Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 17:39
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 16, 2016

Hi guys,

I've been wondering if anyone here, who is ATA certified, ever failed to get their required 20 CE points. The ATA website is very vague as to what happens when you do and what it takes to get your certification back. Do you have to resit the exam? Pay a fine?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Aug 16, 2016

The CE points are relatively easy to achieve. 20 hours of training every three years should be easy to gather. I have been certified since 2008 and have always managed to make the points (over the last years, with a degree I am taking at university). My understanding of the process is that they cancel your certification, which would mean that you would have to resit the exam.

You might want to email ATA's certification officer (the address should be easy to find in the website) and
... See more
The CE points are relatively easy to achieve. 20 hours of training every three years should be easy to gather. I have been certified since 2008 and have always managed to make the points (over the last years, with a degree I am taking at university). My understanding of the process is that they cancel your certification, which would mean that you would have to resit the exam.

You might want to email ATA's certification officer (the address should be easy to find in the website) and ask him. Do let us know what they say!
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
What does "CE point" mean? Aug 16, 2016

(She says while emerging blinking from under a rock.)

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Certification "suspended" until you send in the points Aug 16, 2016

You don't have to re-sit the exam.
Assuming that you didn't let your actual ATA membership lapse as well, they would just remove your "certified" notation from the listing of certified translators (in the ATA directory, e.g.), until you submit proof of your completed CE points.
This (kind of) happened to me very briefly - I actually had all the points from attending ATA conferences, but there some confusion as to the d
... See more
You don't have to re-sit the exam.
Assuming that you didn't let your actual ATA membership lapse as well, they would just remove your "certified" notation from the listing of certified translators (in the ATA directory, e.g.), until you submit proof of your completed CE points.
This (kind of) happened to me very briefly - I actually had all the points from attending ATA conferences, but there some confusion as to the date in the calendar year by when I had to get the form in (they told us three years, but didn't specify whether it was three years from the membership anniversary date, three years from the certification exam pass date, or something else). Now the actual date by which you need to send in the points is stated in the Members section of the website.
I was more than a little annoyed that they didn't send me a warning or reminder beforehand, but fortunately it got resolved fairly quickly.
YMMV if you don't submit the points for an extended period (like several years)
Like Thomas said, it's pretty easy to get points - ProZ virtual conferences, ordering the ATA conference CD-ROM and writing up a brief summary of some sessions as "independent study", etc.
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@ Maxi: CE="Continuing Education" Aug 18, 2016

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

(She says while emerging blinking from under a rock.)

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ATA Certification - CE points

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »