Timing: priorities / schedules
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:04
English to German
Dec 11, 2004

As mentioned in my preliminary strategy, I believe we should not rush this whole thing. For example, we will definitely not be able to have the book ready for the Christmas sale this year. There is simply no way we could do that. It will most probably take months to complete the project.

What should be done first? Which are our priorities?

In my opinion, our next steps should be:

Find a name for the project
Secure the domain name
Create the web
... See more
As mentioned in my preliminary strategy, I believe we should not rush this whole thing. For example, we will definitely not be able to have the book ready for the Christmas sale this year. There is simply no way we could do that. It will most probably take months to complete the project.

What should be done first? Which are our priorities?

Secure the domain name
Create the web site (multi-language content)

Some of you have suggested initial steps like contacting charities or radio stations. Again, in my humble opinion, this is too early. We will definitely need something written and / or a web site before we contact anyone.
Collapse

Blithe
Blithe
Local time: 08:04
Russian
+ ...
Web-site Dec 11, 2004

I agree that creating a web-site should be the first priority. And yes, it will take months to complete the project. So why don't we take one day at a time and start with the web-site? The more languages it will have, the better.

Francina
Francina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with first three steps to be taken Dec 12, 2004

Hi Marion,
I agree that the next three steps outlined above are the first ones to be taken. I also think that taking it slowly and in logic fashion is going to bring success to this project. Having the book published next Christmas is in my opinion an excellent timeline.
Francina

[Edited at 2004-12-12 16:09]

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:04
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Agree with first three steps Dec 12, 2004

Yes, completion of the project will most probably take several months, if not more. Finding a name and securing the domain name are the logical first steps.

Then we can work on the web site - in fact there is nothing preventing us from starting to work on the draft content right now. The initial text used in the web site can be modified later, as details concerning the content book become more clear (and as possible guidelines are defined).

The multilingual content of
... See more
Yes, completion of the project will most probably take several months, if not more. Finding a name and securing the domain name are the logical first steps.

Then we can work on the web site - in fact there is nothing preventing us from starting to work on the draft content right now. The initial text used in the web site can be modified later, as details concerning the content book become more clear (and as possible guidelines are defined).

The multilingual content of the web site will make it easier for us to establish new contacts in other countries. New volunteers (as well as other interested parties) will contact us via the web site.
Collapse

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Agree with strategy steps plus a few more Dec 12, 2004

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

Secure the domain name

Creating a web presence will give us credibility with any possible future contacts.
My two cents:

1. Project name
2. Domain name and website
3. Coordinate volunteer workers
4. Establish legal presence
5. Make contacts for collecting material
6. Make contacts for funding
7. Start project
8. Make contacts for publishing and distribution

I also was thinking about a clear name like 'Translators for children' and taglines like 'World translators for a world of children', 'A world of translators for the world's children', or something wacky like 'Kids in Tongues'. Wow, it's amazing the stuff you think of after eating too much chocolate.

Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:04
English to Latvian
+ ...
agree to point 4 Dec 12, 2004

N.M. Eklund wrote:

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

Secure the domain name

Creating a web presence will give us credibility with any possible future contacts.
My two cents:

1. Project name
2. Domain name and website
3. Coordinate volunteer workers
4. Establish legal presence
5. Make contacts for collecting material
6. Make contacts for funding
7. Start project
8. Make contacts for publishing and distribution

I also was thinking about a clear name like 'Translators for children' and taglines like 'World translators for a world of children', 'A world of translators for the world's children', or something wacky like 'Kids in Tongues'. Wow, it's amazing the stuff you think of after eating too much chocolate.

I definitely agree about the legal presence - I think this whole thing should be somehow registered to make people consider us trustworthy - e.g. in Latvia many would consider a net project to be not quite so serious. I think we need to have an image that would not cause any doubts...

Sorry, just saw the "legal matters" section and realized this issue is already being discussed.

[Edited at 2004-12-12 22:57]

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Great ideas N.M. Dec 13, 2004

Excellent ideas N.M. Eklund. What kind of chocolate are you eating? Please, please, tell me

Some other ideas to elaborate on: "All children's tongues" or "The tongues of babes"...

That's it for now, back to chocolate

Monika

N.M. Eklund wrote:

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
agreement reached that first step should be "naming the project" Dec 14, 2004

It seems that we have reached an agreement on the first steps: creating a name, securing the domain name, creating the web site.

Since the two latter require the first, I suggest that we concentrate on the naming process for the time being: http://www.proz.com/topic/27488

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Timing: priorities / schedules

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »