Ramesh Kulandaivel
Ramesh Kulandaivel
India
Local time: 19:08
English to Tamil
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 26, 2020

Each and every client has his / her own formats. Every time they want the translators to fill all those form. They need a special NDA or some special Translator information format to be filled for every project. Many of them are industry specific like life science, technical, engineering, legal etc., I had provided sufficient data from my side for a life science company, now they want everything to be filled out in their own format. For the time consumed, the client is not going to pay a single... See more
Each and every client has his / her own formats. Every time they want the translators to fill all those form. They need a special NDA or some special Translator information format to be filled for every project. Many of them are industry specific like life science, technical, engineering, legal etc., I had provided sufficient data from my side for a life science company, now they want everything to be filled out in their own format. For the time consumed, the client is not going to pay a single penny. I really don't understand why this create such crap formats and ask translators to fill them each and every time. Most people take NDAs and then they won't return back to us at all. There should be some solution for this.Collapse

Pilla Venkateswara Rao (X)
Vladimir Morozov

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 14:38
English to Polish
+ ...
Well... Aug 27, 2020

NDAs and other forms are not the worst.

The worst is when you get a very short text, like 300-400 words, and 200 pages of reference files for that. "Dear Translator, please find the proper phrases in our reference files"...

Cheers
K.

Veronica Montserrat
expressisverbis
Lidija Klemencic
Ramesh Kulandaivel

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
German to English
+ ...
Dunno Aug 30, 2020

I think the last time I filled out a form, was years ago, and I may have filled out a handful of firms over 25 or so years. Those 3 or 4 companies where I did fill out forms did not pan out as good customers, or customers at all. So in general, I don't fill out forms.

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:38
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Forms Aug 31, 2020

I was recently contacted by an agency in Rome, asking me if I would be willing to do a translation test. I did it and they said it was excellent, and would I please read, complete, and sign the attached documents. These were:

1. A 3-page confidentiality agreement, consisting of 12 clauses including severe penalty clauses.
2. An Excel file in which I was supposed to enter approximately 40 items of personal information.
3. A 2.page "General Conditions" document in very sma
... See more
I was recently contacted by an agency in Rome, asking me if I would be willing to do a translation test. I did it and they said it was excellent, and would I please read, complete, and sign the attached documents. These were:

1. A 3-page confidentiality agreement, consisting of 12 clauses including severe penalty clauses.
2. An Excel file in which I was supposed to enter approximately 40 items of personal information.
3. A 2.page "General Conditions" document in very small print, full of legal traps for the unwary.
4. A 2-page GDPR document consisting of 15 clauses.
5. A 4-page supplementary document about confidentiality.

Merely reading these documents, and fully understanding their implications, would take me hours. I very politely told the agency that since they liked my test translation they could simply send me work, and that our email correspondence would de facto constitute a contract.

In my experience, the more documentation an agency asks you to sign, the less likely it is that they will ever give you any work.
Collapse

Ricardo Sandy Aries
Elena Feriani

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators need to waste most time on filling out forms

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »