Maria Rigli
Maria Rigli  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:14
Member (2013)
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 9, 2018

Which books do you consider the most reliable/useful for someone who is proofreading/editing texts in English?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
account book Apr 9, 2018

There're too many (including at Amazon.com), yet translator is to consider clients' style-guides and preferences while learning to be even more educated, attentive, understanding, flexible, clear, and so on.

I enjoyed reading http://www.writersandeditors.com/for_editors_57430.htm

Depending on your needs and skills, an experienced colleague-proofreader (or s
... See more
There're too many (including at Amazon.com), yet translator is to consider clients' style-guides and preferences while learning to be even more educated, attentive, understanding, flexible, clear, and so on.

I enjoyed reading http://www.writersandeditors.com/for_editors_57430.htm

Depending on your needs and skills, an experienced colleague-proofreader (or several!) in the fields would be really helpful, but nowadays even mere 'translation' often goes beyond localization--to rewriting, ghostwriting, or copy-writing and on.

Indeed, not everything is written in the paper.

[Edited at 2018-04-09 11:02 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Revising and Editing for Translators Apr 9, 2018

If we're talking about translated texts, then I would recommend "Revising and Editing for Translators" by Brian Mossop. Also valuable for self-revision.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:14
German to English
+ ...
Would country matter in this question? Apr 12, 2018

For example, English in the UK, in the US, in Canada, in Australia and NZ, etc. I don't know if different governments and organizations might not have their own conventions as well.

Min Kyu Kim
Min Kyu Kim
United States
Local time: 13:14
Mix of Student Grammars Jul 16, 2018

For copyediting & Proofreading, student grammars can be the right mix of information and readability. Check out:

The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage
The Little, Brown Handbook
A Practical English Grammar

Stephanie Warren (X)
Stephanie Warren (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:14
English to French
+ ...
SfEP Aug 23, 2018

The SfEP (Society for Editors and Proofreaders) is more or less the place to go to qualify and train in proofreading and editing.
Book-wise, I have the Oxford Style Manual very useful and the Cambridge Grammar/Vocabulary/Idioms in use books are very good.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

proofreading/editing texts in English

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »