Canadian translators registered for GST/HST/PST - advice wanted!
Thread poster: Frances Nichol
Frances Nichol
Frances Nichol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
Apr 5, 2017

Hi there,

I'm a newcomer to Canada and also freelance here, based in Ontario. I've now reached the threshold for registering for HST/GST, I just wanted to check my understanding with other translators, because I feel like translating is quite a specific case, since its a service and income comes from all over the place and in different currencies.

Background: Most customers are abroad, and I receive money in different currencies. But some clients in different province
... See more
Hi there,

I'm a newcomer to Canada and also freelance here, based in Ontario. I've now reached the threshold for registering for HST/GST, I just wanted to check my understanding with other translators, because I feel like translating is quite a specific case, since its a service and income comes from all over the place and in different currencies.

Background: Most customers are abroad, and I receive money in different currencies. But some clients in different provinces in Canada (so far: Alberta, BC, ON).

Can you check my assumptions are correct?

1. Charge the relevant HST/GST/PST for the province I am selling to. Don't charge customers abroad.

2. Signing up for the quick accounting method is best. I don't have many input taxes, and this way I can remit less tax than I charge. I guess I still pay back the full GST + PST from non-participating provinces, is that right?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Frances
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:43
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Taxes Apr 5, 2017

1. Charge the relevant GST/HST for the province you are selling to.
2. Don't charge PST. For example, when you sell to Quebec from Ontario you will charge 5% GST, but not the QST.
3. Don't charge sales tax for any sales outside Canada.

Do take advantage of any relevant Input Tax Credits (GST or HST) you can, they reduce the tax payable from what you collect from clients.

Frances Nichol
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the reply! Apr 5, 2017

It's helpful. I didn't know that I don't charge PST. This page seems to lay out the rules...it's complicated!:

http://canadabusiness.ca/government/taxes-gst-hst/federal-tax-information/overview-of-charging-and-collecting-sales-tax/#toc0

In terms of input taxes, because I don't buy much
... See more
It's helpful. I didn't know that I don't charge PST. This page seems to lay out the rules...it's complicated!:

http://canadabusiness.ca/government/taxes-gst-hst/federal-tax-information/overview-of-charging-and-collecting-sales-tax/#toc0

In terms of input taxes, because I don't buy much that includes GST that contributes to my business, I don't think my input taxes will reduce how much I remit to the gov at all. If you use the quick accounting method, then I take 5% GST but only remit the gov. 1.8%. So effectively I'd make 3.2% on each applicable job. The amount varies cos of HST etc too.

Anything else I should watch out for?
Collapse

Laura Messer
Laura Messer  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
foreign clients Apr 5, 2017

Sales to foreign clients are "zero-rated". This means, as mentioned, the tax rate for those sales is 0%. You will still have to report the sales on your HST return and that no tax applies to those sales.

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
A few tips Apr 5, 2017

Ask for a yearly assessment rather than quarterly - it's a simple form, though I'm sad to say you missed the March 31st cut-off date to do it retroactively for 2017 (you can usually do that as long as your turnover is under 1,5 million dollars, so for freelance translators, it's a no brainer) - my accountant charged 400$ each time she did my paperwork, so it saves me over a grand to do them once a year rather than 4 times a year.

Keep your receipts for anything work related because
... See more
Ask for a yearly assessment rather than quarterly - it's a simple form, though I'm sad to say you missed the March 31st cut-off date to do it retroactively for 2017 (you can usually do that as long as your turnover is under 1,5 million dollars, so for freelance translators, it's a no brainer) - my accountant charged 400$ each time she did my paperwork, so it saves me over a grand to do them once a year rather than 4 times a year.

Keep your receipts for anything work related because you can claim back the taxes paid on them (think office furniture, stamps, paper, computers, Internet services, phone, it adds up quicker than you think); credit card bills are not sufficient - you need the receipt with the tax breakdown.

Since you're in a province with a HST, you don't have to worry about PST; you charge HST for clients in Ontario and in the Maritimes and GST only in all other provinces; anything billed outside of Canada is zero rated.

If you have many Canadian clients, do remember to keep track of how much you owe if you don't want to have a nasty surprise at the end of the year.
Collapse

Frances Nichol
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the overview! Apr 6, 2017

Good tip on the annual/quarterly payments - shame I missed it!

I'm a little curious as to why neither of you use the quick accounting method? Is there a reason why you don't?

I really don't spend much on supplies that have HST/GST as many purchases are online from the US or UK, and I spend hardly anything on office supplies. HST on my bills split three ways won't add up to much either. I'm surprised if everyone else is spending so much that it is more than 3.2% of the
... See more
Good tip on the annual/quarterly payments - shame I missed it!

I'm a little curious as to why neither of you use the quick accounting method? Is there a reason why you don't?

I really don't spend much on supplies that have HST/GST as many purchases are online from the US or UK, and I spend hardly anything on office supplies. HST on my bills split three ways won't add up to much either. I'm surprised if everyone else is spending so much that it is more than 3.2% of their GST charged!

I know general expenses add up, but much isn't GST/-HST rated, obviously still goes towards reducing income tax bill.
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
Not in my province :-( Apr 6, 2017

Frances Nichol wrote:

In my case it's simple; it's not offered in Quebec.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Canadian translators registered for GST/HST/PST - advice wanted!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »