Thread poster: Hayley Haupt
Hayley Haupt
Hayley Haupt
United States
Local time: 07:35
German to English
Feb 19, 2013

Hi everyone!

I apologize in advance if this question has already been addressed in this forum. A friend of mine needs an official English translation of her German medical school and residency records by an American translator/translation service. She already has an official translation from a German translator, but, according to the medical board in Massachusetts, this isn't enough.

Would it be best to go through a certified online translation service based in the US
... See more
Hi everyone!

I apologize in advance if this question has already been addressed in this forum. A friend of mine needs an official English translation of her German medical school and residency records by an American translator/translation service. She already has an official translation from a German translator, but, according to the medical board in Massachusetts, this isn't enough.

Would it be best to go through a certified online translation service based in the US or do any of you offer notarized translations of this sort?

I found this article but am still not sure what kind of translation service would be best:

http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/27319-question_about_certification.html#188483

Thank you!
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:35
German to English
Need to contact the medical board directly Feb 19, 2013

Several years ago, my daughter, a graduate of an English-speaking university in Canada, was applying for graduate school in the US. Since she had a degree from a foreign university, she needed an "official certification" of her (English-language) transcript. Such certification/translation could only be provided by a specific agency that assessed/translated foreign transcripts. (stupid, I know) As I recall, it was quite expensive. The assessment indicated whether the coursework was equivalent to ... See more
Several years ago, my daughter, a graduate of an English-speaking university in Canada, was applying for graduate school in the US. Since she had a degree from a foreign university, she needed an "official certification" of her (English-language) transcript. Such certification/translation could only be provided by a specific agency that assessed/translated foreign transcripts. (stupid, I know) As I recall, it was quite expensive. The assessment indicated whether the coursework was equivalent to that found in the curriculum of an American university. This is probably the type of "translation/certification" the medical board requires.

Your friend needs to get specific information from the medical certification board regarding the type of documentation they require. It is certainly possible that the transcript may need to be processed by an agency similar to the one used by my daughter.
Please contact me privately and I can provide names of agencies that provide this service.

[Edited at 2013-02-19 13:39 GMT]
Collapse

Nathaniel2
Nathaniel2
Slovak to English
embassy Feb 19, 2013

We went through the embassy in Washington (not the German embassy but I suspect they also have this service) - they supplied a list of official translators recognised by US institutions so we didn't pay lots of money for a translation that wouldn't be recognised later.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Lingual Institute in Philadelphia Feb 19, 2013

I received over 50 transcripts to translate from Romanian into US EN (medical school) and they were all accepted.
Only once I dealt with a customer and the college required that the translator must be on the approved list of judicial interpreters (!!!!) for the Consortium. Fortunately I am.

Best,
Lee

Hayley Haupt
Hayley Haupt
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 21, 2013

Thank you everyone for your responses! I've passed the information onto my friend, who is now contacting the medical board to double check their requirements.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Believe it or not, but some universities -- if the transcript is intended for transfer or another Feb 21, 2013

degree require that it be translated by a university that has a similar program, or a translation agency closely working with the university, or an agency they approve of. For other purposes, any good agency can do it and certify it -- attach a sworn certificate of accuracy. It is not that inexpensive -- usually more on the expensive side, not terrible though.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Where to get an official translation of an academic transcript in US

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »