Why did they want foreign driver licenses translated?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:55
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 17, 2015

In the last couple of years I have translated more than 100 Chinese driver licenses into English. Do you have any idea why they need the English version of their driver license? Just curious.

[Edited at 2015-09-17 00:33 GMT]

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 14:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
one possibility.. Sep 17, 2015

From the terms and conditions of a car rental company:

Driving license printed with non Roman Alphabet (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Cyrillic etc) must be complemented by an International driving licence.
For driving licenses from countries not part of the international driving license treaty, an official translation of the license must be presented with the original license.

Not sure if China is part of an international driving license trea
... See more
From the terms and conditions of a car rental company:

Driving license printed with non Roman Alphabet (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Cyrillic etc) must be complemented by an International driving licence.
For driving licenses from countries not part of the international driving license treaty, an official translation of the license must be presented with the original license.

Not sure if China is part of an international driving license treaty...but the trend you mention might be related to something along these lines.
Collapse

OlivierParrot
OlivierParrot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:55
Member (2012)
Japanese to French
+ ...
In Japan... Sep 17, 2015

... visitors from many countries can drive, all they need is a Japanese translation of their driver's license.
Maybe there's something similar in the US?

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:55
German to English
In Germany ... Sep 17, 2015

I had to have my US driver's license translated in order to exchange it for a German one (I'm a permanent resident here). So whether it's a car rental agency or the DMV, an untranslated license (particularly in Chinese) isn't going to be much use to them.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Why did they want foreign driver licenses translated?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »