Thread poster: Rebecca Davis
Rebecca Davis
Rebecca Davis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:57
French to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2017

I went to upload my invoice on the portal of an agency for which I work on an occasional basis, and found that I cannot upload my invoice for work done throughout November unless I sign their new SLA, which they brought to my attention yesterday. The new SLA is incomprehensible in parts, and I'm not sure that it even applies to me. Needless to say, no contact number was provided to discuss this issue with the agency. Am I right in thinking that forcing someone to sign a new SLA, with no option n... See more
I went to upload my invoice on the portal of an agency for which I work on an occasional basis, and found that I cannot upload my invoice for work done throughout November unless I sign their new SLA, which they brought to my attention yesterday. The new SLA is incomprehensible in parts, and I'm not sure that it even applies to me. Needless to say, no contact number was provided to discuss this issue with the agency. Am I right in thinking that forcing someone to sign a new SLA, with no option not to sign it, in order to bill for work performed under the terms of the previous SLA is certainly not good business practice, and possibly illegal?Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Correct Dec 1, 2017

Rebecca Davis wrote:
Am I right in thinking that forcing someone to sign a new SLA, with no option not to sign it, in order to bill for work performed under the terms of the previous SLA is certainly not good business practice, and possibly illegal?

It's a new contract. It doesn't apply until you sign it. Only the existing contract can be enforced. If they refuse to pay, start a small claims proceeding against them. Are they based in the UK?

Dan

Rebecca Davis
Rebecca Davis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payment Dec 1, 2017

I'm sure they will pay... It's just the practice that baffles me...Surely signing a new SLA has nothing to do with being able to upload an invoice for work that pre-dates it. Also, surely there should be an option not to sign it, and to explain why.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Pointless friction Dec 1, 2017

Rebecca Davis wrote:
It's just the practice that baffles me...

It baffles me too. Why needlessly antagonise the people on whom your business depends? Plenty of poorly managed agencies out there.

Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency's new SLA

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »