, "Babes" may not be functional when it comes to translation.
English distinguishes between babe and baby, but other languages do not -please correct me if i'm wrong here.

Just expressing my opinion before reaching a final decision.

The other thing I would like to discuss is a legal matter.
Perhaps I should have posted this idea at the legal thread, but my thoughts concern the project name only.
I have no experience in legal matters, but I wondered whether we should check before coming to a decision whether similar or even identical names already exist. This mostly applies to cases such as "children nees our hand" rather than "translators for kids".

My two cents

Eleftheria
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:03
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
voting: for name of whole project only - not for book! Dec 15, 2004

From reading several posts, I think I should make clear that we are currently only searching for the name of the whole project, our "own charity" if you like. This name will be used for the URL (domain name) of our web site, for example.

We are not looking for a name for the book at this time. I completely agree that the book should have a different title and we will discuss this in one of the next steps.

Please (re)consider this when expressing your opinion / wh
... See more
From reading several posts, I think I should make clear that we are currently only searching for the name of the whole project, our "own charity" if you like. This name will be used for the URL (domain name) of our web site, for example.

We are not looking for a name for the book at this time. I completely agree that the book should have a different title and we will discuss this in one of the next steps.

Please (re)consider this when expressing your opinion / when voting. Thank you.
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
no real-time voting required Dec 15, 2004

If you want to let us know which name (for the project - not the book) you like best, you can of course do that any time until tomorrow evening Europe time.

There will be no real-time voting - simply make a post here until tomorrow evening.

Behnam Koleili
Behnam Koleili  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 19:33
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Avoiding being misunderstood Dec 15, 2004

I like the idea to have our profession as part of the project name, and of course it goes without saying children or kids are indespensible part! As we all know there are many groups helping children so we need a distinct name.Thinking about "translators for kids", I googled and found out it can be easily mistaken with electronic translators for kids!! So I believe it is not a good choice. As for "translators4kids" although it is distinct in written form, when heard it can be misunderstood in th... See more
I like the idea to have our profession as part of the project name, and of course it goes without saying children or kids are indespensible part! As we all know there are many groups helping children so we need a distinct name.Thinking about "translators for kids", I googled and found out it can be easily mistaken with electronic translators for kids!! So I believe it is not a good choice. As for "translators4kids" although it is distinct in written form, when heard it can be misunderstood in the same way. I was thinking of "translators helping kids", "translators to help kids", or "translators2helpkids". I completely understand that we need a unique,to the point and easy to utter name for our project. Meanwhile I admit the name has to be as short as possible to serve practically as the domain name too. That's why everybody is so choosy about it!Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
internet search of names and domain availabiltiy Dec 15, 2004

I have done a search on Google to see what comes up when entering some of the names that have been suggested, thus trying to find out if this name is already being used, and how. I also checked if the respective .com, .net and .org domains are available:

thechildren / thechildrensproject: millions of entries of course, domains not available

calicokids: hundreds of entries, .com and ,net domain not available, only .org

childspeak: hundre
... See more
I have done a search on Google to see what comes up when entering some of the names that have been suggested, thus trying to find out if this name is already being used, and how. I also checked if the respective .com, .net and .org domains are available:

thechildren / thechildrensproject: millions of entries of course, domains not available

calicokids: hundreds of entries, .com and ,net domain not available, only .org

childspeak: hundreds of entries, domains not available

kidspeak: tens of thousands of entries, domains not available

kidstalk: tens of thousands of entries, domains not available

childword: around 130 entries, domains available

translators4kids: no entries whatsoever, all domains available

translatorsforkids: only 3 entries (for dictionaries), all domains available

childrenneedourhand: only 1 entry, all domains available

whatthechildrensay: more than 800 entries, domains available

listeningtothechildren: close to 5000 entries, domains available

I haven't done a search for names containing "tongue" or "babe" because, as some of you already mentioned, these won't work internationally.

[Edited at 2004-12-15 13:04]
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 12:03
English to German
+ ...
keywords Dec 15, 2004

Behnam Koleili wrote:

I like the idea to have our profession as part of the project name, and of course it goes without saying children or kids are indespensible part! As we all know there are many groups helping children so we need a distinct name.Thinking about "translators for kids", I googled and found out it can be easily mistaken with electronic translators for kids!! So I believe it is not a good choice. As for "translators4kids" although it is distinct in written form, when heard it can be misunderstood in the same way. I was thinking of "translators helping kids", "translators to help kids", or "translators2helpkids". I completely understand that we need a unique,to the point and easy to utter name for our project. Meanwhile I admit the name has to be as short as possible to serve practically as the domain name too. That's why everybody is so choosy about it!

Dear Behnam,

I agree with you in that point that we should include our profession in our domain name but we also have to take in count the length of name like you already mentioned.
The Internet data is so large that any name will automatically derive into a different branch of something else which could also work as an advantage for us. There are certain tools out there.
Just try to write one word in and you will see all the associated keywords it is quite interesting (I think)

(-: Andrea

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

drmab
drmab
English to French
Babelers Dec 15, 2004

What do you think of "Babelers" (a mix between Babel and babblers".

(This reminds me of a dialectic French word for infants who are beginning to talk: "bablute").

Marc

Blithe
Blithe
Russian
+ ...
I vote for translators4kids Dec 15, 2004

1) it is unique (even though it sounds like Translators for kids, it is not really an issue for a web-site)
2) it is simple
3) it reflects the essence of the project
4) it can be easily translated into other languages

Alexander Demyanov
Alexander Demyanov
English
+ ...
Are they? Dec 15, 2004

drmab wrote:

What do you think of "Babelers" (a mix between Babel and babblers".

(This reminds me of a dialectic French word for infants who are beginning to talk: "bablute").

Marc

If my impression from Marion's introductory post that these children draw and write, is correct then they are not just beginning to talk. Perhaps at least some of the children will be able to see the book and access the web site. Preschoolers may feel offended when they are called "babes", "babies", etc.

Paula Dana Szabados
Paula Dana Szabados  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:03
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
I also vote for "translators4kids" as a project name Dec 16, 2004

It is short and very easy to understand, anyway the name of the book should have a different name.

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
Voting project name Dec 16, 2004

I am voting for translators4kids

>good name to ad to your webpage as it is translating orientet
people are more likly to click on keywords. Usually
people look for translating relatet stuff when coming to your
site rather than being confrontet with something they did not
had in mind...which gives us as a result more visitors to our
project webpage for the children.

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:03
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
vote for project name Dec 16, 2004

Among many interesting alternatives, I think the best one (according to being straightforward and easy, easy to understand, easy to pronounce, etc.) is:

translators for kids (or translators4kids)

It also best describes what this project is about.

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Translators4kids Dec 16, 2004

Another vote in favor of project name.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Translators4kids Dec 16, 2004

I vote for this name as well (as a project name).

Monika

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Name of project [chosen; discussion closed]

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »