US taxing or local taxing (Argentina freelance)
Thread poster: Lara Garau
Lara Garau
Lara Garau  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:09
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 31, 2019

Hello, fellow translators.

I'm here because I need help. A company with which I'm signing a freelancer contract sent me W-8BEN form for tax purposes. However, I don't live in a country member of the US tax treaty and I feel I should be filling a different form. Local accountants couldn't tell me which form it is, but I'm pretty sure this one isn't because in the third section it reads:

"The person listed in line 1 -that'd be my name- of this form is a resident o
... See more
Hello, fellow translators.

I'm here because I need help. A company with which I'm signing a freelancer contract sent me W-8BEN form for tax purposes. However, I don't live in a country member of the US tax treaty and I feel I should be filling a different form. Local accountants couldn't tell me which form it is, but I'm pretty sure this one isn't because in the third section it reads:

"The person listed in line 1 -that'd be my name- of this form is a resident of the treaty country listed on line 9 -my country, Argentina- (if any) with the meaning of income tax between the United States and that country and for broker transactions or barter exchange, the beneficial owner is an exempt foreign person as defined in the instructions":

Can anyone tell me whether this is the right taxing form I should be signing if my country is not a member of this treaty? I have a freelancer agreement with another US company and they never had me sign anything like this.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:09
German to English
W8-BEN for non-residents Feb 1, 2019

US agencies send these out to non-residents so that during an audit they can certify that they did not have to send you a 1099 form for income tax reporting purposes. In fact, the agency may possibly refuse to pay you in the future if you don't sign the form. It doesn't matter whether Argentina has a tax treaty with the US. You are not liable for US tax if you are a permanent resident of Argentina and do not report income to the IRS. The form is for their own compliance purposes.

Sheila Wilson

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

US taxing or local taxing (Argentina freelance)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »